What the hell happened to good ol' ice cream flavours?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Classic lemon ice cream? Apple ice cream? Hazelnut is a classic flavor to you?

Classic is vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. Maybe coffee if you are feeling punchy. Then you can move on to newer developments like choc chip, fudge swirl and mint choc chip.

Lemon ice cream. Haha.
He must be a fuzzy, foreigner. He uses a "U".

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Gelato>Ice Cream , there should be a couple places that serve it downtown Toronto

Actually, gelato is just an Italian word for an ice cream.
Anyway, where could I find such a heavenly pleasure as a real Italian gelato limone e fragola? :p

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Me and my wife received a White Mountain ice cream maker for a wedding present a few years ago so we just make our own.

I do the same thing. It took me a while to figure out how to do strawberry properly, but it's easy enough to do.

For those that are interested: berries are mostly water which turns to ice when frozen (I know, big shock). But ice is really gritty and ruins the smooth texture I wanted. The trick was to add some sugar to the berry puree and heat it for a bit on low heat before you add it to the base mixture. This removes a lot of the water and gives you much smoother ice cream.

Dave

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Classic lemon ice cream? Apple ice cream? Hazelnut is a classic flavor to you?

Classic is vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. Maybe coffee if you are feeling punchy. Then you can move on to newer developments like choc chip, fudge swirl and mint choc chip.

Lemon ice cream. Haha.

Lemon is a classic gelato flavor (gelato is a really dense Italian ice cream).

Dave

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
eh? Did you read the whole post? I was saying that these are far from any good ol' flavours and that it seems that they are pushing out all the more conventional flavours.

Guys sorry to say this, but most of these new flavours have "murrica" written all over them with no good taste (I would love to know an exception), but I guess it's mostly because of bad artificial sweeteners and colourings. You know, some ice creams are actually made out of real fruit, instead of added colour and artificial flavouring,

you post as if there aren't any places in America to go and buy freshly made delicious ice cream (in tons of flavors) that is made from high quality ingredients. reality is there are plenty of them, get out of the freezer section of the grocery store and find yourself a real ice cream shop.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
you post as if there aren't any places in America to go and buy freshly made delicious ice cream (in tons of flavors) that is made from high quality ingredients. reality is there are plenty of them, get out of the freezer section of the grocery store and find yourself a real ice cream shop.

Like I haven't tried. :( But maybe it's just a bad luck or maybe I have really specific taste buds. For example, I was never fan of junk food that is so popular. I don't like the way American pizza is made (however, luckily I've already found some great Italian ristorantes in Toronto which serve great pizza). All my grandparents were Europeans, both my grandmothers and my mother liked to cook almost exclusively European meals. Maybe that's the reason I simply can't enjoy the ice cream... They've spoiled me. :|

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Gelato... Tried it, too fruity and expensive. I need milk in my frozen treats. My favorite is cherry chocolate chips.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Gelato... Tried it, too fruity and expensive. I need milk in my frozen treats. My favorite is cherry chocolate chips.

I don't think you know what gelato is...

KT

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Like I haven't tried. :( But maybe it's just a bad luck or maybe I have really specific taste buds. For example, I was never fan of junk food that is so popular. I don't like the way American pizza is made (however, luckily I've already found some great Italian ristorantes in Toronto which serve great pizza). All my grandparents were Europeans, both my grandmothers and my mother liked to cook almost exclusively European meals. Maybe that's the reason I simply can't enjoy the ice cream... They've spoiled me. :|

anyone who is unable to appreciate delicious cuisines from around the globe shouldn't consider themselves qualified food critics.

there's really no point in arguing with pretentiousness so i'll throw this out there...

do you realize what Italian cooking would be without ingredients native to the Americas or Asia?

tomato, garlic, basil, corn, chili pepper, avacado, chocolate to name a few.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
anyone who is unable to appreciate delicious cuisines from around the globe shouldn't consider themselves qualified food critics.

there's really no point in arguing with pretentiousness so i'll throw this out there...

do you realize what Italian cooking would be without ingredients native to the Americas or Asia?

tomato, garlic, basil, corn, chili pepper, avacado, chocolate to name a few.

I like Japanese food, or German, Austrian sweets are great, french cuisine is marvelous, Indian cuisine is as well (although in small portions because usually the spicy taste is too strong for me), Hungarian goulashes are something I'll never get tired of.

What's the point about the ingredients? It's all about how you prepare them, not where are they from. My biggest problem with most American food (which is derivated from cuisines from all around the world) is that usually there's too much sugar or salt in it. Too much margarine in many cakes. Have you ever tried classic "Sacher torte" of Vienna?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If I'm having nothing but ice cream, then chocolate takes the cake. Otherwise, I like creamy vanilla with chocolate syrup, banana slices and whipped cream.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Lies! Somebody told me Gelato is non-dairy ice cream!

Ps. I hate you all.