what should a guy know if he wanted to turn his car into a money maker?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Looks like Uber wants people in a town near me.

Obviously it needs to be in good working order, all the fluids clean and topped off. All the seatbelts work fine.
I always keep a car emergency kit and survival kit in the back, my spare is good and I have the tools to change it.
Will people be spilling shit and vomit inside? Do I need plastic seat covers?
Should I have an inside facing camera? Activate my XM radio?
Anything else you can think of that's not obvious?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Camera on the inside is only to protect you, I think the $50-75 investment is probably worth it.

As a frequent passenger in uber/lyft, all I expect is cleanliness and operational AC or heat depending on climate. I could care less if you offer a tablet for me to watch something on, or treats, or any of that. If your seats look like garbage, then yes get slip on covers.

If you're not planning on doing it during peak hours for party/drinking scene, you probably don't need to worry about people having liquids or risk of vomit.

Music I'd offer an aux cord or something so people could connect to your stereo if they're inclined. I always just let the driver leave on whatever they have on.

If you want to be an entrepreneur, offer things like gum, mints, loose cigarettes, etc to buy with cash.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Never underestimate the potential for people to vomit or leave other bodily fluid behind. I'd look into whether you can just set rules about eating and drinking in the vehicle and discourage it.

Plastic seat covers, I'd try to find some impermeable plastic lined on the back and suede(ish) on the top. That won't quite wipe clean but could be hosed off.

An inward facing camera would be a great idea. In this day and age I wouldn't want to do without.

You'll also want a change of clothes, rope, duct tape, trash bags, burlap sacks, saw, hatchet, baseball bat, gloves, shovel, stun gun, pit bull service animal, emotional support dash iguana, heroin, Narcan, pepper spray and a face mask. Consult Uber rules to see if the stun gun is allowed. I'm assuming a firearm is not but if it is...

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Yea you want either 2 cameras or a dual lens camera. That way it gets the inside of the car and outside.

Make sure there is enough demand. So many do Lyft/Uber now you do not make as much as before. And before was not super great either.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
These are optional if you want to have some fun ...
1. Wear dark black glasses like a blind person,
2. Have a german shepard with you that you refer to as your "guide dog"

In all seriousness, do what you need for your own security and safety! Driving for Ubur is like driving for a Taxi Company, but, with less/worse benefits and less/worse pay.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Honestly, once you open up your car to ride sharing, you have to mentally be ok with your car going to hell. Simple stuff like suit cases or people with arms full of work will dent, scrape and abuse anything they come in contact with. A random food or drink spill will happen and you have to be prepared for it. Not only will it hit the seats, but think of things like arm rests, door panels, windows, back of the front seats, carpet on the floor and anywhere else a substance can go. Even people sneezing, bleeding or coughing will get on/in places you didn't anticipate.

Not to sound gruff, but I would liken it to letting your wife be a prostitute. Yes, she will pull in extra money, but will you ever look at her the same? Doesn't matter how m.uch plastic you wrap her up in.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Uber actually has requirements for car age, and very strict (super expensive) insurance requirements. I think they only allow full-coverage Geico, which at least includes the one-time no-fault coverage.

Buddy drives for them and they do take care of bodily fluid instances--they will charge the offender something like $250 bucks, which goes straight to you. You pocket decent money from that after "cleaning" your car....but it never really is the same after that first drunken puke.

Scammers also like to target Uber cars because of the insurance payouts--so front and rear cameras are essential, and you also don't want to be driving around with those badges on your car 24/7. (opt for the magnets)

Best is to investigate all of that first because it might require you to buy a new (newer) car. All costs required to drive for them tends to make it difficult to swing great pay (high insurance + new car monthlies/registration...but you do get a gas stipend)

If you swing the incentives, though, it could work out pretty well. You live in the DC area, which is really efficient for getting those 10 rides/night or 50/week (I forget the actual numbers) in very short order. Bunch of scoundrel politicians and lobbyists and what not in the swampy summer will take Uber for a block at a time to avoid stank ass when going from office to office to try and steal all of our money from some Congress jerk--which means you can flip short rides very quickly.

Avoid the airport runs. Just don't do it. It's a major time sink and money loser. Buddy claims he can pull in a bit under $4k/month if he drives regularly for about 30 hours a week, assuming you can maximize the target incentives and make those bonuses, but there is quite a lot of cost in keeping his car up to Uber standards for it (which he bought new, mostly for this...and is considering selling and forgetting the whole thing. Can only drive nights, so, that makes life difficult)

Last edited:

HarryLui

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
If you plan to buy a car for Uber, don't. Because the money you make will barely over the cost of payment, insurance, registration, maintenance, repairs, clean up , etc.

Join and read up how much people are getting paid first.
https://uberpeople.net/threads/minimum-fare-uberx.306919/

The Rider paid $6.04 and I received $2.50.

Also, the longer you drive, the less money you make because uber takes away surge/boost/promotion/etc.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ There are a lot of variables there. You could pick up something like a 2009 Ford Fusion with 100K mi. for around $2500, then if you DIY the repairs and maintenance, shave hundreds if not thousands off those yearly costs that one of the prior links estimated.

Common estimates for repairs and maintenance always seem high to me as I haven't spent as much in 5 years on any of my vehicles as they estimate the average owner has for 1 year. Granted that is not racking up miles like an uber driver will, but neither are most of the yearly repairs and maintenance estimates I've seen, are usually based on some US average (around 15K mi/yr IIRC).