What type of crime is a drunk in public?

pg22

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2000
Hi, I know I need to get some more solid confirmation, but I figured I'd ask here as well. I had an incident a few years back where I was taken in, and kicked it in the drunk tank for the night. I was cited, and had to pay a fine. But I can't remember exactly what for, but I'm 95% sure it was drunk in public.

Clearly this isn't a felony but is this a misdemeanor?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
It should be a felony punishable by deportation to Australia.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Publix intoxication..drunk in public..drunk & disorderly..

None of the above would be felonies.

pg22

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2000
I know, but I'm applying to law schools and they will ask if I've ever been convicted of a felony OR misdemeanor (other than traffic violation).

I assume it is a misdemeanor, but I'd like to be sure.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pg22
I know, but I'm applying to law schools and they will ask if I've ever been convicted of a felony OR misdemeanor (other than traffic violation).

Google FTW?

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

You want to go into law school and you don't know how to research this on your own?

You are doomed.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Depending on where you live and what exactly you were charged with, it's probably either a misdemeanor or a "local ordinance offense/violation" (wording may change depending on location). If you didn't go in front of a judge or plead guilty to a charge (which is what it sounds like), it's probably the latter, in which case no, you don't have to claim it on any application. Even if it is a misdemeanor, it may not show up on a background check depending on where you go and how thorough they check. However, if you want to be safe, just list it with an explanation on the application. It shouldn't hurt your chances much either way.

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer (but have had my share of experience with the law) so don't, by any means, rely completely on the information in this post.

Edit - Unless you're on probabtion (maybe even if you are?) you don't even have to disclose the fact that you have a misdemeanor on your record. Though, again, I'm not a lawyer and don't take what I say as gospel.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Law schools typically will overlook alcoholic indiscretions as long as you don't have a repeated history of it.

If you have five or six alcohol offenses, good luck getting in to law schools. One or two? They will overlook it.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
In California, it is a misdemeanor charged under section 647, disorderly conduct.
Ok, since you seem to know about this stuff (at least in cali), is it required that you disclose misdemeanors on job applications, even if they ask? I know felonies are required, but what about in his case?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: killface
Depending on where you live and what exactly you were charged with, it's probably either a misdemeanor or a "local ordinance offense/violation" (wording may change depending on location). If you didn't go in front of a judge or plead guilty to a charge (which is what it sounds like), it's probably the latter, in which case no, you don't have to claim it on any application. Even if it is a misdemeanor, it may not show up on a background check depending on where you go and how thorough they check. However, if you want to be safe, just list it with an explanation on the application. It shouldn't hurt your chances much either way.

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer (but have had my share of experience with the law) so don't, by any means, rely completely on the information in this post.

Edit - Unless you're on probabtion (maybe even if you are?) you don't even have to disclose the fact that you have a misdemeanor on your record. Though, again, I'm not a lawyer and don't take what I say as gospel.

Uh DO NOT take his advice, because it might not pop up initially when you apply to law school. This is unlikely but possible since law schools arent as thorough. However it WILL pop up when your state does your character fitness background check when you sit for the bar. If you did not disclose it on your law school app you just paid $60k+ not to be a lawyer. If you arent 100% honest and truthful on your law school application. It WILL come back to haunt you because your state will find out and you will be SOL and out $60k+.

Even if you got probation you have to list it. The ONLY way you do NOT have to list something is if you had something exponged.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Psst...it's probably one of the requirements for getting in.

If you have a clean record, they might assume that you have morals, and that doesn't fly in law school.

Though I suppose it could also indicate that you're really good at not getting caught...hmm...I'll have to think about this.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
In California, it is a misdemeanor charged under section 647, disorderly conduct.
Ok, since you seem to know about this stuff (at least in cali), is it required that you disclose misdemeanors on job applications, even if they ask? I know felonies are required, but what about in his case?

This is not a job application. Its a law school application.

You have to list anything they want. Some law schools now require you to give them your arrest record, not just convictions.

You're fvcked if you do not disclose something that they asked for.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec

Psst...it's probably one of the requirements for getting in.

If you have a clean record, they might assume that you have morals, and that doesn't fly in law school.

Though I suppose it could also indicate that you're really good at not getting caught...hmm...I'll have to think about this.

A MIP, PI, or your first DUI/DWI will NOT prevent you from going to law school in most cases.

Now, theft, assualt, and any type of fraud will. Alcoholic offenses, unless repeated, are generally considered youthful indiscretion. The OP should be fine unless he has other things on his record.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The best results in these types of situations come from honesty. You need to do research on your local/state laws and see what your offense is classified as. It is possible it is just an "infraction" but you should certainly find out. Honestly, even if it is an infraction, it might be worthwhile to list it just to avoid any future problems. You want to be very ethical in this situation, so you might even need to speak with the admissions department of where you are going to apply.

As another poster already mentioned, it is very unlikely that a Public Intoxication ticket or offense will disqualify you from law school. Not disclosing it, however, very likely could, or at least create problems down the road.

Be honest and ethical. You will feel better.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
You're supposed to start that after you finish your 1L finals, you're way ahead of the class imo.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Regardless of whether or not you are legally obligated to disclose these convictions, I definitely would. It is always better to be honest about these things if there is even the slightest chance that they can catch you in a lie.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Regardless of whether or not you are legally obligated to disclose these convictions, I definitely would. It is always better to be honest about these things if there is even the slightest chance that they can catch you in a lie.

In this case it is his legal obligation to disclose them. Also in this case, there not a slight chance he'd be caught for not disclosing. It is almost a sure thing he'd be caught when his state does his background check in order to sit for the bar.