What music are you listening to now?

Page 382 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well, I didn't have my 5.1 system set up then so raw PCM stereo was all I was after and that's what I got. Going to have to dig it out now that I fixed my Logitech Z-680 speakers (DTD/DD decoding). :)

Do you have a dvd-audio player? and does your z-680 take 6 channel analogue input? I doubt it is capable of playing back dvd-a fully anyway :biggrin:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Do you have a dvd-audio player? and does your z-680 take 6 channel analogue input? I doubt it is capable of playing back dvd-a fully anyway :biggrin:
No, I don't have a DVD-A player. It was the 6.1 DTS-ES encode I was after (backwards compatible as 5.1 with DTS). The bonus tracks over the CD version were icing on the cake. :)

If I did have a DVD-A player they do have six discrete analog inputs but only the speakers connected to the amp have spring terminals or speaker wire. The analog inputs are three stereo cables (3x3.5mm jacks) intended for PC soundcards, but a trip to Radio Shack is all it takes to connect them to a DVD-A player.

I'm kinda hard of hearing and I don't intend to spend more on audio, so THX-certified PC speakers with surround decoding are more than good enough for me, and it doesn't hurt that they are the best the PC world has to offer. The 505 watt RMS and DTS/DD decoding is what made them top-dog over the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 set back in 2003. They were redesigned as the Logitech Z-5500 speakers in 2004 and stayed top-dog until a year or two ago when they were finally discontinued with NO successor product. My only complaints are that the remote sucks, there aren't enough digital inputs, and I wish I could turn the sub down more. The crossover frequency can't be adjusted for content without a discrete sub channel so even the lowest sub volume setting is often too high.

If I ever get a normal home theater AV receiver for the video functions I'd save these and connect 'em to it (mod the woofer to work without the control pod and buy more sats for extra channels). They mount and look nice too.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No, I don't have a DVD-A player. It was the 6.1 DTS-ES encode I was after (backwards compatible as 5.1 with DTS). The bonus tracks over the CD version were icing on the cake. :)

If I did have a DVD-A player they do have six discrete analog inputs but only the speakers connected to the amp have spring terminals or speaker wire. The analog inputs are three stereo cables (3x3.5mm jacks) intended for PC soundcards, but a trip to Radio Shack is all it takes to connect them to a DVD-A player.

I'm kinda hard of hearing and I don't intend to spend more on audio, so THX-certified PC speakers with surround decoding are more than good enough for me, and it doesn't hurt that they are the best the PC world has to offer. The 505 watt RMS and DTS/DD decoding is what made them top-dog over the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 set back in 2003. They were redesigned as the Logitech Z-5500 speakers in 2004 and stayed top-dog until a year or two ago when they were finally discontinued with NO successor product. My only complaints are that the remote sucks, there aren't enough digital inputs, and I wish I could turn the sub down more. The crossover frequency can't be adjusted for content without a discrete sub channel so even the lowest sub volume setting is often too high.

If I ever get a normal home theater AV receiver for the video functions I'd save these and connect 'em to it (mod the woofer to work without the control pod and buy more sats for extra channels). They mount and look nice too.

no, they sound "nice" for what they are, PC speakers.

my 15" sub built into my main speakers are driven by 500w rms amp. each :biggrin:

The actual speaker section is driven by 165w rms.

You feel the music :awe: