What type of hourly salary does a good bartender make?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Just like it says. Whats a good bartender make hourly at a bar or club? Just a good dance club or bar, not a restaurant.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Just like it says. Whats a good bartender make hourly at a bar or club? Just a good dance club or bar, not a restaurant.
$2.60/hr or so plus tips.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
$2.60/hr or so plus tips.

Thats its?! Even the good ones? Wow. I figured 4 or 5 at least.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Thats its?! Even the good ones? Wow. I figured 4 or 5 at least.
I am just going based off of what I know the bartenders around here make. Of course it is going to vary by city, bar, etc.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Bartenders usually make about as little as the restaurant can pay them, because if they have any skill, they'll end up being the highest-paid people in the place if you consider tips.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
if you're good looking/charming/uber bottle skills, your tips will be high. otherwise, your tips will be mediocre.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Bartenders usually make about as little as the restaurant can pay them, because if they have any skill, they'll end up being the highest-paid people in the place if you consider tips.

Precisely! I know of a bartender at First Avenue in Minneapolis who's been working there for 17 years. He's something to see. He's fast, he's like a machine. A buddy of mine who worked at the club told me that the bartender easily makes over $60,000 a year working 3-4 nights a week.

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
i used to bartend at a poplular nightclub. Made minimum wage but in a 5 hour Saterday night shift I'd make ~$300 in tips....nothin like working 4 nights a month and pulling in over $1300... :D...nevermind what i make during the week at my normal job...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the pay isn't crap. after tipout on a good night (thursday, friday, saturday) $250 or $300 isn't uncommon. depending on the place you may also be required to work other days, like wednesday or sunday, where you'd be lucky to hit $50.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Thegonagle

Precisely! I know of a bartender at First Avenue in Minneapolis who's been working there for 17 years. He's something to see. He's fast, he's like a machine. A buddy of mine who worked at the club told me that the bartender easily makes over $60,000 a year working 3-4 nights a week.

Damn, that's pretty sweet. However, 17 years of MAJOR second hand smoke is probably one of the job hazards most people don't really consider. :(

DorkBoy

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
In Charlotte, NC anywhere from $12-$25 an hour depending on experience and looks.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
In 1994, working at a bar attached to an upscale restaurant: $2.60 +tips
Monday nights during NFL - $75-90 average
Sunday & Tuesday nights - dead, tips worthless
Wednesday nights - ladies night, $25
Thursday night - $40
Friday & Saturday - $100 at the least. best night- $680 (one tip $400 - had to make the guy sign two different bar tabs to confirm the tip)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
In a busy bar, if you can fill an order for drinks every minute, you could get $1/minute in tips. Between 8pm and 2am, you could make $360 and that doesn't include big/drunk tippers. With the odd big tip you could make over $400 easy, but you would have to work your ass off for it.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: BillGates

Damn, that's pretty sweet. However, 17 years of MAJOR second hand smoke is probably one of the job hazards most people don't really consider. :(

Croiky!!! You got that right. I hadn't considered that at all. Damn. . .

I've been trying to move toward bartending, because I'm sick of delivery driving. I got a late start with college, and I'm looking at another 4 more years of it, I need a flexible job with good income. I've already been delivering for almost 3 years. So what did I do? I just got myself hired for another delivery job on Tuesday. But this time, it's at the freaking trendiest, busiest pizza place in the city (should be $150-200 a night driving on Friday and Saturday), and they have a bar! So, I'm going to find a way to start tending bar for them eventually, so I can get some experience, and then probably switch jobs again and make some bartending income without driving.

The "real" jobs come later, after my degree. Then I'll get the hell away from the second-hand smoke for good.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I wonder if cheap bars/college towns get more tips than fancy clubs in the city. I know I tip more at school cuz a drink like a red bull and vodka is like $2.00 at school whereas its like $6.00 downtown.

:beer::D:brokenheart::camera::clock::confused::cool::disgust::eek::evil::frown::gift::heart::light::lips::|:moon::music:
rolleye.gif
rose.gif
:(:Q:):sun::p:wine:;)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BillGates

or free smoke if they are a smoker and dont want to take breaks.