What to do with a big, old compressor

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep put it on the front lawn with a sign that says "free". It will be gone in 15 minutes. I've done this for large items I did not want to be bothered with trying to get rid of, but that I also did not really want to go to waste.

Or in my city you just need to leave the garage door unlocked and it should be gone within a few days and so will everything else. :p
Believe you me, I have no way of getting this thing from my garage to the front lawn. I doubt you could either without a forklift. The two very small steel wheels you see beneath the bottom plate on only one end are frozen with rust. Even the swiveling pull rod is frozen at an angle and you can't pull it straight, it's at around a 15 degree angle to straight. It swivels up and down but not side to side. A pallet jack might work, but it would have to be lifted onto it. I figure a Craigslist post is a place to start. Whoever wants this thing is going to have to have some junkyard chops to grab it.

Last edited:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If it doesn't have any sentimental value, get rid of it!
Its displacement isn't very large. A single stage unit may reach 100 psig. At that pressure you're looking at less than 1 cubic foot delivery per minute.
If you used air very intermittently you could connect it to a larger tank, say from an old water heater and be able to run an impact wrench or air hammer, etc. for a minute or two.
Then wait 1/2 hour to recharge the tank! :p

Reactions: Crono

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I'd throw that up on Craigslist for $40 to see if anyone will take it away. I'd leave it up for months waiting for someone to bite, and I'd hand it off for $30 if someone was to offer.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Its displacement isn't very large. A single stage unit may reach 100 psig. At that pressure you're looking at less than 1 cubic foot delivery per minute.
If you used air very intermittently you could connect it to a larger tank, say from an old water heater and be able to run an impact wrench or air hammer, etc. for a minute or two.

I'd throw that up on Craigslist for $40 to see if anyone will take it away. I'd leave it up for months waiting for someone to bite, and I'd hand it off for $30 if someone was to offer.
No sentimental value at all.

On Friday I put up this listing at Craigslist ("FREE"). Not a nibble yet. Maybe I should have asked for some money. I'd be happy enough if someone would just take it away. There's no hurry, really, it's been sitting in the garage for decades. It can stay there a while, I shouldn't get antsy.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I just talked to the roofer, he had an opening for today... I called too late, was gone last night when he left the message. We'll schedule soon when they have another opening. I mentioned the "big, old compressor." He said they use smaller portable ones, they wouldn't have a use for it. I asked about them doing something with it for me and he said he'd look at it, maybe they'd "dump it" for a fee.

I'm wondering if I can get someone to take it for free.

Is it worth money in "scrap?"

Couldn't hurt posting it on Craigslist, I'd wager someone will come take it for free.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
No sentimental value at all.

On Friday I put up this listing at Craigslist ("FREE"). Not a nibble yet. Maybe I should have asked for some money. I'd be happy enough if someone would just take it away. There's no hurry, really, it's been sitting in the garage for decades. It can stay there a while, I shouldn't get antsy.

You should make sure you label it as "Antique", might get more interest that way.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Believe you me, I have no way of getting this thing from my garage to the front lawn. I doubt you could either without a forklift. The two very small steel wheels you see beneath the bottom plate on only one end are frozen with rust. Even the swiveling pull rod is frozen at an angle and you can't pull it straight, it's at around a 15 degree angle to straight. It swivels up and down but not side to side. A pallet jack might work, but it would have to be lifted onto it. I figure a Craigslist post is a place to start. Whoever wants this thing is going to have to have some junkyard chops to grab it.

When there's a will there's a way. Is there any stairs involved? If not you can just jack it up put it on some rollers and move it. But if it's that heavy it might take longer for someone to grab it. Worth a shot though.

If anything, keep the motor, scrap the rest. I'm sure that motor can be used for something.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
When there's a will there's a way. Is there any stairs involved? If not you can just jack it up put it on some rollers and move it. But if it's that heavy it might take longer for someone to grab it. Worth a shot though.

If anything, keep the motor, scrap the rest. I'm sure that motor can be used for something.
Good idea, I could jack it up... somehow. I have a furniture dolly, one of those hardwood things on rollers I bought at Harbor Freight. Don't know if I've ever used it. I actually bought the smaller size (they have 2, IIRC) and I adapted it to make it the size of the larger one. I don't know if it's strong enough to hold that thing without breaking. There are no steps involved, but the long driverway (around 50 feet to negotiate), is pretty dicey. It's a two strip concrete driveway, wish it was one solid concrete strip because I have to weed it all the time. Worst thing about that driveway, though, is that there's a depression between the garage and the sidewalk. In any case, I don't think the dolly can roll on the concrete, the strips are too narrow. Maybe I could manage it somehow but if the wheels bite into the dirt, probably not.

Just measured -- the dolly's wheels are ~13.5" apart on the width. Distance between front and back wheels is about 28". It's big enough, I suppose. Would it break? Maybe. The concrete strips are each about 16" wide (not much leeway!). One of the strips is a lot better than the other. I could drag it down the better strip. There's a portion where it would be an upgrade. Not a steep grade, but any kind of grade will necessitate a lot more force. The wheels are very good, though, big ball bearing wheels. It's a maybe. So, I can maybe get it to the sidewalk. How to get it in a truck? Some kind of lift, I'm thinking, or maybe 2 big guys or 4 ordinary hombres.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just got a call from a guy who saw the Craigslist listing and sounds totally into coming over and taking the whole thing away. He says his interest is actually in the motor. He has business here in a day or two and will get back to me on a time to come by. Says he has pallet jack, truck, some other equipment if necessary. We talked about 10 minutes, I think it will work.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Went to "a good home." This guy knows his stuff. He says he can get a pulley for it if he wants, but it's really the Century motor he likes. He spun the pulley some and determined that the compressor works and the motor spins freely. He's a machinist, does a lot of old parts restoration, it's kind of a hobby. The roofers helped me drag it to the sidewalk. From there a hydraulic lift allowed us to lift it onto his GMC 4x4's bed. No money changed hands. We had a long fruitful chat. He gave me some ideas on solving a puddling problem I have on the side of the house when it rains heavily (which it did last winter, the wettest on record here).

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Went to "a good home." This guy knows his stuff. He says he can get a pulley for it if he wants, but it's really the Century motor he likes. He spun the pulley some and determined that the compressor works and the motor spins freely. He's a machinist, does a lot of old parts restoration, it's kind of a hobby. The roofers helped me drag it to the sidewalk. From there a hydraulic lift allowed us to lift it onto his GMC 4x4's bed. No money changed hands. We had a long fruitful chat. He gave me some ideas on solving a puddling problem I have on the side of the house when it rains heavily (which it did last winter, the wettest on record here).

I'm happy for you. I still think you could have gotten some money for it. Instead, you'll get some karma. Sometimes that's even more valuable!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Glad to hear it won't be wasted. It was certainly worth more than scrap value for the right person.