What should I do with a GIGABYTE Brix GB-BXBT-1900?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have a GIGABYTE Brix GB-BXBT-1900 with a j1900 cpu, 1 x 8GB DDR3L RAM and 120GB SSD. I would like to use it with my 720p plasma to stream media like Netflix, Amazon prime movies, Youtube, Twitch, firstrowsports and other cool stuff I'm not yet familiar with. Light gaming of some sort is also a possibility.

Machine link/specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164024&ignorebbr=1

What type of budget wireless keyboard should I get? Is a bluetooth keyboard ideal or do they go through batteries quickly. I do have a ton of Eneloops though so AA is a bonus.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for your reply. Any reason you don't like the k400 plus version?

Unified remote looks awesome. It also looks like it has been on sale in the past but $4 is certainly reasonable.

Is there such a thing as an entertainment OS with the streaming apps that I mentioned?

Oct 16, 1999
It's just that I have the old K400 so I can't personally comment on the Plus.

Unless it's changed recently, you get close to full functionality with the free version of Unified Remote. I use it in a pinch, and it works well, but I prefer real buttons.

Netflix streams best through its Windows marketplace app on the PC. I suspect other sites do too or are soon to follow suit. OpenELEC gets you Kodi but I'm not sure that suits what you want:
http://kodi.wiki/view/OpenELEC

Beyond that, I do well enough just using Chrome to stream the few things I do. One tip there, go to chrome://gpu and make sure the hardware acceleration is enabled for smoothest playback.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks again for your reply. I like the normal right shift key with the plus version but some reviews don't like the touchpad as well as the older version. I was able to find the older version on ebay. I may end up getting one as I don't like typing on mobile devices.

I might give OpenElec a try. It might be what I'm looking for. I only hope everything works well at 720p.