What should I add to my chili?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
My chilli, perfected over many years. Are you ready for this?

- Hot pan (large pot really), onions, garlic, chilli (not too much at this point) fried in oil. Not olive oil, corn oil or something, you don't want it tasting like Italian food.
- Mince. Good quality, not too lean. Fry for a few minutes, break it up in the pan.
- OXO cube or other dry beef stock, salt, pepper.
- wait for the liquid to cook off the meat.
- Worcestershire sauce. Essential.
- Beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, cayenne pepper, paprika, bay leaves, any other herbs you want.
- Turn it down, slow cook for at least 3 hours, allow to cool completely, reheat to eat.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Well here's my usual approach:
1. On a dry pan over medium heat put in cumin, corriander, black pepper, ground cayenne, ground chipotle, and (if you want) chili powder. Brown the spices and set aside, this makes a huge difference in flavor.
2. In a large pan/pot add enough oil to coat the bottom. Over medium-low heat add the following dried peppers cut into thin strips pasilla, chipotle and cayenne. Cook slowly, you should see the oil change color and basically absorb the flavors of the peppers you added.
3. Turn up the heat add an onion or two and a bunch of chopped garlic (not from a jar). If you have some lying around some really finely chopped bacon at this point will add a great flavor.
4. When the onions/garlic are brown (do not burn the garlic tastes horrible) add the meat. I do 2 lbs of whatever. Ground beef is typical, some pork is nice, it'll even work with ground turkey or cubed beef.
5. When the meat is nearly browned at the seasoning from step 1. I usually make more than I think I'll use and reserve some for later.
6. When the meat is brown add the fresh/roasted peppers. I use whatever I can get my hands of from insanely hot to very sweet and have been known to go a bit overboard with 10-12 different types of peppers. I also find roasting a few adds a nice flavor. Anyways this is a place where you can add a lot of variety of different flavors. Also you could add the peppers with the onions if you want but I've found that the onions never get brown enough and the flavor for the peppers isn't too changed especially since I usually roast a few.
9. Salt it now. If you have granulated boullion this works great since it adds a beefy flavor and is exceptionally salty itself.
8. Cook for a bit and then add tomatoes, beans and any additives you like. I do one can of tomatoes usually diced and one or two cans of beans. Stir it together throw a lid on and wait. As for additives my GF loves corn in her chili so sometimes I oblige, may dad has been known to add mushrooms but unless I was going for a vegetarian chili that seems wrong to me.
9. 30 minutes in check it, if it tastes flat it probably needs more salt, this makes it all pop. If it needs heat add cayenne or chipotle. Or add the seasoning reserved from earlier. It can be eaten now if you want but simmering for hours makes a world of difference.

It may not be authentic and no doubt those anti-bean folks will hate it but its damn tasty and once you have an idea of the proportions you like (I don't measure anything) its pretty straightforward to make.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I like to add some sliced mushrooms to my chili, and fresh peppers are a must.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Sraaz
I have the mats for chili at home and when I get off in a couple hours I was going to start it up for tonight. I'm kind of in the mood for some additions though. Something different. So far I have:

2 cans of black beans
1 can of red beans
1 can of pinto beans (I like fairly beany chili as you can see)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of rotel
2 pounds of ground beef
2 packets of mild chili seasoning

This is the recipe I've used for a while, but I'm starting to get "bored" with it. Any suggestions on additions or substitutions?

Try substituting the beef with Scott Tenorman's parents.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Originally posted by: hungfarover
I have the mats for chili at home and when I get off in a couple hours I was going to start it up for tonight. I'm kind of in the mood for some additions though. Something different. So far I have:

2 cans of black beans
1 can of red beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of rotel
2 pounds of ground beef

This is the recipe I've used for a while, but I'm starting to get "bored" with it. Any suggestions on additions or substitutions?

And use his tears in place of salt.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
Originally posted by: hungfarover

2 cans of black beans
1 can of red beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of rotel
2 pounds of ground beef

And use his tears in place of salt.

Indeed! lol

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
ugh damn far to many beans in that. in fact it should have ZERO!

babbles recipe looks good. but i just does nto sound hot enough.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Originally posted by: Fiat1
Of all things don't add BEANS....

Look here for a history lesson...

chili without beans is preferred 3 to 1 inside texas.

Everywhere else chili with beans is preferred 3 to 1

Chili is Texan.

Hell it is the official dish of Texas if I recall correctly. Therefore if a bunch of Texans tell you how best to make your chili, then you ought to listen. It would be like listening to an Italian telling you how to best make pasta - chances are they know more than you do.

Real Texas chili doesn't have beans, plain and simple. If one does decide to put beans in the chili, then there sure as hell better not be more beans than meat.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Babbles

Chili is Texan.

Hell it is the official dish of Texas if I recall correctly. Therefore if a bunch of Texans tell you how best to make your chili, then you ought to listen. It would be like listening to an Italian telling you how to best make pasta - chances are they know more than you do.

Real Texas chili doesn't have beans, plain and simple. If one does decide to put beans in the chili, then there sure as hell better not be more beans than meat.

Meh, I don't make Texas chili, I guess I make Kentucky Chili then.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Babbles

Chili is Texan.

yeap. but most people do not know. they go buy a can of "chili" from the store and it is full of beans.

so they think homemade has to have a bunch of beans.

I agree that real chili does not have beans. I have gone to a few chili cookoffs and rarly do any of them have any beans in it.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
You wanna spice it up? Seriously? REALLY? Google Holy Sh!t sauce or Holy Fvck sauce. It will roxor your b0x0rs. A guy at work cooks with it all the time.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
2 lbs of sausage, preferably vension hot suasage
1 lb of 80/20 ground meat
3 cans of dark red kidney bean.
3/4 green bell pepper chopped
1 cup of chopped onion
2 cans of diced tomato
2 cans of tomato sauce
3 cans of water, can substitute a bottle of fine cooking beer like dark and tan from yuengling for one can of water
2 tablespoons of cayenne red pepper
4+ tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 crushed garlic clove
A few spitzes of worschester sauce
a couple shakes of cumin and ground oregano

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I've had a bottle of worcestershire sauce in my fridge for a while now and didn't even think of adding it in. I'll do that on my next batch.

And I like my beany chili dammit! In fact, to spite you all I'm going to replace each ingredient on that list with another 2 cans of beans.