What the heck is this!?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's a broken screen. It cracked from some kind of impact.

I had the same thing happen when my son "accidentally" shot his TV with an airsoft gun when he was younger.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
wow major clickbait alert!

with monitors, if it looks broken, it probably is.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
It's a broken screen. It cracked from some kind of impact.

I had the same thing happen when my son "accidentally" shot his TV with an airsoft gun when he was younger.
I bought this monitor in mid-2014 and since then it didn't move more than 2 inches every couple of months just for me to put a cloth under it to clean the desk beneath it, that's it. An impact is out of the equation.

In any case, does Dell have any reputation to service out-of-warranty monitors? I can't afford shite now.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
An impact is out of the equation.
Just look at it, it's been hit very specifically at the center point of where the cracks appear.

You're more than likely better off buying a new monitor than trying to fix that

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
No, it was not hit or anything even remotely like that. If a crack took place it must have happened in some miraculous way without it being hit!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
No, it was not hit or anything even remotely like that. If a crack took place it must have happened in some miraculous way without it being hit!

Then you must have some angry poltergeists in your residence, because that thing was hit by something. ;)

Reactions: mikeymikec

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I take it you figured out too late that the PSU was supposed to go into the computer and not the monitor?
Make fun of me fellas, it's okay, LoL. But if this monitor had any impact or anything alike I'd proudly ditch this and start looking for a new monitor (which I'm already doing anyway), but like I said, nothing whatsoever happened. I know from your point of view it will sound like I'm hiding something, but LeL, no point even. It's 5 am in my place, and I'm basically looking at the monitor thinking what the F happened to it!

Anyway, never mind.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
It got hit with something, fairly hard.
Impossible. Out of question. I used the monitor on 25th May last when my PSU died. Then for next 7-8 days my system was totally off, never even touched it. Only person who touches my system is me. No damned dogs/cats etc. either. Even I keep that atm receipts on the base of monitor, and they didn't even move an inch.

Don't know. Probably should contact that american show or whatever it was where them fat folks searched for ghosts in people's house and eventually even found them or something.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Someone from outside shoot it with a BB/pellet? Window open or broken?

You can tell if its been impacted if you look closely

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I looked for hours. At top left I can clearly see some greenish lines/spots, maybe the liquids are gone from there LoL! My main point is on the display above, the screen, there's no impact point. I mean a hard impact is supposed to break/damage the top later of the screen right? I don't know! There's NOTHING like that. I'm really exhausted. Nothing like this ever happened to me in my tiny 30 years of life!

PS: LoL no, people don't use those things here, and windows also remain closed when I'm not home.

Is there a cheap alternative to this monitor, the U2412M? Can't afford any expensive one, but at the same time need to keep 24 inches, and possibly the resolution as well.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I looked for hours. At top left I can clearly see some greenish lines/spots, maybe the liquids are gone from there LoL! My main point is on the display above, the screen, there's no impact point. I mean a hard impact is supposed to break/damage the top later of the screen right? I don't know! There's NOTHING like that. I'm really exhausted. Nothing like this ever happened to me in my tiny 30 years of life!

PS: LoL no, people don't use those things here, and windows also remain closed when I'm not home.
Lol wut!

It's quite obviously had and impact near the centre of the screen!

Reactions: mnewsham

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
Wait a sec....

Is the op trying to say that what looks like an impact is not? Is everything we are seeing just being displayed and not actually physical? Because it looks to me you should be able to feel the cracks with your fingers, and the center impact spot seems obvious to me.

What are you exactly saying op?

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Wait a sec....

Is the op trying to say that what looks like an impact is not? Is everything we are seeing just being displayed and not actually physical? Because it looks to me you should be able to feel the cracks with your fingers, and the center impact spot seems obvious to me.

What are you exactly saying op?
OMG! Cracks? Lol no! The display top is as smooth as a baby's bum. I'm just so tired, I'll post a photo with screen off later.

Do you guys actually think that even if I saw a hairline crack on the outer played I'd actually create this topic at first place? Damn!

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
OMG! Cracks? Lol no! The display top is as smooth as a baby's bum. I'm just so tired, I'll post a photo with screen off later.

Do you guys actually think that even if I saw a hairline crack on the outer played I'd actually create this topic at first place? Damn!
Obviously impact damage and the lcd panel is cracked (cracked inside, you might not feel it).

I assume OP is bad at "trolling". Or they should sell me some of whatever they're smoking.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I never understood how someone could relate to "trolling" when I created a genuine thread wondering about my problem and asking for the reason! Thanks for the input by the way.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I never understood how someone could relate to "trolling" when I created a genuine thread wondering about my problem and asking for the reason! Thanks for the input by the way.
Oh I just assumed the chances you were genuine are tiny.

You've have plenty of responses telling you the answer. And I'm sorry dude but the monitor is fatally broken. Either something was thrown at the monitor, or it fell onto something pointy. But it's dead, sorry.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The simple truth is, it's obviously physical damage. That's really all there is to it. No software malfunction could cause that.

Impact is by far the most likely candidate, but I won't pretend that's the ONLY way that damage could occur, but no matter what caused the damage, the simple fact is that it has been physically damaged in some way. Repair would be nearly impossible, dell themselves do not sell individual components for repair, and most of what you'll find on ebay or similar sites are for laptop screen repair, barely anyone has parts for desktop monitors, and on top of it, it's from 2012. You're more than likely just going to have to replace it.

From what I can tell, this thread is done, no real point continuing.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
@richaron Lol yes, I can figure that pretty much, that it's dead.

Anyway, any suggestions on a replacement? Need something as cheap as possible without losing yet screen size (24 inches) and possibly the resolution too (1920x1200).

Main usage is gaming (CS), movies but I like colour accurate screens.