What space game fits this?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So, I'm a little interested in a space game, but think most aren't what I like - e.g. the 'X' series probably isn't. Which fit this:

Not:
- twitchy combat
- complicated UI
- grinding

Has:
- rewarding exploration
- interesting world/surprises/story
- easy to play; things like factions and story choices and moral alignment are good
- While not grindy, advancement - skills, ships, etc. - are good. Class choices could be good.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
WarFrame and No Mans Sky come to mind..
But my favorite is the Dead Space series..
There is also Star Wars The Old Republic and Star Trek Online!!

Last edited:
Reactions: DigDog

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
space pirates and zombies 2
FTL: Faster then light
Everspace
BossConstructor
AI War Fleet Command.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
An older title called Escape Velocity has almost all of that except for classes. It was first created for the Mac platform in 1996 but the newest iteration, Escape Velocity: Nova is available for Windows. There is also an even newer title inspired by the EV series and is excellent with a bit of a modern touch to the graphics called Endless Sky(it's free). Different factions, governments to ally to. Different ships you acquire either by purchasing, gaining through the storyline with a specific government or faction, or piracy(literally) with different cargo capacity and weapon systems. You can upgrade your ships with new weapons and armor systems that you unlock through playing or purchase from certain locations(think pirate outpost with stolen tech but if you work for the government you can gain it in their storyline). There is trading of commodities between systems. I really liked the game back in the day and played it multiple times because the different factions or government alliances would create a different galaxy in the end where you might end up a pirate Lord, the savior of Humanity, a traitor to the aliens and their honored war hero, or something akin to a god from one race of beings. Some of the storylines are kind of hidden as well where you have to be in a certain place and have done X,Y,and Z before the option appears. Not to mention each system is procedurally generated. You may jump into a system that is being attacked and they ask for help. You may jump into a system with pirates who are waiting for prey, maybe a derelict ship is floating mysteriously with no crew and when you pick up the cargo you gain access to a smuggling storyline. You could even demand tribute from a planet, win a battle against it's defense fleet and now you control it. This turns your reputation there negative so if you lose, you can't land there until you build a better rep with them somehow. I did this occasionally for unfriendly systems (due to my storyline choices) that had specific commodities or parts I wanted to take advantage of.

The game is basically viewed from a top down perspective or somewhat isometric viewpoint. The graphics are basic 2D but with good artwork, the interactions are via text but very well written, each system and spacedock has a different story when you land there. The game has plug-ins available that add additional user created missions, factions, ships, weapons, cheats(easy money missions, make ships available to purchase that aren't etc) including a patch to allow you to run the game at any resolution. Since EV Nova is an older game it defaulted to 1024x768 but a plug-in available on the game's home page fixes that. There are even plug-ins that recreate the other two games in the series. Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity: Override were never available on windows but there are user created plug ins that re-create the galaxy from those two titles using the EV: Nova engine. The game has ultra low requirements so I think it would run on just about anything these days.

Note: Escape Velocity Nova is available here and there is a free trial https://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
Endless Sky is available here and its free https://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/Endless_Sky/

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Would you consider Freelancer "twitchy"?

I enjoyed it. It kept me interested until the very end. Of course: that was many years ago.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Interesting world and rewarding exploration generally do not fit in SPACE (big empty samey black thing) sims; you probably want No Mans Sky that doesnt suck. Star Citizen maybe?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
No Man's Sky can certainly be a grind... and I don't like the changes they made more recently.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I really enjoyed Starpoint Gemini 2. Wasn't perfect, but it did enough to keep me entertained.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Rebel Galaxy is absolutely amazing, though I felt some grind when I was trying to figure out how to get out of the Mk3/4 areas and into the bigger weapons/ships. Though that was 100% on me and not learning the game properly. The moment I had the ability to travel to different systems, I headed for the final area and searched around for salvage crates and mining areas to sell. It took me a long time to realize that you can also control the market and if you flood it with specific goods, nobody in two or three systems will buy it for a high price anymore.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If you're up for a roguelike, try Everspace. It's roguelike with advancement, so while you have 'permadeath', you do advance via credits gained during a playthrough which can be put toward whatever (hp, damage, credit gain, speed, agility, yadayada). I think I remember it having ship selections/purchasing? A little simpler than your traditional space simmy thing though. No classes.

I'll give another vouch for Rebel Galaxy, it's plenty fun and has a superb soundtrack. The Starpoint Gemini's are fun too. I'm hoping X4 doesn't suck, don't have high hopes though.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
If you don't mind a arcady game I would check out Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages. It is an older game, but it has everything you are looking for, and can be had for around $5.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I just watched the gameplay video for Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw and it looks great.

Has a practically full photoshop app in it to paint your ship. You can even upload it to a site and buy a model of the ship with your paint job. Not necessary but kind of fun.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you don't mind a arcady game I would check out Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages. It is an older game, but it has everything you are looking for, and can be had for around $5.

Thanks for all the suggestions - that's a new one, grabbed it on sale under a dollar at humble bundle.

Not really looking for arcady, but we'll see.