What type of people are more likely to get picked to serve Jury??

Status
Not open for further replies.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I live in baltimore, MD. I've served jury 3 times already. Each time I get called I get picked. I talk to others and they say they never get picked. It seems I'm getting targeted based on looks/race/age etc... Is there some certian "perfect jury" that makes you likely to get picked.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Non-English speaking people? My dad just got a letter for jury duty so he has to go down to show he doesn't speak English. My mom and dad gets one like every year. There really should be a timed exemption for this reason since there's no way they can learn enough English in one year to serve as a jury.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The ones who are too stupid to get out of jury duty...:biggrin:

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Registered to vote..

It was explained to me that they keep two lists & try to target the registered voters first since they are more likely to participate.

Oct 27, 2007
Do you look like this guy?
the-weasel.jpg

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Depends. Prosecutors and Defenders can challenge up to a certain amount of jurors. They are suppose to be race-neutral reasons for pre-emptitive strikes but no one is going to complain for not getting picked on a jury. They will usually look for similarities between the defendant and the jurors which may include family, profession, social status, demographics, income levels and so fourth. The more neutral you are, or in the middle, the less likely you are being challenged by either side.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I got a letter once except it went to my parents when I was in college 150 miles away; when my parents explained it to them, they said forget about it.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
You get picked because they have no reason to not pick you. Out of the selection, they weed out anybody that might have bias or otherwise wouldn't be appropriate in a jury. Like me.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I've received letters for jury duty 3 times. 2 times I was in college out of state and got out of it. The last time it was canceled for everybody. I'm 28.

Just say that you hate all blacks, hispanics, and women. Your chances are pretty good for getting out of it. Disclaimer: I chose those three because they comprise the vast majority of the US population, and I'm not in any way saying that they are more likely to go to trial than white men.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Non-English speaking people? My dad just got a letter for jury duty so he has to go down to show he doesn't speak English. My mom and dad gets one like every year. There really should be a timed exemption for this reason since there's no way they can learn enough English in one year to serve as a jury.

This... I've been selected for jury duty once in my life... my parents who immigrated to this country and doesn't speak a lick of english has been selected for a combined oh about 10+ times since I turned 18 which was 11 years ago.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I've received letters for jury duty 3 times. 2 times I was in college out of state and got out of it. The last time it was canceled for everybody. I'm 28.

Just say that you hate all blacks, hispanics, and women. Your chances are pretty good for getting out of it. Disclaimer: I chose those three because they comprise the vast majority of the US population, and I'm not in any way saying that they are more likely to go to trial than white men.

Contempt of court is not a joke....

Status
Not open for further replies.