Question What to do with unused Ryzen coolers?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Howdy folks,

I've been pondering upon this simple question for a while, as someone who has built two Ryzen systems with AIO water cooling: what can be done with the original Spire heatsinks and fans?

Many people suggest in various build threads that these can be sold - but honestly, I've yet to see anyone ask for Spire coolers anywhere.

So what can be done with them? Can they be adapted for a different platform or use scenario? I'm really curious....

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Spire is garbage... id put them in the recycle bin and let them turn into future beer can's seeing how they are made of alu.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wasn't the original Wraith Spire the one with the copper slug? The one that came with the 1600 AE CPU? I've got a potential buyer for my Ryzen 1600 AE rig talking to me right now, and he was asking if I had the stock cooler. I think that I only have a Wraith Stealth cooler on there. So maybe he or I would be interested in a Spire. I offered him a 120mm CoolerMaster AIO for $50 additional. (He said he wanted to OC.) Waiting to hear back from him.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
Spire is garbage... id put them in the recycle bin and let them turn into future beer can's seeing how they are made of alu.
The original copper core spires are actually quite good. The newer all aluminum versions with high speed fans are pretty crap though. Obviously the stealth is junk as well.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
eventually your aio will fail and you will need something for when you RMA it. i guess you can purchase a 3rd aio at that point or use the stock cooling

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I just keep mine as a backup. I honestly wish AMD sold CPU's without a cooler at all. Seems like such a waste to have them be a required item when buying.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I just keep mine as a backup. I honestly wish AMD sold CPU's without a cooler at all. Seems like such a waste to have them be a required item when buying.

i think this is why most of the HEDT chips do not come with a cooler.
Its telling you:

"We will not embarrass ourself to customers who can afford HEDT and give you poor heatsinks to add to the already extravagant cost on the cpu. "

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

That is totally untrue. The Wraith Prism and Wraith Spire with the copper slug are very good stock coolers. The Wraith Stealth not so much.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
The original copper core spires are actually quite good. The newer all aluminum versions with high speed fans are pretty crap though. Obviously the stealth is junk as well.

100% correct. The original Wraith Spire with the copper core and the Wraith Prism are excellent stock coolers. The tiny, all aluminum Wraith Stealth is best used as a paper weight.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
That is totally untrue. The Wraith Prism and Wraith Spire with the copper slug are very good stock coolers. The Wraith Stealth not so much.

I am confused, did you mean to quote somebody else? At no point did I say the coolers were good or bad. I (and many others) just want to be able to buy a CPU without one.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I am confused, did you mean to quote somebody else? At no point did I say the coolers were good or bad. I (and many others) just want to be able to buy a CPU without one.

Maybe I was unclear. AMD for the most part ships adequate coolers with their cpu's which is good for the majority of users so it makes sense for them to do so. Pretty sure that the high end cpu's like the 3950X and Threadripper cpu's come without coolers for obvious reasons.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe I was unclear. AMD for the most part ships adequate coolers with their cpu's which is good for the majority of users so it makes sense for them to do so. Pretty sure that the high end cpu's like the 3950X and Threadripper cpu's come without coolers for obvious reasons.

Ok, but I can easily buy Intel CPU's without a cooler. I should be able to do the same for AMD. Not only am I tossing away money on something I won't use, but I hate seeing resources go into something that literally will just sit in my closet. Just think about how much aluminum and copper go into making millions of heat sinks, many of which will never be used.