What TV to get?

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Alrighty, Im in the market for a new TV and have no idea whats the best or what. All the reviews I find are crap and I just dont trust CR at all (whether they are right or not). Obviously color accuracy, contrast, and the like are important and I assume for the money I spend they will be more or less accurate, but I know some are better than others.

Basics:
$2000ish to spend
50+" (probably 52")
HDMI for PS3/computer
120hz+
No preference as to which type, DLP/LCD/Plasma/etc.
It does not have to have speakers or anything of the sort, already have a nice 7.1 system.
Have minimal glare, or bright enough so it doesn't matter.

The price is adjustable quite a bit as I get a rather generous discount through my employer for pretty much every manufacturer, some more, some less. So what do y'all recommend for me?

Edit: on second thought, I do need 4 in ceiling speakers since I cant use the current sides and rear of my system because the height of the room is too low for anything hanging down, so what do y'all think for 110w continuous at 8(6?)ohm, size isn't terribly important.

Last edited:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
For $2000ish you may still be able to pick up the best of the best HDTVs which is the Pioneer 101FD. Best Buy would be you're best bet of finding one in stock.

If not, the second best would be either a Panasonic VT series or Samsung 7000/8000 series plasma.

If you want an LCD, you are going to have to pay more for something comparable. But Samsung (8000) and Sony (NX810/HX800) are worth checking out.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
50-54 in Panny VT25 for a plasma

Vizio VF553XVT for a LCD

Is there a forum you dont look at? Get back to your wow thread!

I would NOT be buying from BB, this is all through my work website which links to whoever's website.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
lol no

however Jack is right if you can find a Kuro it would be the TV to get, if not then what i posted holds true. however both the 50 and 54 Panny cost more then 2k (fucking 3d) but the VT series is the best plasma made right now.

the Vizio can be had for less then 2k and has an impressive list of features for its price, and has been reviewed well.

LG and Sammy make plasmas that are just below the panny in terms of PQ but have some quirks. they however are cheaper

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the G25 is a great TV (i have one), however its greatness is highly dependent on your sensitivity to floating blacks

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
the G25 is a great TV (i have one), however its greatness is highly dependent on your sensitivity to floating blacks

Well, I have two older Panasonic plasmas already (TH-42PZ80U and the TH-50PX60U) so I would assume the G25 is better than either; I am happy with both of the older units. I just can't see paying the huge premium to go with the VT25 series.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What's the room like?
Light controlled?
Is it rented or owned?

Have you considered a projector? And if so, here's one to consider...

$1400 buys you a kickass Mitsubishi HC3800 DLP projetor and a 106 inch motorized screen and a mount.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11531436

Picture quality is fantastic and it's big enough that you can sit from 8 to 30 feet back and it looks great.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Projector wont work, there are no shades yet (however there will be someday) and its very sunny and open to light, so either very bright or some kind of good anti-glare is a must. This a lake house, so naturally I have a view of the lake spanning across the entire rear of the house, which means anit-glare is important.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Panasonic Professional.
Should be able to get the 58" in that ballpark.
Amazing value if you don't need speakers or a tuner.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I bought the Visio 55" LED LCD a few months ago. The picture was fantastic except for the stuck red pixel near the center. I kept it for a couple month (for the World Cup) and wanted to exchange it for another but they never got one back in stock so I ended up returning it to Costco.

I'll probably go back there when the newer/large TVs come out this fall or winter and get another or stick with our puny 32" and use the money towards a better car.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
I bought the Visio 55" LED LCD a few months ago. The picture was fantastic except for the stuck red pixel near the center. I kept it for a couple month (for the World Cup) and wanted to exchange it for another but they never got one back in stock so I ended up returning it to Costco.

I'll probably go back there when the newer/large TVs come out this fall or winter and get another or stick with our puny 32" and use the money towards a better car.

I would like this in a 60 or 65, LED TV that is...already have a 50 LCD and want something bigger