What to do in San Francisco?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
So I'm flying into San Francisco in mid-May with my wife and 3-month old. We'll be in town for two weekends, but driving to Reno and back the Tues-Thursday inbetween. Other than catching a Giants and A's game (which I'm planning on), what's there to do in the region? Any reason to stop in Sacramento? I'm sure we'll take our time driving through Tahoe. What else is in the Bay area that we should see? Where should I stay in SF, near downtown? I'd rather not rent a car more than I have to, so easy access to public transportation would be preferred. Also will spend a at least part of the time in Mountain View.

Thanks!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Hook up with some gentle people. But be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

Also, Muir Woods just north of the Golden Gate Bridge is nice. Check the bus routes. IIRC, there is one that makes it all the way out to Muir Woods. Muir Beach is nice as well but probably a wee bit cold at the moment.
Walk the coast and see the WW2 batteries.

Last edited:

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
SF you say; PARADES!!!!

gay-parade-20.4.jpg

COLT_guys_(San_Francisco_Gay_Parade_2006).jpg

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
You can buy a muni/city bus pass that allows you to take all the public transportation, busses, trolleys, cable cars. You can manage to get just about anywhere with that.

The Greyline bus tour company has a great city tour. You can take that city tour and it will take you all over the city. It really gives you a good overview. Then you will know what sites you want to go back to so you can spend more time.

Visit Pier 39/Warf really tourist trap but lots of stuff to do.
Alcatraz is one of those trips that you have to do once.

You can rent bikes and bike across the Golden Gate bridge and then ride into Sausalito. There you can catch a boat back to the city.

Coit tower is cool, great view.

Also you can make a full day out of Golden Gate park. Tons of things to do there. Also new Science Museum opened there.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Make sure you take some homeless people with you when you leave.

Thanks.

MotionMan

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm sure the homeless people wouldn't want to go any where else. The city treat them better than other places.

Uh homeless people get tickets from the police up there now, I wouldn't say that's good treatment.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Alcatraz, SF Zoo, Oakland Zoo, China Town, eat some crab on the wharf/pier. Drink wine in Napa. Tons of great restaurants in SF if you can afford them. Stroll through Golden Gate park and walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lawrence Hall of Science on the UC Berkeley campus.

Drive to Santa Cruz and explore the Boardwalk.

Stop in Sacramento and see Sutters Fort

Stop in Coloma and see where the Gold Rush started

In Reno, go to Virginia City for the day and tour the Silver mines and get a scoop of ice cream.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Mountain View is pretty far away from San Francisco, about 40 miles (traffic can be bad during rush hour), so plan accordingly. Computer History museum in mountain view is a pretty neat place.

Fisherman's wharf is a giant tourist trap, but Alcatraz is pretty cool.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Wine and cheese shops, bring plenty of bottled water, make sure not to bring your gun, unless it is Hello Kitty AR-15.

eliteorange

Jul 23, 2001
SF:
might need a car for these or take a few muni
sutro bath, (from there w/ the free parking you can hike up to Golden gate about 3 miles) de young art museum academy of science(both in golden gate park), twin peaks(night view is amazing, but will get cold at night)
and your typical stuff with in close to downtown area; japantown, chinatown, union square, pier 39/fisherman wharf, coit, maybe haight/ashbury, .

Mountain View : not much here, there's shoreline park further up from google HQ, and food and drinks at downtown castro st.(the worry free one), NASA hanger one, you can view it from distance, not sure about actually goin inside NASA campus.

Napa valley vineyards is a good alternative IMO, or you can go south about 3hr to Monterrey bay/carmel/pebble beach.

Last edited:

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
I will also recommend a drive on Hwy 1 along the coastline.

As mentioned by others:
Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito. You can drive all the way to the light house on the hills on the North side of Golden Gate in Sausalito. There also a small fort underneath the Golden Gate on the South end (SF side).
Golden Gate Park, Coit Tower, Fisherman's wharf, driver down Crooked St., Union Square
Look up for beaches if you are willing to drive little further. Also, Muir woods (i think already mentioned)
Napa Wineries (if you are into it)
Santa Cruz boardwalk is there (already mentioned). Also, Monterey Bay Aquarium is another option.