• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

What to do with my old computer games?

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I'm cleaning out the closet and going through my old game collection. I had been keeping them for nostalgia, but I see that some are worth a few bucks now. Guess it's Gen X like me with money to spend and want that nostalgia back. Question is, sell them or keep them? I know it's a personal decision, but I was hoping someone here would be into game collecting and could give some insight into the market. i.e sell now as they will be worthless later.

Just to name a few
Doom 1 with box and 3.5"
Sid Meier's Pirates! from 87'
Police Quest 3
Space Quest 4 from the good ole sierra days
Wing Commander 1

GodisanAtheist

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2006
Like @shortylickens suggested, you can pull all their contents together and sell the games for some cash, but if you're feeling nostalgic about them that might not be appealing.

Old game boxes can actually make some fun game room wall art. As a kid I used to pin the boxes of my favorite games to my wall, but I'm sure there are nicer shadow box-esq frames that can display them nicely.

My plan with all my jewel case games is to put the disc cover art of my favorite games into those case display frames and put them up in the computer/office room, then just keep the CDs in one of those big CD binder for posterity.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have kept all my old boxes, CDs and manuals in a big box at my parents' house, going back to the 90s. Some of them are actually quite rare and hard to find now, even electronic copies.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Old game boxes can actually make some fun game room wall art. As a kid I used to pin the boxes of my favorite games to my wall, but I'm sure there are nicer shadow box-esq frames that can display them nicely.
That was actually my plan. I just never had a dedicated room. Now I have my own man cave i've been thinking about it again. I guess i'll follow Marie Kondo and ask which ones spark joy for me. Pirates! was the first game I bought and logged no telling how many hours playing. Doom for the wow factor. Seeing 3 720k files on the local bbs for the shareware version and saying What?! That's absurd, that will take me forever to download!

WhiteNoise

Jun 22, 2016
I still have a bunch of my old games. I sold 200 PC games in the box around 13 years ago because my new wife told me they had to go. I didn't make much on them tbh and I wish I would have just kept them. I still have 50 or so old PC games that I refused to get rid of.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
If you are nostalgic, you'll regret selling them. But if nostalgia isn't much of a thing for you, go ahead and sell them.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
IMO the small amount of money you get from selling them isn't worth the hassle of doing it. I've regretted every sale I've made, and the money I got was never worth it.

WhiteNoise

Jun 22, 2016
I have sold so many consoles, console games and PC games and I regret all of them. Now I keep them all and consider them part of my gaming collection. They all have a place on my bookshelves.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
Once I was confident that I couldn't be forced out of business, either through competition or something else, I would run the thing overnight and be shocked at what was there come morning. The competition was so far ahead of me it was amusing. My strategy, as always, was to build a single track/road length across their road/track with two stations on either side and start a engine/truck and park it on that one segment to take out their train or cause a pile up. It worked beautifully. Then I would build a competing airport and a station next to their airport and build a railway or bus line between the two. Siphoned off their customers.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I donated some and threw away some a long time ago and never regretted. If I feel nostalgic I can just go to gog for the digital copies that can run on modern systems. Though I can understand if you have a large collection with original boxes and you have the room, it's kind of cool to show them off in bookcase, like the local pc game shop back in the days.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Unless you need the $$$ I would keep them. I still have all of my old game boxes. All of the infocom games and boxes and all the crap that came with them. Like the glow in the dark rock that came in the infocom game "Wishbringer". One of my favorite boxes was the OG one that stonekeep came in.

1614882501380.png

ASK THE COMMUNITY