what should i do please help

labist

Feb 11, 2012
Hello to all members

I want to discuss a problem with all of you. I am doing a desktop support
job since last 7 years.No doubt i learned so much in the client environment but now the problem is that i want to do a job as an assistant system admin or a role between desktop support and full admin to gain experience in administrating server. So after 1 to years can try to become Full System Admininstrator or Network admin but when i compare my current salary with the advertised salaries of assistant admin it is equal or sometimes better than the advertised jobs. But i am worried how can i continue my desktop job in late 30s i mean i should be administrator. I am now 30 years old.I have BS degree in computer science.But don't have any certification.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
A first degree is the basis, so at the least you have this.

For a Systems Admin, Microsoft have good courses available. Having a good understanding of SQL would help.

For a network Admin, Cisco certification is the gold standard within the industry. A CCNA would help you in a junior network engineer capacity, by way of configuring routers, VLANs, WAN links, static/dynamic IP addressing, etc. To get higher up, a CCNP, and maybe CCIE would be best.