What speakers to get for home theatre setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: FlashG
Onkyo has there refurbished CS-V720S + an IPOD dock for sale at $199. I bought my son one of these last Christmas and he loves it.

It?s not high powered but has a LOT of features plus the speakers have 5 ¼ woofers and soft dome tweeters. I only wish that Onkyo would sell them separately because they look good and sound great.

Maybe YOyoYOhowsDAjello will chime in and offer some speaker suggestions for me.

For ipod usage?

If you can find the Klipsch iFi set for ~$200, that would be a nice high quality 2.1 option with ipod dock.

(not a bad idea for chrisg22 either if he can find them)

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Onkyo has there refurbished CS-V720S + an IPOD dock for sale at $199. I bought my son one of these last Christmas and he loves it.

It?s not high powered but has a LOT of features plus the speakers have 5 ¼ woofers and soft dome tweeters. I only wish that Onkyo would sell them separately because they look good and sound great.

Maybe YOyoYOhowsDAjello will chime in and offer some speaker suggestions for me.

For ipod usage?

If you can find the Klipsch iFi set for ~$200, that would be a nice high quality 2.1 option with ipod dock.

I was mainly interested in matching 5 1/8 + soft dome speakers for the Onkyo.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

For ipod usage?

I was mainly interested in matching 5 1/8 + soft dome speakers for the Onkyo.

I just looked through a few places that I know sell some Onkyo speakers, but I didn't see any from that set.

Are you just looking for something that sounds similar?

I'm not really sure what those sound like, so I'm not really sure about suggesting something else that would match.

Are you starting your own system from scratch and you want something with a similar sound, or are you adding to the existing speakers you're using somehow?

EDIT: just checked ebay... I didn't see any just for the speakers, but http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-CS-V720-DVD-C...7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure how much the whole set goes for new though...

EDIT2: only ~$100 off and you're stuck buying all the electronics too :(

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Sketcher
I keep putting my HT obsession of because of other ventures that drain the pocket.
But when I do step into that pool I'm going with Axiom Audio.

In particular I'm planning on the Epic Grand Master 500 but I'm taking a liking to their Architectural Series.

I got the front three from that set off Craigslist for my parents for Christmas (shhhh!) ;)

I tried them out for a while and did some A/B testing with my rockets. They were a bit too bright for me, but I thought they were quite good :thumbsup:

Don't be afraid to match up the Axioms with a sub from a different company either. They matched up quite well with my SVS :D

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
I got the front three from that set off Craigslist for my parents for Christmas (shhhh!) ;)

I tried them out for a while and did some A/B testing with my rockets. They were a bit too bright for me, but I thought they were quite good :thumbsup:

Don't be afraid to match up the Axioms with a sub from a different company either. They matched up quite well with my SVS :D
Lucky parents! Mind if I join the fam?

I have the SVS 25-31 PC-Plus earmarked as an alternative to the Axiom sub.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Athena sells good high value speakers for reasonable prices. If you need some quality sound and your room is not terribly large check out the Athena micras

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

That would be a sweet combo :thumbsup:

I got my 20-39 PC+ for $650 shipped off ebay. It was 3 months old and seemed brand new. The PC+ lineup comes up for sale a couple times per week on average from Ebay / Audiogon / Videogon / etc.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Q]I was mainly interested in matching 5 1/8 + soft dome speakers for the Onkyo.
[/quote]I just looked through a few places that I know sell some Onkyo speakers, but I didn't see any from that set.

Are you just looking for something that sounds similar?

I'm not really sure what those sound like, so I'm not really sure about suggesting something else that would match.

Are you starting your own system from scratch and you want something with a similar sound, or are you adding to the existing speakers you're using somehow?

EDIT: just checked ebay... I didn't see any just for the speakers, but http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-CS-V720-DVD-C...7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure how much the whole set goes for new though...

EDIT2: only ~$100 off and you're stuck buying all the electronics too :([/quote]Thanks for the link but Onkyo is selling the referb system for the same $199 price. Regular price is $399.

What I want is 3 exact same speakers for the center and rear. Apparently Onkyo doesn?t offer them separately so I?m sol. We did a/b every HTIB available under $800 and this system kicked butt.

I don?t listen at loud levels but I want crystal clear sound that doesn?t grate on my ears. That?s one of the reasons I like the soft dome tweeters. The 5 1/8 woofers go down to 50 hz and don?t really need a sub. I can?t hear below 50 anyway so what?s the point unless I just want to spend $ and I don?t.

So what would you recommend with these thoughts in mind? Maybe no center and 2 smaller surrounds?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

Oh, and example hotness on used http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=246881 ;)

A bit older than I would like, but still hot

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
FlashG, How much are you wanting to spend?

You could certainly do a phantom center and keep the Onkyo speakers in front.

HTIB speakers are generally pretty bad though. You shouldn't have trouble finding some good speakers with the kind of sound characteristic you like without breaking the bank.

My rockets are fairly warm and AV123 offers some great value with their x-series speakers. I really love my rockets but have not heard the x-series.

I wonder if they would be up your alley.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

The surrounds matching is not really a big deal unless you're listening to some surround audio formats like DVD-A. Maybe getting a similar sounding set of three speakers up front and using the Onkyos as rears would be something to consider?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999

HTIB speakers are generally pretty bad though. You shouldn't have trouble finding some good speakers with the kind of sound characteristic you like without breaking the bank.

My rockets are fairly warm and AV123 offers some great value with their x-series speakers. I really love my rockets but have not heard the x-series.

The surrounds matching is not really a big deal unless you're listening to some surround audio formats like DVD-A. Maybe getting a similar sounding set of three speakers up front and using the Onkyos as rears would be something to consider?
Actually your idea makes a lot of sense. Thanks

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

Actually your idea makes a lot of sense. Thanks

No problem. If you do end up thinking about the x-series, I would suggest just getting with a pair of X-LS first OR a single X-LS OR a single X-CS just to try out the sound first rather than getting a 3.0 set right away.

AV123 gives you 30 days to try it out and if you're not happy you can get a refund. You do need to pay for shipping both ways though which is why you might want to start small before getting all three speakers.

I assume you'd either be looking at a 3.0 set of X-LS or gettin a pair of X-LS and a single X-CS center.