What the.........

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I packed my PC away for moving last November. Got it out a few days ago, everything appeared normal, but couple of hours ago...everything in the "My Documents" folder is gone. (Except, for some reason, some GameFly/BF2 stuff) :rolleyes: As far as I can tell, EVERYTHING else is fine...just the documents folder.

Windows 7, Toshiba Q series SSD 256 gb, maybe 30 gb free space.

Didn't show up in the trash either.

Nothing unusual in rhe events log that I can see either. No recent restore points that will help, and, of course, none of it was backed up. :eek:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It's a shame they don't invent something small and portable, maybe that plugs into a USB port since those are so common now, that would allow making a backup of the small important documents.

Kidding aside, I would immediately turn off the computer with the power button (not windows shutdown writing anything more to it, mount the drive in a different system (or multi-boot that one) and run some file recovery app to see if you can find the files.

However if you've left it running for a while, windows incessantly writes to the system drive for the fun of it, so odds are many if not all files are only fragments now.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's a shame they don't invent something small and portable, maybe that plugs into a USB port since those are so common now, that would allow making a backup of the small important documents.

Kidding aside, I would immediately turn off the computer with the power button (not windows shutdown writing anything more to it, mount the drive in a different system (or multi-boot that one) and run some file recovery app to see if you can find the files.

However if you've left it running for a while, windows incessantly writes to the system drive for the fun of it, so odds are many if not all files are only fragments now.

Geez...I know, right? Seems like SOMEONE would have invented such a thing by now... :rolleyes:

i have SOME of it backed up...sort of...I have a HHD in the aystem where I was stashing some stuff, trying to make some room on the SSD. I don't think I've lost years worth of stuff, just a few months... o_O
I don't think anything "life or death" critical...just inconvenient.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for that. Showed some interesting stuff...but nothing that points to what happened.