What the EFF!?!?! "Podcast cannot be played on iPod"

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So the wife got a new 80g iPod. She's had Nano before and I have a Touch. She downloaded video podcasts from our church that iTunes says "cannot be played".

Soooooo...........I google and figure maybe they need to be converted. So I right-click, "convert for iPod" and wait. Try again...............NOPE!!!

WTF is going on?? Our church has had video podcasts going for about 2 years running now, so I'm doubting it's their problem.

(Every time I think I can tolerate iTunes, the hate is renewed again & again.)

UPDATE: See post #3 for pending answer and thanks to aphex for such a quick reply. After the conversions, I'll assume everything will work fine, but if it doesn't I'll come back here and b!tch, piss & moan to ya' again.......LOL!!!

;) (P.S. None of this changes my desire for "The Steve's" head on a platter, though) :D

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Does it play in iTunes? If you PM me a link, i would be happy to check it out to see what the issue is.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
OK, hold up. Now get this.............

After I'm ready to give up & just dump the podcasts. Keep in mind I'd been clicking on every menu available to see what (if anything) was or was not happening. After I click on UNSUBSCRIBE to just get rid of it all, the top window in iTunes shows me that it's "converting podcast". (Looks like it's gonna take a while by the progress meter) Never ONCE in the 30 minutes before this did the top window EVARRR show me it was doing so.

So then I think to myself.........."Hey, the Steve:

#1.) Why not show this in the top window BEFORE the 30 minutes somebody spends trying to figure out WTF's going on??

#2.) Why not pop up some kind of dialogue box for those that don't even CONSIDER that their podcasts might need to be converted so that they'd know that this needs to be done before they can simply drag them or sync them over to their iPod as just about ANY soccer mom I can possibly THINK of would assume???

(It ain't like iTunes doesn't BOMBARD us with dialogue boxes already!!!!)

:|

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
the display at the top rotates between the different things it's doing (syncing, converting, downloading, etc) it's possible that every time you looked it was just on a different screen. You can press the little button on the display to switch between the different things it's displaying.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
There are plenty of video podcasts that won't play on iPods. iTunes is capable of playing back a few formats that the iPod is not.