What type of crime is a drunk in public?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem
In this case it is his legal obligation to disclose them. Also in this case, there not a slight chance he'd be caught for not disclosing. It is almost a sure thing he'd be caught when his state does his background check in order to sit for the bar.
Ahh...good point. I didn't even think about the bar. Thanks.

pg22

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2000
Hi guys, thanks for the discussion. The funny thing is that I really don't remember what exactly was the charge/citation. I do remember the following: I was taken by the police, handcuffed, fingerprinted, kicked it in jail for the rest of the night (well, morning), and then paid some kind of fine/bail and was released when my friend picked me up. I'm pretty sure it was a Drunk in Public but I'm not in the easiest position to find out (I'm in South Korea) and I'm apply relativity soon.

I did call the local PD where it happened via Skype and they did confirm that a DIP is a misdemeanor.

Oh, and I did not ever go in front of any judge or have to go to court for it.

Thanks guys.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: killface
Depending on where you live and what exactly you were charged with, it's probably either a misdemeanor or a "local ordinance offense/violation" (wording may change depending on location). If you didn't go in front of a judge or plead guilty to a charge (which is what it sounds like), it's probably the latter, in which case no, you don't have to claim it on any application. Even if it is a misdemeanor, it may not show up on a background check depending on where you go and how thorough they check. However, if you want to be safe, just list it with an explanation on the application. It shouldn't hurt your chances much either way.

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer (but have had my share of experience with the law) so don't, by any means, rely completely on the information in this post.

Edit - Unless you're on probabtion (maybe even if you are?) you don't even have to disclose the fact that you have a misdemeanor on your record. Though, again, I'm not a lawyer and don't take what I say as gospel.

Uh DO NOT take his advice, because it might not pop up initially when you apply to law school. This is unlikely but possible since law schools arent as thorough. However it WILL pop up when your state does your character fitness background check when you sit for the bar. If you did not disclose it on your law school app you just paid $60k+ not to be a lawyer. If you arent 100% honest and truthful on your law school application. It WILL come back to haunt you because your state will find out and you will be SOL and out $60k+.

Even if you got probation you have to list it. The ONLY way you do NOT have to list something is if you had something exponged.
$60k is being very conservative, FWIW. A better conservative estimate would be $90k.

pg22

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2000
Ya, I noticed that. Looking at the tuition at the top 50 schools is damn near $30k a year.

:eek:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: chambersc
Depending on where you live and what exactly you were charged with, it's probably either a misdemeanor or a "local ordinance offense/violation" (wording may change depending on location). If you didn't go in front of a judge or plead guilty to a charge (which is what it sounds like), it's probably the latter, in which case no, you don't have to claim it on any application. Even if it is a misdemeanor, it may not show up on a background check depending on where you go and how thorough they check. However, if you want to be safe, just list it with an explanation on the application. It shouldn't hurt your chances much either way.

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer (but have had my share of experience with the law) so don't, by any means, rely completely on the information in this post.

Edit - Unless you're on probabtion (maybe even if you are?) you don't even have to disclose the fact that you have a misdemeanor on your record. Though, again, I'm not a lawyer and don't take what I say as gospel.

Uh DO NOT take his advice, because it might not pop up initially when you apply to law school. This is unlikely but possible since law schools arent as thorough. However it WILL pop up when your state does your character fitness background check when you sit for the bar. If you did not disclose it on your law school app you just paid $60k+ not to be a lawyer. If you arent 100% honest and truthful on your law school application. It WILL come back to haunt you because your state will find out and you will be SOL and out $60k+.

Even if you got probation you have to list it. The ONLY way you do NOT have to list something is if you had something exponged.
$60k is being very conservative, FWIW. A better conservative estimate would be $90k.

Im using state school figures. The avg amount of loans a UT law student takes out is around $67k.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005

Im using state school figures. The avg amount of loans a UT law student takes out is around $67k.

Ah, state school figures. Yes, you're right then.

Originally posted by: pg22
Ya, I noticed that. Looking at the tuition at the top 50 schools is damn near $30k a year.

:eek:

Try more like $35-39k a year.

I'm also going to be taking a stab at the law school business when I finish up with my undergrad degrees.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Publix intoxication..drunk in public..drunk & disorderly..

None of the above would be felonies.

Well, i have been charged with two of the above along with attempting to incite a riot and i never went to court so i couldnt tell you if they are felons are not. Hey! Who the hell is banging on my ... ack!

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: joshsquall
In California, it is a misdemeanor charged under section 647, disorderly conduct.
Ok, since you seem to know about this stuff (at least in cali), is it required that you disclose misdemeanors on job applications, even if they ask? I know felonies are required, but what about in his case?

I have never seen a job app for a normal job that asked about anything other than felonies.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Found this on a law school application:

I understand that any misrepresentation or material omission regarding anyinformation requested by this application may result in denial of admission to this or any other law school and referral to the LawSchool Admission Council. If such misrepresentations or omissions are discovered after admission, possible ramifications include a revocation of admission, dismissal or a charge under The Code of Student Conduct of Loyola University Chicago School of Law. If discovered after graduation, one?s ability to practice law may be adversely affected. I further understand that the information contained in this application may be considered by bar examination authorities during their investigation of my character and fitness for the practice of law.

So yeah, I would disclose it. Better safe than sorry.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by: doze
Originally posted by: joshsquall
In California, it is a misdemeanor charged under section 647, disorderly conduct.
Ok, since you seem to know about this stuff (at least in cali), is it required that you disclose misdemeanors on job applications, even if they ask? I know felonies are required, but what about in his case?

I have never seen a job app for a normal job that asked about anything other than felonies.
I've had to fill out lots of apps that ask for *any* crimes, not just felonies. Being on probation, I have had to explain my charge more than a few times.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by: pg22
Hi guys, thanks for the discussion. The funny thing is that I really don't remember what exactly was the charge/citation. I do remember the following: I was taken by the police, handcuffed, fingerprinted, kicked it in jail for the rest of the night (well, morning), and then paid some kind of fine/bail and was released when my friend picked me up. I'm pretty sure it was a Drunk in Public but I'm not in the easiest position to find out (I'm in South Korea) and I'm apply relativity soon.

I did call the local PD where it happened via Skype and they did confirm that a DIP is a misdemeanor.

Oh, and I did not ever go in front of any judge or have to go to court for it.

Thanks guys.
Just being locked up and finger printed doesn't necessarily mean you were charged with anything. Last month, I went through pretty much the same thing (taken away in handcuffs, locked up, etc), but never charged with anything directly. I was basically just "detained."