Discussion What PC Gaming classics would you like to see a sequel to?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

delonm

Apr 10, 2011
Master of Magic. A real sequel from a AAA studio, not the KickStarter "homage" that was released a few years ago.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Oh, another one came to mind; Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Reminds me; in the 90's I had some issue with a 3DO game I can't remember. They invited me to visit their headquarters and pick another game to replace it, I picked Dark Messiah. A couple people met with me and seemed excited to meet a customer, it was nice. And I've still never played it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Reminds me; in the 90's I had some issue with a 3DO game I can't remember. They invited me to visit their headquarters and pick another game to replace it, I picked Dark Messiah. A couple people met with me and seemed excited to meet a customer, it was nice. And I've still never played it.

Cool! :)

Yeah, I still like the game today but the last time I played it I did realize that it didn't age very well. But I still like it. I'd actually want a remaster more than a sequel, but (without spoiling anything from the first one) a sequel seemed something that wouldn't be too difficult to come up with (story-wise). At the time the game got some mixed reviews, generally-speaking I think most people seemed to like it 'just fine' but its problems were too jarring for some. On a side note, today the game has favorable reviews but this is obviously so long since release, it's really not representative of how it was perceived at the time when it came out. Then again, people today seem to enjoy the game a lot more than they did at the time so good for the game I guess!

I played it a couple of times, but only completed it once. My favorite points were:

- Good first-person view melee combat system (which, for a melee combat system, at the time, was probably the best you could find specifically in the FPS category)
- Kicking enemies into wall spikes, never got old.
- Kicking enemies off map ledges and narrow passages into oblivion, always gives me a smile.
- The 'sneaking' system was alright, but it's nothing crazy (still, I liked it; helped by relatively dumb A.I. though)
- Genuinely well-paced story, with some interesting 'twists' to it; generally well told, solid voice acting overall (some cringe moments, but it's fine); a good story mechanic is the possibility of making specific choices at specific moments (there's not many though, it's not Mass Effect) that have some clear (story-related) consequences, so one could probably replay the game at least a second time to see what the other choices would do for the following game events.
- Has some replayability thanks to having essentially 3 main character builds to go with (focused on melee, magic and... can't recall the other one, something like rogue or assassin)
- Map design and some puzzles are good. The puzzles... well, depends which ones; most are ok, some are sort of bad but generally 'fine'; not a game breaker.
- Pretty difficult game overall from what I can remember (from the first playthrough that is, the one I played the game to the end), died a couple of times; positive point for me, I'm not a big fan of overly easy story-driven FPS games, especially if they have RPG elements)

I mean I don't want to make it sound like it was a mind-blowing game. I did enjoy it, it has a solid foundation and the points above are the positive things about it, but none of those points are masterpieces in their respective fields either. At that time it was a solid 7/10 for me, still pretty much is today. The only thing is... well yeah it didn't age very well; still playable mind you but there's some bugs (unresponsive A.I. sometimes, sneak system screwing up here and there when it comes to enemy detecting you, hit detection in melee combat can be a hit or miss thing... literally, probably related to hit box issues, some character builds are obviously better than others, and a few other things going by memory here) and on a technical level it wasn't well optimized already from the start back then, so it certainly isn't either today (but I suppose raw hardware power from today's standards would at least ensure smooth frame rates, but the loading times may still be bad... they were atrocious at the time). So yeah, it has issues but overall it's a likeable game with a surprisingly good combat system and pretty decent story.

Now all this stems from my first playthrough. I have good memories of the game. But I did replay it not too long ago (about 2 years or so ago) and yeah... didn't age that well. If you do buy it I'd recommend to wait for some very cheap deal (unless it's already very cheap). If I recall correctly, Dark Messiah is running on the Source engine (albeit, a Source engine build version dating back to 2006). I'd like to see a remaster but realistically-speaking I'd rather see a remake on a new engine, or if not... a sequel to it, indeed. It does actually need a sequel anyway.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I want to say Starcraft 3 and Warcraft 4 but after buying Warcraft 3 Remastered I am now positive Blizzard is dead and its rotting zombified corpse no longer has the cognitive capacity to create a decent game.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Minesweeper! But this time as a FPS-MMO! /s

Honestly, so far I've been disappointed in almost every sequel or remake to a classic game that has come out in the last few years. I think a large part of the problem is that I have changed. I get frustrated with games a lot easier now, and it is just too easy to look up a walkthrough when I get stuck which removes much of the feeling of accomplishment when I finally solve that nearly impossible puzzle.

Having said that I still would really like to see a remake/sequel to BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception and Autoduel. Both should remain somewhat arcady style games, more casual but with better graphics and longer campaigns.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i would really like to see valve able to count past 2.

Reactions: DeathReborn

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Would be great to have another Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
We havent had a good Star Wars game in quite some time. When the creatives left LucasArts it all went downhill.

I can only imagine what a new TIE Fighter would look like today. I'm not even sure what engine would be useful for something like that.
Unreal or IDTech?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
We havent had a good Star Wars game in quite some time. When the creatives left LucasArts it all went downhill.

I can only imagine what a new TIE Fighter would look like today. I'm not even sure what engine would be useful for something like that.
Unreal or IDTech?

Frostbite has shown it can do aircraft well with the BF games, and EA does own all rights to Star Wars games. And if EA keeps their hands out of the pot, the games can be good, like Fallen Order. But if EA touches it, then we get games like Battlefront.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Half life 2
Wizardry 8
X-Wing
Descent FreeSpace
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Severance Blade of Darkness

Feb 4, 2009
Just thought and I’m not a VR guy....

I am shocked there isn’t a modern remake of the Tron arcade game.
Totally fits the VR idea and the movie.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Stalker 2 was announced already
Shouldn't it be Stalker 4?
There has already been 3 Stalker games.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
its never going to happen, but a diablo 2 that works at any resolution would be nice. Bonus if they dont ruin any of the gameplay.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Jane's WWII Fighters
Non-EA Battlefront I and II
Infogames Dirt Track Racing 1 & 2 & Sprint Cars
Non-EA Battlefield 3 with bots and Battlefield 4 with bots and before all the nerfing and with more options

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
its never going to happen, but a diablo 2 that works at any resolution would be nice. Bonus if they dont ruin any of the gameplay.

Diablo 2: Resurrected has been mooted but I read an article where 2 of the main figures behind D2 (one was the composer) said modern engines can't recreate the atmosphere and style of D2 & Activision Blizzard wouldn't allow the nudity/gore to be in all its potential UHD glory.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Diablo 2: Resurrected has been mooted but I read an article where 2 of the main figures behind D2 (one was the composer) said modern engines can't recreate the atmosphere and style of D2 & Activision Blizzard wouldn't allow the nudity/gore to be in all its potential UHD glory.

We could get lucky and maybe CDPR will release an updated Diablo 2 like they did with Diablo 1 on GoG. Diablo 1 works great now on a modern system. No HD graphics, but it at least plays well on at a higher resolution than 640x480.