What non-gaming Virtual Reality applications are you most interested in?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
What non-gaming Virtual Reality applications are you most interested in?

Or are most interested in seeing developed?

Aug 11, 2008
None. I just wish my work would get moving on upgrading my core 2 duo running Win XP. As far a gaming goes, it does not really interest me at all either, and I think it is still a generation or two away from really "being there". Specifically they have to get rid of the headset.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Augmented reality with a 12" tall Barbara Eden in her Genie outfit running around the kitchen counter telling me how to prepare new recipes.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
something like google street view, but not only cities and roads. i wanna see the world.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i thought about this some more on the drive home yesterday, and i came up with some more applications:
1) Dance Club Mega Party VR - its a party, in your living room! choose your DJ and music style, add more clubbers around you and dance the night away.
this will be huge in the 12-16 boys/girls demographic and all ages in Japan ,Korea, and China. Plus, if a friend brings his/her headset you could dance together!

2) Live Pop-Rock Mega Show VR - get a front row ticket to the performance of a lifetime by your favorite artists and even get on stage with them! simulated crowd optional.

3) University/College (Mega?) Education VR - sit down, plug in, take a class, learn some sh*t from the best professors around the world. later you could take tests and maybe earn a degree.

4) See-The-World Mega Tourist VR - skip the long lines and walk around the world's greatest tourist attractions, museums, palaces, gardens and historic landmarks.

don't steal my ideas! i will start up a company to create these things. really, it has a huge market potential.

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
I've been considering buying a vr setup just for the VR tour of Chernobyl that's available.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Purely personally tourist VR, maybe of the make believe variety too. Combine with some sort of omni directional treadmill and you could happily waste a lot of evenings. Would be amazed if google don't get to something like in a decade or so.
(The data capture won't be fast of course!).

VR shopping in general I guess? You'd get most of the experience of getting to actually see the stuff in you're buying in the 'real' world without needing the huge floor space, travel time etc. Better experience in some ways as they could let you safely toy with/break stuff! If (when) we ever get to full 3D body scans used as avatars, then clothes shopping and things.

Really mundane work style stuff like making face to face meetings work better perhaps, I'm a bit unsure how well the internet bandwidth would cope with that.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
I have yet to try VR, but I have read that it can simulate the feeling of heights pretty well. It would be interesting if one could train themselves to get used to heights with an app that progressively puts your avatar at greater heights and in more perilous conditions. I see they have a fearless app but it looks to be focused on spiders. Definitely some interesting things that can be done here.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have yet to try VR, but I have read that it can simulate the feeling of heights pretty well. It would be interesting if one could train themselves to get used to heights with an app that progressively puts your avatar at greater heights and in more perilous conditions. I see they have a fearless app but it looks to be focused on spiders. Definitely some interesting things that can be done here.

like this: http://www.popsci.com/cat-rescue-virtual-reality

techne

May 5, 2016
Virtual sports (skating, surfing, tennis table) and whatever that could make me do some workout.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002

That does work. Play some Ultimate Booster Experience or Richie's Plank Experience or even Chills and Thrills. It starts out scary beyond belief and then slowly you can desensitize yourself.

There's a professor at the University of Toronto using a Vive to teach anatomy. He literally lectures while wearing the headset. The students only see a 2D screen of it, but he can manipulate objects, change transparencies and point out structures without having a cadaver around.

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
Education - virtual Labs that are too dangerous/ expensive to conduct in meatspace. Also job simulators designed to help teens narrow down career preferences rather than just entertain. Some balance between getting a sense of what it's like being good at a trade as well as an authentic feel for elements of tedium/grind that even the most glamorous jobs usually include.

Johnmcl7

Mar 12, 2003
As others have said, I think VR is superb for experiences - Valve's the Lab has a few scenic spots you can view in VR and it's incredible how immersive it is particularly Vesper Peak which I've had people scared to moved as they feel like they're on the edge of a mountain.

I also think VR could be great for communications, Raw Data has multiplayer and it's quite eerie when you see another player because the game has their head and hand movements it really seems there's something there. You can speak to them with the onboard mic and they can speak back, similarly some of the big screen applications allow you to have several people together in a VR room of your choice with a big screen up sharing someone's content and you can talk to the other people while watching the content.

John