What type of output does a video card have?

NurseRN

Oct 9, 1999

I have the following specs: "Composite video (RCA) (F) x 1 S-Video (mini-dim 4p)(F) x 1 (NTSC, PAL, SECAM)". Is it possible to connect a computer to this type of monitor?

Thanks,

N

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Is that what you're reading from the video card or the TV? ;)

It basically just means that whatever you're reading from, it can support RCA cables or S-Video. If it's for a vid card, it refers to tv-out, and if it's your tv, it's self explanatory and you will need a vid card with tv-out to connect to a tv.

NurseRN

Oct 9, 1999
After reading my own message I realized that it was a little bit misleading...That?s because I wrote it after being up for almost 24 hours. Well, this is the thing? There is this video display which I wanted connected to a computer (thus to a video card). The TFT display read the settings I gave in my initial message. Mavrick pretty much summed it up for me; thanks a lot! Just to be sure I get this right, any video card with TV out will be able to connect to this display, right?!

Thanks again,

N

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Yup. Any video card tv-out will be either S-Video or RCA (normally with a convertor from one to the other) so you're covered.

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Usually tv-out on a video card is in the form of s-video (SVHS), but some are in the form of RCA out.

If you only have RCA in on your tv, and your vid card has s-video, then you need a converter cable which usually comes with your video card when you purchase it (a small cable that is s-video male on one end and RCA female on the other end). If your tv has S-video in and your card has S-video out, then you have nothing to worry about, just get a good quality S-video cable and enjoy!