What sport has the hardest practices?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I'm suprised at how few votes for soccer. Soccer coachs are insane. Football practice is pretty harsh. HS wrestling takes the cake as most unhealthiest practices. HS wrestling consists of losing more water weight than any human ever should and then trying to play a sport in that condition.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Super League Men's Rugby practice was fun.

Play touch rugby for 20 minutes to warm up
Stretch
Conditioning drills for 30 minutes
1 1/2 hours of full speed full contact drills matched up with the guy you are competing with for your position
20 minutes of wind sprints
Stretch
6 hours of drinking heavily

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I played Football, Baseball, and I wrestled in HS.

Baseball was no problem. Some sprints, maybe a few laps around the field if I cracked a joke at the wrong time, and some light lifting a few days a week.

Football was harder. I played Tight End, Defensive Guard / Tackle, and Kick-off / return. I had to do receiver, lineman, and special teams drills, and it was fairly hard. Plus, we had to lift 4 mornings a week.

Wrestling was harder work than Football, IMO. You not only had to work your ass off to get better, but you had to try to maintain your weight to stay in your own weight class. We did sprints, lifting, stair with another wrestler on our back, 2-3 mile runs, and then we practiced.

LMAO @ golf. I'm guessing the hardest thing they do is play in the rain.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
I don't know if you guys have tried the 200meter medley sprint. Run as fast as you can half way around the track, and you got 30 seconds to cross the field and start the process again and again... and again. We go thru that at least once a week for cross country practice.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: kt
I don't know if you guys have tried the 200meter medley sprint. Run as fast as you can half way around the track, and you got 30 seconds to cross the field and start the process again and again... and again. We go thru that at least once a week for cross country practice.
In my rugby days, I could smoke half the cross country team in any race they chose. They have nothing in this hard practice "contest"...

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
In my rugby days, I could smoke half the cross country team in any race they chose. They have nothing in this hard practice "contest"...

So you're saying you could smoke half the cross country team in a 10 mile trail run?

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Football, wrestling and track (shot and disk, not running) in high school.

Wrestling was easily the worst of it. Practice was just brutal, and matches... well, this on time I went triple overtime in a regional competition. The other guy started puking and decided to forfeit.

Football was a lot more fun, and track was just some screwing around. This was all in the South where football is the king of sports...

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: Mwilding

So you're saying you could smoke half the cross country team in a 10 mile trail run?
Yes

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Formula One racing. You need to be in top shape to be a competetive driver in F1. They sometimes do 2 or 3 race distances during one test session.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: axelfox
2 a days are killer.

A few of my friends that I played football with went to the army or navy, said that our double sessions were much more difficult than basic tranining.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
"2 a days are a killer"

HAHAHA! try 2 a days YEAR ROUND.

LOL cross country by far.

this is coming from a person who has played football/basketball/and track and field also.

7 days a week. 6 AM followed by another practice in the afternoon that will leave you wondering why you run.

5 mile tempo warm up, 4 * 1 mile repeats @ 4:50, 1 minute rest between each. 1 mile cool down.

none of those "tough" football players can last through the friggin warmup. football was hard sometimes, but not even close to a cross country practice.

gimme a break....

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
ive played football, sure it is a lot of contact, running, etc. but its no where near as demanding as swimming is. the amount of effort swimming takes, and how much swimming they do is insane!!

its just hard doing one lap where they swim, and they warm up with 15, and then swim 30 more laps.

MIKE

Were you a swimmer? Because it sounds like you're not. Their bodies are built differently and they're used to doing lap after lap after lap. Just like a cross country guy is used to running 4-5 miles in the cold at 6am in the morning before school as a warmup.

Played football and swam...

Well swimming I think was harder than football IMHO. In football you usually get something to break up the monotony like drills, scrimmages, 2 on 1. In swimming the best you can hope for is doing 50 yrd sprints. I will concede thought that wrestling is insane. I remember back in high school seeing guys with like 4 pairs of sweats on and a garbage bag running around school spitting into a cup to loose weight. We always had a running joke that we (the swim team) would challenge the wrestling team to a wrestling match.....in 15ft of water

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Hockey.

5am practices aren't a walk in the park. Contact drills aren't either. Then you gotta go and skate your @$$ off with stops and starts. Puking is commonplace. And you thought hockey was all fun and games. ;)

There's nothing like it. The full-body conditioning required is remarkable... all this for 20-45 second shifts.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: merlocka
Wrestling. Our team used CC practices as a conditioner for wrestling practice.

i can garuntee you didnt use OUR CC practices for conditioning.....

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Wrestling easily, but of course Up-Downs and sprints in full football gear was no picnic either

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Football. 2-a-days in 100 degree summer heat makes for a looooooooooong day ;)
I've been through baseball, basketball, soccer, wrestling, & track and football was the hardest out of all of them BY FAR.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: merlocka
Wrestling. Our team used CC practices as a conditioner for wrestling practice.

i can garuntee you didnt use OUR CC practices for conditioning.....

Try running the CC trail and then wrestling 1 on 1 to the point where you were so exhausted that you could just lay there and sleep had they let you. I wrestled the 119 and 125 in college as well as occasionally wrestling 135 and 142(Once) I remember weighing in with my shoes and coat on just so I would weigh enough. 5 minutes of hell > than anything CC has to offer. I witnessed 3 dislocated shoulders (2 in practice), several groin pulls, sprains and other pulls during me hs wrestling days. I got to experience turf toe and bruises during football practice even though we hit fairly hard during practice. Running CC will leave you winded and maybe some sore legs. Wrestling will leave your whole body acheing. Case in point...I lost 12 lbs of weight my first day of wrestling practice my junior year. Wrestling people 50 lbs over your bodyweight can do this and I had to lose weight because I was at my football weight

eviltoon

Jun 22, 2001
I swam for 18 years. 14 of those were were 11 times a week/ 4-5 hours a day, incuding weights and running. I could swim forever, I could run forever...my conditioning was insane. Was it the haredest training out there? I don't know I didn't have time for anything else.

RedWolf

Golden Member
Oct 27, 1999
A lot of the difficulty depends on the coach but in general, I'd have to say wrestling.

Football is interspersed with running plays and resting periods. Plus, there are a lot of times when people would just dog it and go half speed.

In wrestling, you do the same thing as you do in football or CC with a guy of roughly equal weight on your back. In wrestling, there are fewer opportunities to dog it, too. Mostly because almost everything requires an agreement between you and the guy you're practicing with to both dog it. So, not only is the coach pushing you but the guy you wrestle is pushing you. Wrestling practice is about getting prepared to do a full body sprint for about 12 minutes straight. To prepare for that, you practice that for 3 hours.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
You probably had hair like a troll doll didn't you? I remember after a while all the hair on my legs would pretty much be burnt off from all the chlorine exposure.