What programs will help playing my games backlog? save managers,cheats etc

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
I have a backlog to get through and I want to avoid the little niggles that tend to pop up.

I'm looking for programs like save managers or scripts for those stupid games that only have a limited amount of saves causing them to be overwritten against your will when going through the game. So the game saves would be copied to another location and then loaded there again when you wanted to use them without having to fart around renaming them all the time.
The same goes for control configs even if it's an outside program because some games have different sections where different setups are better.

Another program to deal with patches or updates enabling you to switch between different versions easily.
Copying whatever files would normally be deleted by the patch and saving them so you can quickly revert would be a start along with reg changes.

Cheats will be needed to reduce annoyances or flaws with games.Cheatengine is good but is there anything easier or better?

Some kind of screen recorder with a loop feature to catch the good bits of gameplay but riva tuner was a little buggy and nvidias need registration unless there is a workaround for it.

Is there any other general tools for that might help in my quest?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I used to do that kind of save file management for some games 10-15 years ago, but today I would rather just play something else instead. It's very game specific and there is no generic program for all games. You can stick to RPGs and some FPSs that have regular saves.

If you don't want to be forced to use the latest version, use GOG instead of Steam.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Honestly, what you're describing sounds way more convoluted than just picking the current game you're playing and looking up a cheat engine for that specific game. I'm not sure why you would want to down-patch a game unless you're looking for speedrun-specific exploits, but most digital distributors will automatically update your games to the most current patch. If you're trying to play games off physical CDs, then it shouldn't be too difficult to track down individual patches through Google. I can't help you with the screen recorder as I haven't recorded gameplay in quite a few years and I just used FRAPs back then but I know there's better utilities out there now.

Out of curiosity though, which games are you trying to knock off your backlog that you're willing to go through all this trouble for?

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
If you don't want to be forced to use the latest version, use GOG instead of Steam.

Gog forces you to use the latest version unless you have downloaded all the previous ones before they were changed.

Being able to have just the file changes between the versions would mean less wasted space than multiple full games each time they changed.

Last edited:

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
Honestly, what you're describing sounds way more convoluted than just picking the current game you're playing and looking up a cheat engine for that specific game.

That's why I'm looking for ways to make it easier and cheatengine is one program that's useful for all games unlike specific game trainers of the old.

I'm not sure why you would want to down-patch a game unless you're looking for speedrun-specific exploits, but most digital distributors will automatically update your games to the most current patch. If you're trying to play games off physical CDs, then it shouldn't be too difficult to track down individual patches through Google.

That's why I want to find a way to easily switch between patch versions without having to reinstall from the disc.

Different versions of the games sometimes have different features. Some mods only work with certain versions of the game unless you have mods tool and can fix them by editing a few options but then that adds even more work.

Out of curiosity though, which games are you trying to knock off your backlog that you're willing to go through all this trouble for?

Lots of them.
Some are quake 3 or Unreal based so information on their scripting,modding or package managers and file formats would help but I think that would be a task for another thread.

Jul 27, 2020
There's GameCopyWorld. Some of the ads on there might be NSFW. I see they have updated trainers for Cyberpunk 2077 v1.5 so the site is still being maintained.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
That's why I'm looking for ways to make it easier and cheatengine is one program that's useful for all games unlike specific game trainers of the old.

That's why I want to find a way to easily switch between patch versions without having to reinstall from the disc.

Different versions of the games sometimes have different features. Some mods only work with certain versions of the game unless you have mods tool and can fix them by editing a few options but then that adds even more work.

Lots of them.
Some are quake 3 or Unreal based so information on their scripting,modding or package managers and file formats would help but I think that would be a task for another thread.
I don't know how easy it will be to get all of these programs running in tandem with one another and personally, it sounds like you're going to spend two weeks downloading and fiddling with programs, just to spend a few days breezing through a game. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds far quicker to just load the game you're wanting to play and just play it. A quick Google search for the current game should give you the latest cheat engine or mods that could give you what you're looking for and from experience with modding games, if mods even exist, they're going to require the latest version (even older games) and can easily be found on moddb and Nexus.

Last edited:

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I use WeMod when I get frustrated with a boss I can't beat so I can progress in the game if I have to. And you can turn it off and on during the game.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
There's GameCopyWorld. Some of the ads on there might be NSFW. I see they have updated trainers for Cyberpunk 2077 v1.5 so the site is still being maintained.

I'm worried it will pick up some malware every time I go there so I don't have to use old game discs.

WeMod has a lot of cheats
I will have a look at it.

git gud scrub

I am. I don't to waste my time on cheap game mechanics or filler.