Discussion What PC Gaming classics would you like to see a sequel to?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The whole "remaster" topic got me thinking about old games that never got the sequel love they deserved and what could be possible given the state of current tech.

Personally, I'd club baby seals to see a sequel to IMO the pinnacle of the mission based space sim Freespace 2. While the current modding community is still surprisingly active for this 21 year old game and thanks to the release of the game's source code a lot of QoL updates have been released by the community, I would really love to see a sequel on a new engine with all the bells and whistles, that glorious floaty arcade space sim combat, and the feeling of darting between two fleets of capital ships as they slug it out with beam weapons, torpedoes, and flak cannons. No other game has ever really captured that same feeling I got watching the large fleet battle at the end of Return of the Jedi quite like Freespace 2.

So many loose ends from the original campaigns, incredible world building with great lore, so many MP and co-op possibilities.

Thanks to the prevalence of controllers with joysticks and a host of buttons, I even think the game could be revived mostly intact on the consoles as well.

Reactions: OCNewbie
Feb 4, 2009
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Better textures, bigger maps and less buggy/cheating AI and I’m on it day one.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Better textures, bigger maps and less buggy/cheating AI and I’m on it day one.

Empire Earth 1 had an excellent campaign but lousy skirmish. Due mostly to cheating AI. And Empire Earth 2 was a mess by comparison.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Someone has to say it... Half life 3 would be good.

Really I would like a new Dark Reign RTS & Dune RTS/FPS/RPG though. With the new Dune film (maybe still 2020) hopefully there will be more desire for a game or 3.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Someone has to say it... Half life 3 would be good.

Really I would like a new Dark Reign RTS & Dune RTS/FPS/RPG though. With the new Dune film (maybe still 2020) hopefully there will be more desire for a game or 3.

Its coming though right? Your comment made me look up reviews an Alyx. Holy crap, Im gonna get that for the vive.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Half Life, LOL

No One Lives Forever and many other games
I'd settle for a remake, and it wouldn't have to be fancy either, just use a modern engine that runs on modern OS's and maybe add widescreen support.
But the problem with remaking old games is sometimes you have to get permission/pay off the old voice actors, and they may want too much money.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Probably a sequel to Command & Conquer 2 (Tiberian Sun), but specifically from the writers of C&C 2, or the writers of C&C 1. I'd like to know what would have been their vision of C&C 3. I did actually enjoy C&C 3 Kane's Wrath, however; but the base C&C 3 game was underwhelming (Kane's Wrath was written by different writers than the base game). The interesting thing about this franchise (the mainline C&C games that is, outside of the Red Alerts) is that it was written by different writers for every title. So the continuity was a matter of how well the new writers connected / followed from the previous game's storyline and events.

The writers were as follows:

C&C 1: Eydie Laramore, Ron Smith, Joseph D. Kucan (yes, that's Kane)
C&C 2: Donny Miele, Brett W. Sperry, Erik Yeo (they also wrote for the Firestorm expansion if I'm not mistaken)
C&C 3: Brent Friedman
C&C 3 Kane's Wrath: Samuel Bass, Haris Orkin

My favorites will always be C&C 2, C&C 1 and then Kane's Wrath. But even if I did enjoy Kane's Wrath I still would like to know where the story would have gone without the inclusion of the Scrin. The actual gameplay wasn't bad at all, for either C&C 3 base, or Kane's Wrath. But the story was mostly a matter of interpretation, especially for the base game if the player didn't buy or ever played Kane's Wrath. The main 'problem' with Tiberium Wars' campaign is that it had two endings, and the 'canon' one was essentially your own favorite; and from there you just told the story to yourself. Basically, there was no 'actual story' set in stone. It was up to you to think "Hmmmm, ok I'll take this one and say it's canon".

Then comes Kane's Wrath, which is a sort of 'Flash Back' style story where we start before C&C 3 (or right after C&C 2 Firestorm), and end up with one of the two C&C 3 base game's campaign conclusion, which then one can argue suddenly makes that one ending the canon one. But the problem is that in the end, after Kane's Wrath is over we're back to "square one" so to speak since it did not actually conclude C&C 3's ending at all. It just repeated one of the two you can get. So Kane's Wrath isn't a progression, it's a dead end, and it's still a cliffanger in the end that essentially didn't go anywhere extra. However, in and of itself, I thought that Kane's Wrath was well written. Basically the story telling portion was good (and I thought was significantly better than base C&C 3's).

Now I do say that I'd like to see where the story would have gone to without the Scrin. But the reality is that ever since C&C 1 I (like many, if not the majority of the fanbase who played the campaign) always felt that something was 'off' or mysterious about Kane. And by C&C 2's timeline it was hard to think that Kane was merely just a human. However, I never expected the story to go full blown StarCraft mode with 3 factions, lo and behold the third one being aliens. I DID, however, expect that one day the story would include 'alien stuff'. It might have been the discovery of the alien home system from which the Tiberium-filled asteroids came from, for example. Or it could have been that Kane was in fact a human but perhaps unbeknownst to him he had been experimented on with some top secret military research done on some alien artifacts and Kane escaped and eventually created the Brotherhood of Nod. Or you know, things along the lines concerning his most likely non-Human origins (to some degree anyway).

But a typical sci-fi 'alien invasion' scenario was among the last things I was expecting to be honest. That's probably why in general C&C 3 was considered the weakest of the main trilogy. It felt like it was some sort of a fast-food easy story telling approach to an otherwise potentially more complex setting and world. At least I felt that way. But as I said before I did enjoy Kane's Wrath on its own. It's just when you try to connect it with the previous two main titles it's really rough on the edges. It's better enjoyed as an isolated 'spin-off' type of game than anything else. With all this said, there's C&C 4. I could have said that the sequel I want would be a 'true' C&C 4. But the reality is before we'd get there (in my book) we'd need to get a different take on a real follow up for C&C 2 first. Then we'd see. I wouldn't feel comfortable just keeping C&C 3 + Kane's Wrath as is only to move from there again for another C&C 4 that would most likely include the full fledged Scrin alien invasion of Earth that both C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath allude to. It's too easy and straightforward for a story.

Last edited:
Reactions: DigDog

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I want another Orcs Must Die game...1 and 2 were so much fun.

Not sure if Orcs Must Die is considered a "classic", but it is by me.....

Reactions: OCNewbie

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I want another Orcs Must Die game...1 and 2 were so much fun.

Not sure if Orcs Must Die is considered a "classic", but it is by me.....

- I've never played it but I've read that OMD2 suffered because it was built with co-op in mind. The first game was an undeniably solid TD/MOBA mash-up.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Personally, I'd club baby seals to see a sequel to IMO the pinnacle of the mission based space sim Freespace 2.

Hell yeah, and I'd LOVE to see an updated version of the original Descent

Edit: OK, maybe there is one coming.......I'll have to look for more info:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Hell yeah, and I'd LOVE to see an updated version of the original Descent

- I always wanted to like the OG Descent games but the sense of claustrophobia, loss of direction, and the vomit inducing nausea that I felt playing the games always put a lid on things for me.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
- I've never played it but I've read that OMD2 suffered because it was built with co-op in mind. The first game was an undeniably solid TD/MOBA mash-up.

That's correct. It definitely was designed with co-op in mind, and that was a weakness. But I still played it solo and loved it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
How could i forget my favorite game Deus Ex!

- Unspoken caveat of the thread is that the franchise should effectively be dead. Deus Ex has had many sequels and its franchise is very much alive.

I suppose you could make the argument that no other DX game ever lived up to the scale and scope of the first, so none of the follow-ups have ever really been *true* sequels. A "No True Deus Ex" argument, if you will.