What motherboards have Non-Z overclocking enabled for Pentium 3258?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

braille12

Aug 27, 2014
I can OC my g3258 in msi b85-g43 gaming without difficulties, so far I push it to 4.3 @ 1.2 volts and maybe next time I would push it up to 4.5 if I have time to stress test it

sammy69

Oct 18, 2014
For some laughs I decided to mess around with the ASROCK H81M-HDS since I'm probably going to use this mobo for my HTPC. Anyways, this badboy seems more rock solid than the MSI B85-G43 Gaming mobo. Currently priming my best chip batch 3418B976 4.5GHz @ 1.3v (I'm thinking I can drop the vcore some more).

Hi! I have ASRock H81M-HDS and I was able to OC only to 4.2. Can you tell me how have you done it, that it is 4,5 ? What did you set in BIOS ? Thanks

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
You used the 4.2 preset?

You can adjust the core multiplier, you can manually set it higher in the bios. Make sure you know how to do stability tests and keep an eye on temps first though.

sammy69

Oct 18, 2014
yes, like it is in that movie I send. Its working very stable, I overclocked BY ASRock OC Tweaker. That was max from that program. However I can't do anything manually in BIOS.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Maybe update it to a later version with G3258 support. Best way to update a bios is with a usb stick, might need to be fat32 formatted? dunno, maybe ntfs works too.

sammy69

Oct 18, 2014
so I done it, now is 1.90 and I have full support to g3258, I was able to overclock in BIOS to 4.4 and I keep settings. For some reason I lose booting for windows and need to instal it again. Thanks a lot for help ! :) I will keep that 4.4 its more then I need :D

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I would guess that about 1.25V would be in range for 4.4GHz, but is always depends on the CPU. 1.4V should be reserved for 4.9GHz+.

Dan-H

Sep 16, 2014
Mobo: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H - board Rev 2.0 - BIOS FD

CPU: G3258 S-spec SR1V0 Batch L421B804 MALAY

4.0 Ghz effortless overclock with stock cooler. I did not bother to try for faster.

CPU core temps hovered around 68C ( prime95 on win 81) max temp 73C /70C for the two cores.

Unstable with onboard graphics and prime95, or maybe it was stable but the screen stopped refreshing and was completely pixelated. Install a spare GPU and prime95 ran fine.

Installed ubuntu 14.04 LTS and ran "stress c 2" for an hour and CPU temps were low 60s max. Removed GPU, re-ran stress test, temps the same, system is awesome.

Ambient Room Temperature 69-70 F (21C) in a mini tower case with a single exhaust fan.

CPU voltages are not being reported up to Linux correctly so this is a to-do.

Overall I'm very happy to get 4.0Ghz, these temps and near zero effort.

Last edited:

PeterZA

Oct 23, 2014
Pentium G3258 at 4.40Ghz on cheap MSI H81M-P33 board ( latest BIOS 1.7 ) ... Voltage 1.295 V .. Set the ring Ratio to 36 ( Auto voltage ) .. Ring Ratio seems to have quite an impact on this board at 4.3Ghz and above. 1:1 ratio never worked for me over 4.2Ghz

Prime 95 Torture Test .. ( all 3 test runs for 24 hours each . No errors ).. Temps maxed out at 76 C.
Note : Stable at 4.2Ghz with default voltage . Ring ratio of 1:1 ie : 42 was used . . Temp stayed in the 60's under stress

Note : I used a Fixed Multiplier ie : 44x . Not Adaptive.
Not sure why anyone would use Adaptive anyway as at 4.4Ghz this CPU hardly uses much power.

Other things to note. Set power plan to high performance.
I'm using a very cheap Deepcool Gammaxx 200 cooler under $10 ( I'm converting from South Africa Rands so probably even cheaper elsewhere )

The point was to overclock using budget components. Totally pointless bothering to overclock a G3258 on a high end board with fancy cooling, etc

Other relevant parts used .. Palit StormX Dual GTX 750Ti ( That's the name of the card. It is not Dual GTX 750 Ti's )
1x 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Patriot SL Dimm
Real budget 450W Thermaltake Litepower PSU

Overall I found this overclock very easy. It took me only a few minutes to figure out 4.2Ghz at default settings and 4.4Ghz took perhaps 20 minutes to get a stable boot at settings mentioned. From there the stress tests confirmed all was working 100%.

I didn't bother trying any settings over 4.4Ghz and feel that on this board anything higher would start getting very tricky and not worth the time and effort.

This is for a client of mine so am confident it is a stable overclock and not just a quickfire attempt. It has been thoroughly stress tested. So a really cheap little budget gaming PC without adding to the costs. So a 1.2Ghz overclock and really the only extra thing added is the under $10 cooler.

Well done MSI and for once I can say well done Intel !

Last edited:

VeerK

Jul 22, 2014
Just wanted to say thanks to the contributors of this thread: I am looking for an ITX board to pair with a G3258 for a portable gaming and HTPC rig while still coming in under $599. OCing with a cheaper nonZ mobo is the only way, so thank you guys.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
I seem torn between buying a i3 4150 and use it on my current $40 ECS mainboard or buy the unlocked pentium and a new $60 over clocking mainboard like the MSI military class for just $60

Perhaps I should just buy the i3 and sell my current pentium G3220 right?

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I seem torn between buying a i3 4150 and use it on my current $40 ECS mainboard or buy the unlocked pentium and a new $60 over clocking mainboard like the MSI military class for just $60

Perhaps I should just buy the i3 and sell my current pentium G3220 right?

Part of your problem is your motherboard selection boxed you in as far far as being able to use any 1150 CPU you want. You either have to live with locked CPUs, or bite the bullet and get a mobo that will allow overclocking. Mini-ITX severely limits choices as far as Z97 boards go, though, and when you find one you are paying one premium for the form factor, and another for the Z chipset, none of them are cheap.

Here's one for $100 AR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157531

bichael

Nov 16, 2014
Just wanted to share that I've had good experience with the MSI B85i ITX motherboard and the G3258. It booted up fine when I first ran it (one of my original concerns) and a bios update enabled overclocking.

Initially I got to 4.4GHz at 1.14V with the stock cooler.

With aftermarket cooler (relatively cheap and small Gamerstorm Gabriel) I'm now upto 4.6GHz at 1.21V.

My voltages are lower than average though so seems I have got quite lucky with my chip.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Just wanted to share that I've had good experience with the MSI B85i ITX motherboard and the G3258. It booted up fine when I first ran it (one of my original concerns) and a bios update enabled overclocking.

Initially I got to 4.4GHz at 1.14V with the stock cooler.

With aftermarket cooler (relatively cheap and small Gamerstorm Gabriel) I'm now upto 4.6GHz at 1.21V.

My voltages are lower than average though so seems I have got quite lucky with my chip.
Congratulations, you definitely scored a nice chip there!

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Looks like a nice chip indeed.

Make sure it's stable though, I thought mine was when it survived LinX and 8 hours of prime, but the system hardlocked in games, lower multi or a slightly higher vcore and no crashes at all.

dessertfirst

Nov 26, 2014
After reading all posts in this thread, I registered so I could find info about the G3258 overclocking capability of the motherboard mentioned in the title.

I have a G3258 and I just need a mobo to complete my build. I plan to use the Pentium as a stopgap and upgrade to an i5 or i7 later next year, so I needed a mobo with room for upgradability (and can support 5th gen too). I originally planned to get the MSI Z97M-G43 because it fits my case and matches the blue and black theme that I am aiming for (already purchased HyperX Fury blue for that matter). However, that mobo isn't available where I live, only its H version, that looks exactly like it. Can't do shipping. One alternative is the Gigabyte Z97M-D3H, lots of good reviews just like the MSI. Also, I am not willing to OC on an H81 or B85—as I said, I need room for upgradability.

Before I go with Gigabyte and scrap my blue/black build (sorry for being so anal about how my build would look), does anyone have experience on overclocking the Pentium on MSI H97M-G43? Holiday sales are coming and I can get it for around $80.

Any kind of help will be appreciated. Thanks!