computerguy1234

Oct 30, 2012
Hi, my build is:
Intel core i5 2310
Nvidia Evga gtx 660 (non-ti)
Corsair Vengence 8gb 1600mhz
Seagate barracuda 2tb hard drive
Cooler master scout mid tower case
(I am still deciding on what motherboard to get)

So what wattage PSU should i get that is most reliable and can keep this system running fine even at full load?:confused:

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Your rig will consume less than 200W when gaming. GTX 660 requires one 6-pin PCIe power connector so you will need 400W at minimum, lesser units don't generally have PCIe connectors.

If you would like to be covered for a GPU upgrade that requires two PCIe connectors, get a 500W unit. Plenty of nice deals on:

Corsair CX430 $37 ($17 after rebate)
PCP&C MK III 500W $70 ($50 AR)
XFX 550W $64 ($54 AR)
Corsair TX650 $75 ($50 AR)
Antec EA-650 Green $65 ($40 AR)
Seasonic X-650 $90

The last three are overkill in wattage but if you decide to get one of them, pair them with a SLI-compatible motherboard. Probably not worth it though, most people who buy SLI-compatible hardware just in case, never actually do it.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So what wattage PSU should i get that is most reliable and can keep this system running fine even at full load?:confused:
High wattage, low quality PS are dirt cheap.
Low wattage, low quality models are even cheaper.
High quality, high wattage units are expensive.

When you say "most reliable", exactly what do you mean by that?
Are you looking for a PS that will last you years and several builds or are you looking for a 1-2 year unit?

I wouldn't bother trying to dial in some kind of magic wattage number.
Buy QUALITY first and foremost, allowing additional capacity for some component degradation over time.

Last edited:

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Based on the components selected, I'm guessing money is fairly tight. I would just go with the Corsair 430.

computerguy1234

Oct 30, 2012
When i meant as most "Reliable" i meant like a long lasting psu. I don't think i would ever need to go SLI and since i have been noticing that every Nvidia generations of GPU's consume less whatt's. The next GPU i would buy would probably be next year and be the 760 (non-ti). I plan to use this PSU for a long time.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
OP: Your machine isn't going to push any of those units hard and they are all quality units. Like I said, based on part choices, it seems like you are on a pretty tight budget. If so, that Corsair 430 isn't going to be less reliable than the other units. It would be nonsensical to spend way more than what you would need to in this situation.

If I'm wrong and money isn't that tight, then any of them would be fine. But if money weren't that tight, I have a feeling you'd be picking some higher end parts on your list.