What PC games are in Dolby Digital?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Not too many Dolby Digital PC games out there. Anyone know of some?

naldo

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
I dont know about Dolby Digital, but there are tons of games in 5.1, basically everythign out there worth playing.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: naldo
I dont know about Dolby Digital, but there are tons of games in 5.1, basically everythign out there worth playing.
Yep, you just need to use the 6 _analog_ out channels of your soundcard / motherboard instead of a digital cable.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Yep, you just need to use the 6 _analog_ out channels of your soundcard / motherboard instead of a digital cable.

I know this. I have a full 7.1 stereo system hooked up to my PC, even a turntable. But the only game I have that is in real Dolby Digital is SW Battleground. Surely there must be more real DD games out there.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Oyeve

I know this. I have a full 7.1 stereo system hooked up to my PC, even a turntable. But the only game I have that is in real Dolby Digital is SW Battleground. Surely there must be more real DD games out there.

Ugh? So if i want 5.1 in games, I have to use analogue connections rather than my optical digital cable?

Thats just not acceptable. Soundstorm analogue is just great /sarcasm

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Dolby Digital 5.1 is just a scheme for encoding and compressing multichannel audio to send as a digital signal. Aside from simplified cable hookup, it's actually inferior to uncompressed analog 5.1 surround [ unless your soundcard has awful DACs on the output ].

So you should really be asking "what games offer 5-point surround instead of just stereo or 4-point?" assuming you've connected your soundcard using analog cables.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Dolby Digital 5.1 is just a scheme for encoding and compressing multichannel audio to send as a digital signal. Aside from simplified cable hookup, it's actually inferior to uncompressed analog 5.1 surround [ unless your soundcard has awful DACs on the output ].

So you should really be asking "what games offer 5-point surround instead of just stereo or 4-point?" assuming you've connected your soundcard using analog cables.

I know all this. I am interested as to which games actually HAVE DD. I have been using 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, PLII, etc...I wonder why the PC game market doesnt make more DD games. Or DTS games for that matter. I am sure most serious PC gamers have systems capable of DD and DTS so why are there not more games utilizing this? Take Doom 3, it has proprietary sound in the programming so it basically sounds the same on any semi decent sound card, the downside being more CPU processes and slower FPS. If it was encoded with DD or DTS then the sound card would do the work and offload the pressure of the CPU. JMO.

naldo

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
Most Sound Cards dont decode Dolby Digital/DTS in Hardware anyways right? That why to get true dolby digital you have to connect you soundcard to a Home Theather Reciver\Set of Speakers that decodes the signal for you. I might be mistaken though. Plus Its going to sound exactly the same (or worse) so why bother?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Since no soundcard has hardware DD encoding, the encoding would need to be done in software with the CPU.

Most games now generate sound data (location, volume) and feed it to the soundcard, which then might do additional processing before sending the sound to the analog outs.

What you're wanting would add extra steps of running the results through a CPU-based software DD compressor / encoder driver and feeding a DD stream to the soundcard to pass through as-is to the digital out jack.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Elcs

Thats just not acceptable. Soundstorm analogue is just great /sarcasm

If you have a Soundstorm, you can use digital. It's the only soundcard out there that does realtime Dolby Digital encoding, meaning it can take the 5.1 signal from a game and encode it in real time into a DD stream and send it out digitally.

With any other sound card, you'd have to use the analog outs.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
HDA Digital X-Mystique does DICE too. Difficult to justify at twice the price of an Audigy 2 though -especially sans full EAX support and knowing that the software is immature.

Funkertosh

Apr 23, 2003
*ripped from the Creative site*

"Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro features built-in DTS-ES and Dolby Digital® EX decoding to deliver captivating audio playback in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround with DVD movies."

There is no mention of its use in games though.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Thanks for the info guys, but the original question was what games are DD. SW Battle grounds says DD on the box, I just wanted to know what other games are actually labeled as being DD. I havent seen DD on any recent games nor on many older ones.

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Funkertosh
*ripped from the Creative site*

"Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro features built-in DTS-ES and Dolby Digital® EX decoding to deliver captivating audio playback in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround with DVD movies."

There is no mention of its use in games though.

That is the exact opposite of what many people want it to do. They want Soundstorm style real time DD encoding. This allows a single cable to run from the computer to the receiver/speaker control pod, rather than doing 5 or 6 separate runs.

TGS

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
DD is just a digital unchanging stream of sound audio that decompressed and sent to the appropriate speakers during playback. EAX is for positional sound, that changes as the player of the game moves through the environment. EAX does the switching between speakers to give real-time 5.1 sound. EAX (not sure on X-Mystique) is only done through the analog ports, as digital does not carry the discrete sound channels.

Moving from an Nforce 2 board, to a Audigy 2 ZS, makes a huge difference in EAX playback. Sounds are greatly improved while, clarity in positional audio comes back in greater detail.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Thanks for the info guys, but the original question was what games are DD. SW Battle grounds says DD on the box, I just wanted to know what other games are actually labeled as being DD. I havent seen DD on any recent games nor on many older ones.

I said Doom, damnit.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

So, I guess what you're saying is that the sound in the game (on the CD) is analog and to send a digital signal from the soundcard to your sound system (e.g. receiver), that 5.1 analog would have to be converted to digital and then have to be converted back to analog for output to the speakers after amplification. Is that right? If it were digital on the CD, it could be sent directly (via optical or coaxial digital connection) to an amplifier (e.g. receiver) where the onboard DAC would take care of it.

So, I guess what you're saying is that although I have my soundcard connected to my receiver with a digital connection, I should also connect it with analog connections if I want 5.1 from my PC games.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Doom, EQ2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... are the recent games i've played with it. Infact, i personally think it's better than EAX3 (or was it 4) on my laptop (iXPS2 which is using Azalia). I bought the Creative Labs PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZX for my laptop, but actually found i liked the Azalia much better... and saved a couple of hundred bucks in the process.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Muse
So, I guess what you're saying is that the sound in the game (on the CD) is analog and to send a digital signal from the soundcard to your sound system (e.g. receiver), that 5.1 analog would have to be converted to digital and then have to be converted back to analog for output to the speakers after amplification. Is that right? If it were digital on the CD, it could be sent directly (via optical or coaxial digital connection) to an amplifier (e.g. receiver) where the onboard DAC would take care of it.

So, I guess what you're saying is that although I have my soundcard connected to my receiver with a digital connection, I should also connect it with analog connections if I want 5.1 from my PC games.
The data for the sounds in a game come from a CD, but are mixed together in real time to make new sound. For example if a monster is behind you one second that's where the "Rawrrr!" comes from, then you turn around and it's now sent to your front-left speaker and mixed with a sword slash sound. The CD data might have one "rawrrr" fragment (stored as a WAV file or another format) that is never actually played quite like it is on the CD.

Because the sound is being created newly second-by-second it's different from a movie where there is fixed sound pre-recorded on the DVD using Dolby 5.1.

But yes, for game surround sound you need to use the analog connectors.

PS - some games that say "dolby 5.1" might mean for the pre-rendered cut scene mini-movies rather than actual sound during gameplay. I've not bothered to check which ones are actually doing their own real-time dolby encoding with the CPU.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Looney
Doom, EQ2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... are the recent games i've played with it. Infact, i personally think it's better than EAX3 (or was it 4) on my laptop (iXPS2 which is using Azalia). I bought the Creative Labs PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZX for my laptop, but actually found i liked the Azalia much better... and saved a couple of hundred bucks in the process.

Finally! Thank you! :)

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Funkertosh
Since most PC games are ports you may find that the PC versions of these titles share the same DD trait. Unfortunately most ports are bad so they may have stripped it. It's a place to start at least.

No, most PC games are NOT console ports.