What race or nationality are you?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
as far as my linage, i am jewish. even though being jewish isnt a race. (common misconception. there are black, chinese, african jews out there)

grandparents from poland and russia area, i believe Belarus.

dad is from NY, his parents 1 from poland, one from russia area

mom is from panama, her parents are both from poland i believe

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
as far as my linage, i am jewish. even though being jewish isnt a race. (common misconception. there are black, chinese, african jews out there)

grandparents from poland and russia area, i believe Belarus.

dad is from NY, his parents 1 from poland, one from russia area

mom is from panama, her parents are both from poland i believe

While there are many people of varying ethnicity who are Jewish, Jews most certainly are a race. The twelve tribes were not allegory.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
While there are many people of varying ethnicity who are Jewish, Jews most certainly are a race. The twelve tribes were not allegory.

10 of those tribes were lost, known as " the 10 lost tribes" and 2 exist today around the world.

assimilation took over a lot.

from a site

In the 1980s, the United States Supreme Court ruled that Jews are a race, at least for purposes of certain anti-discrimination laws. Their reasoning: at the time these laws were passed, people routinely spoke of the "Jewish race" or the "Italian race" as well as the "Negro race," so that is what the legislators intended to protect.

But many Jews were deeply offended by that decision, offended by any hint that Jews could be considered a race. The idea of Jews as a race brings to mind nightmarish visions of Nazi Germany, where Jews were declared to be not just a race, but an inferior race that had to be rounded up into ghettos and exterminated like vermin.

But setting aside the emotional issues, Jews are clearly not a race.
Race is a genetic distinction, and refers to people with shared ancestry and shared genetic traits. You can't change your race; it's in your DNA. I could never become black or Asian no matter how much I might want to.

Common ancestry is not required to be a Jew. Many Jews worldwide share common ancestry, as shown by genetic research; however, you can be a Jew without sharing this common ancestry, for example, by converting. Thus, although I could never become black or Asian, blacks and Asians have become Jews (Sammy Davis Jr. and Connie Chung).

just as the example of the nazis. Jews were taken from everywhere, germany, poland, france, russia. they are germans who happen to be jewish, not jewish who happen to be from germany

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Whether or not Jews are currently a race they unquestionably were. It is important to distinguish a person's beliefs from their ethnicity.

Regarding genetics, I think it would be very interesting to compare mitochondrial DNA of ancient Jewish people (as well as others) to their recent ancestry (last ten generations). I think there are many reasons, many of them valid, why Jewish people would not wish to be categorized as a race. However, I'm not sure that the genetic profile of Jewish people is diverse as many would like to believe.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Jewish people have the distinction of being both a race and religious group for nearly 4,000 years, and you can look at the word "Jew" as representing a person with a certain ethnic (genetic) background and/or religious faith. "Hebrew" is probably more accurate a term, though, for race.

It's true that there are Jews of many races, but most Jews are of Hebrew descent.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Half Polack half English, but all Canadian.

KT

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
OP must be a lefty - they are the only ones to whom it seems to make a difference any more...

American!

.bh.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
White viking. 1/2 Swede 1/2 Irish. mom FOB Swede. Dad 100% Irish 2nd gen.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I'm Norwegian.
Family has been in Minnesota since 1609. My dad researched the line and did a family tree.

Might want to recheck that year. Norwegians took a break from North America from around 1000 AD until the late 1600's.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Might want to recheck that year. Norwegians took a break from North America from around 1000 AD until the late 1600's.
I didnt "check" it to begin with. My father investigated it and thats what he came up with. Of course, I could go to the storage unit and dig out the box and yank the book he wrote. But I'm too lazy. Will just say its 1690 since I cant prove it.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I am a Ukranian Jew, although many stupid people keep telling me I cant possibly be Jewish because I am not religious and I was born in Ukraine. Off course it's all bs. A jew can be a jew only by blood. Religion has nothing to do with it.