what the?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
ca_dd_cc_spag.jpg

1. Is this for real?
2. He'd better have those wires labeled otherwise burn it to the ground.

T

Tim

He's probably the kind of guy who just "knows where everything is".

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I cannot say where I got these, but they were recently taken at a local facility:

IMG093.jpeg

IMG094.jpeg

IMG096.jpeg

IMG097.jpeg

IMG098.jpeg

IMG099.jpeg

IMG101.jpeg

IMG102.jpeg

IMG103.jpeg

MotionMan

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's strange the way cabling systems go to hell. Everything is neat and logical when you put them in, but when you have to move them, it becomes an incomprehensible mess that defies explanation.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's strange the way cabling systems go to hell. Everything is neat and logical when you put them in, but when you have to move them, it becomes an incomprehensible mess that defies explanation.
Or maybe it looked really tidy when it was still just in schematic form.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At least mine is better organized then that!
theugly.jpg

I always found that picture interesting. I have never seen a place that uses ALL cross over cables. :biggrin:

Actually it would be interesting to know the backstory to that pic, if it's actually real. I know it's been around for a long time.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009

The environments that I've been in where the cabling has gone to hell after install did so for two reasons:
1. The network administrator is wearing multiple hats and doesn't have time (or can't afford downtime) to keep the cabling clean.
2. The cabling is run so tight that it's faster and easier to patch a fresh cable than cleanly re-route an existing cable.

I always found that picture interesting. I have never seen a place that uses ALL cross over cables. :biggrin:

While that cable plant is ..... something I can't describe using written words, there's nothing indicating that they're all cross overs.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The environments that I've been in where the cabling has gone to hell after install did so for two reasons:
1. The network administrator is wearing multiple hats and doesn't have time (or can't afford downtime) to keep the cabling clean.
2. The cabling is run so tight that it's faster and easier to patch a fresh cable than cleanly re-route an existing cable.

While that cable plant is ..... something I can't describe using written words, there's nothing indicating that they're all cross overs.

Yeah I know, was just being funny because they chose all yellow. But I think the standard of yellow meaning cross over is something that died a painful death. I see yellow used all the time for non cross over. Heck, we even give yellow patch cords to our customers when they get DSL from us. :eek:

Speaking of wire messes, my rack aint the prettiest either. D: I plan to build a wooden enclosure of sorts so I can add some cable ducts and other cable management stuff as well as a pdu. Not in the budget now though.

And some hackery to detect AC failure and read battery voltage. (shares a single cat6 cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.