What NIDS (Network Intrusion Detection System) do you use?

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
I'm interested in setting up a NIDS. I tried for several days to make Snort useful and it made me want to bathe in acid.

I am willing to spend money on a suite that doesn't require 800 different third party applications to work properly.

Thanks!
Bill

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I've been using Roguescanner occasionally

It identifies how many devices are actually on your network. I have a wireless network with WPA2 and a > 15 character password but it's nice being able double check.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Snort takes a full-time TCP/IP and security expert to baby-sit it and sift through false positives. Fun CS project, but not realistic for a business.

Meanwhile, lots and lots of people make NIDS. I think the biggest players are cisco, palo alto, fireeye, and juniper. All of them have significant cost associated and do not require a bunch of 3rd party junk to work. 3 out of 4 of them also have integrated appliances - firewall + IDS/IPS, VPN, etc which can be handy. They also all have their various pros/cons. I recommend trying them out if at all possible.