Question What to buy? Limited Budget. RTX 2060 or GTX 1070 Ti (Used/cheaper)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Looking to replace my good ole GTX 970, it has served me well for the past 3 years but its now time to upgrade and pass this baby on to a new owner. I was wondering what are the Pros or Cons between the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1070 ti? No interested on Ray Tracing and it won't be used (Maybe just tested to see what is about but I don't care for it) Just overall performance is about the same in both cards. The RTX 2060 out performs the GTX 1070ti on some aspects and vice versa.

I can save a few dollars on the GTX 1070 ti, but which one should I really get? RTX 2060 drops Tuesday next week.

Looking forward to the input. Looking to buy one in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Didn't someone look into this on a legal level? IE the wording is specific for resellers/wholesellers, ie gray markets.

At least in the second-hand sale laws (or whatever they were called) already showed this is not what the wording was for. It is for people/companies/vendors attempting to take the codes and selling them separately.

I haven't been in the FS/FT sub-section of Anandtech in a while but I've bought a few codes from people posting them there.

I'm speaking from memory, but I remember this went through a huge discussion, not sure if it was this forum (though I do recall it). There is no legal action, I believe, they can execute of legit buyers who are now trying to sell their codes second-hand.

I think this is exactly why NV went through the extra steps of locking their game code redeeming function to their Gaming Experience program. Thankfully, AMD has nothing similar (yet).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Didn't someone look into this on a legal level? IE the wording is specific for resellers/wholesellers, ie gray markets.

At least in the second-hand sale laws (or whatever they were called) already showed this is not what the wording was for. It is for people/companies/vendors attempting to take the codes and selling them separately.

I haven't been in the FS/FT sub-section of Anandtech in a while but I've bought a few codes from people posting them there.

I'm speaking from memory, but I remember this went through a huge discussion, not sure if it was this forum (though I do recall it). There is no legal action, I believe, they can execute of legit buyers who are now trying to sell their codes second-hand.

I think this is exactly why NV went through the extra steps of locking their game code redeeming function to their Gaming Experience program. Thankfully, AMD has nothing similar (yet).

Not that I've seen. I know that companies like AMD used to not care about reselling the game codes, as I used to do it here and on places like Ebay.

All I know now is they all legally forbid it in their terms and conditions (maybe it's a result of the game publishers?), so as long as they do that, they aren't allowed to be sold here, and ones I've seen listed get locked immediately in the FS/FT forums. If this is something someone wants to discuss in an official capacity, create a post in moderator discussions. I just responded to the OP's question a regular user who has sold these types of codes in the past (before the change in the terms and conditions), and I'm not moderating this thread in any way.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Not that I've seen. I know that companies like AMD used to not care about reselling the game codes, as I used to do it here and on places like Ebay.

All I know now is they all legally forbid it in their terms and conditions (maybe it's a result of the game publishers?), so as long as they do that, they aren't allowed to be sold here, and ones I've seen listed get locked immediately in the FS/FT forums. If this is something someone wants to discuss in an official capacity, create a post in moderator discussions. I just responded to the OP's question a regular user who has sold these types of codes in the past (before the change in the terms and conditions), and I'm not moderating this thread in any way.
Thanks Admin. Appreciate the heads up tho.

Reactions: UsandThem

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

No, no, just curious if this has changed. As far as I've known (dating back to my Sega days) they'd also slap a "not for resale" sticker on the "freebies." Not trying to make a big issue, but I just remember this issue coming up, yet again, when the whole used gaming market was coming under fire.

Ultimately, it is a publisher's intentions to preserve their profits, but I'm like 1000% positive those things don't apply to end users, only middle men. Otherwise they'd strip the codes, and then sell them separately (at a discount of course). Why the gray market is becoming so bad. Buy stuff cheap else where, sell for more else where.

End of it for me, not trying to derail, just something I briefly remembered. (Last code I think I bought on FS/FT was back during Never Settle II bundle).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
No, no, just curious if this has changed. As far as I've known (dating back to my Sega days) they'd also slap a "not for resale" sticker on the "freebies." Not trying to make a big issue, but I just remember this issue coming up, yet again, when the whole used gaming market was coming under fire.

I do know that if someone posts a game / software key in the FS/FT forum where the issuing company forbids the resell of it, it would be immediately locked.

There was something similar I recall with World of Warcraft accounts (it's been a long time, haven't followed if it had changed with Blizzard) where they forbid selling the account in their terms and conditions. It all comes to do what the company's legal department puts in the fine print.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Sure this thread is dead by now Hahaha. Anyway I got my RTX 2060 three days ago and I must say I am Loving it. I wish the RGB was brighter but its no big deal.
51840054_10157155992451979_7019535252540358656_o.jpg

51916279_10157155992136979_4796792030778884096_o.jpg