What motherboards have Non-Z overclocking enabled for Pentium 3258?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Ok. I´ll go for the ASRock H81M-ITX.
Can I do the overclock from the BIOS without problem with this H81?

ASRock technical support told me (over the phone) that board supported unlocked multiplier overclocking with G3258 provided the latest BIOS was used.

Hopefully the tech wasn't getting any details mixed up.

GeorgeStephanop

Jul 24, 2014
ASRock technical support told me (over the phone) that board supported unlocked multiplier overclocking with G3258 provided the latest BIOS was used.

Hopefully the tech wasn't getting any details mixed up.

I have an ASRock H81M-ITX and can confirm that it can overclock the G3258. I haven't had enough time to do a proper iterative overclock-stability check-overclock-etc., but I took it up to 4.2ghz before I ran out of time yesterday with 1.2v (incidentally, voltage doesn't seem to be limited on this motherboard), while running Prime95. Got uncomfortably hot (90's) despite the aftermarket heatsink (SilenX EFZ-80HA3, it's an HTPC case so I can't exactly stick a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO in there), so I doubt I'll take it that high again unless I figure something out to improve the cooling.

EDIT: Lowest stable voltage at 4.2Ghz was 1.15v, which reached 83 degrees. However, I was able to stabilize 4.1Ghz at 1.11v, which maxed at only 75 degrees. I think I'll be leaving it there for now.

But anywho, basically the Asrock H81M-ITX motherboard was more than up to the task in my case.

39mjB6U.jpg

Last edited:

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
very high temperatures are pretty normal with haswell, at stock, with the stock cooler they can get well over 70, close to 80.

only cool haswells I've seen were delidded watercooled chips.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'd say a prolonged load test with temps below 90°C is a great success with air cooled Haswell.

GeorgeStephanop

Jul 24, 2014
Just wanted to point out that the screenshot wasn't from the prolonged test. I forgot to take a shot at that point, but the temps were around 88-90 degrees, with a max of 93, according to HWMonitor.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I have an ASRock H81M-ITX and can confirm that it can overclock the G3258. I haven't had enough time to do a proper iterative overclock-stability check-overclock-etc., but I took it up to 4.2ghz before I ran out of time yesterday with 1.2v (incidentally, voltage doesn't seem to be limited on this motherboard), while running Prime95. Got uncomfortably hot despite the aftermarket heatsink (SilenX EFZ-80HA3, it's an HTPC case so I can't exactly stick a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO in there), so I doubt I'll take it that high again unless I figure something out to improve the cooling.

But anywho, basically the Asrock H81M-ITX motherboard was more than up to the task in my case.

39mjB6U.jpg

Thank you very much for the confirmation on the Non-Z OC capability of this motherboard.

bentech

Apr 18, 2009
Bought an MSI B85M Gaming motherboard and a G3258. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85M_GAMING.html

Booted up right away with BIOS version 10, no problems. Would not seem to change the CPU multiplier though, maxes at 32. Updated BIOS to version 10.1 in hopes of being able to adjust multiplier higher, no joy.

I guess, unless I am missing something, which could be, this motherboard can't O/C.

Anyone else have experience with this board?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
I have an ASRock H81M-ITX and can confirm that it can overclock the G3258. I haven't had enough time to do a proper iterative overclock-stability check-overclock-etc., but I took it up to 4.2ghz before I ran out of time yesterday with 1.2v (incidentally, voltage doesn't seem to be limited on this motherboard), while running Prime95. Got uncomfortably hot despite the aftermarket heatsink (SilenX EFZ-80HA3, it's an HTPC case so I can't exactly stick a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO in there), so I doubt I'll take it that high again unless I figure something out to improve the cooling.

39mjB6U.jpg

pretty awesome ! i was thinking about picking up this board for the G3258 too. it's $60 @ newegg, and i can use BTC to pay for it with a 10% off BTC coupon :D

guitarizt2

Jul 19, 2014
A word of warning about my Gigabyte H81M-H board:

I threw in my 8600 gt to see if it would help my fps much. I've tried three different driver versions, including one older than one I know should work, and I get like half a frame per second with age of kings, aoe hd, and bastion (now you can see why I'm fine with onboard graphics). With bastion it runs fine until an animation or anything happens that would use the gpu. HD movies and shows play fine which confuses me since I was expecting them to lag when I tested them. The point is, I think it has to do with the beta bios. I would think someone would have complained in the sd thread with the b85 board, so those are probably fine.

I ran 25 max passes of ibt and it passed at 4.2 GHz @ 1.2v. I'll try 4.3 GHz @ 1.2v tonight. 4.4 GHz bsod's right away.

Metaphis

Apr 1, 2005
Asus H81M-K: No overclocking

I have the Asus H81M-K with update 0805 and It doesn't allow multiplier above 32 so no overclock unless I'm doing something wrong. So unless there is an extra step beyond switching to XMP and then All core and setting a number there. No luck on this one.

guitarizt2

Jul 19, 2014
I ran 25 max passes of ibt at 4.3 GHz so it's confirmed pretty damn stable. I'm using F8 bios with a gigabyte h81m-h (already in the op and passed on 10 max passes of ibt). Max temps are 64c-66c with a 212+ depending on my ambient room temp which varies greatly from day to night. Max power consumption is 78 watts with my dvd drive in and 75 watts when I took it out. I'm not using a gpu. My geforce 8600gt added about 20-30 watts at idle and it warmed up the room and didn't work for games so I took it out.

I insta bsod at 4.4 GHz.

victor_12

Jul 25, 2014
Some comments on:
" MSI B85-G43 gaming (ATX) + post #16, OC was 4.5 Ghz... Glad to see Non-Z overclocking still working on that board in 2014)"

It seems that OC is still locked for "MSI B85-G43 gaming (ATX)" for any bios I could find around, including C0-C6 (v12.0-12.6) available from MSI support site, as well as the leak bios recently discussed on various OC forums.
I flashed all of them today with negative results. The board came from newegg recent MB+G3258 deal. It came with 12.4 bios, if I remeber correctly after all that multiple attempts.
I also have v3.3, and 3.4 bios images for regular MSI B85-G43 (not gaming), obviously it has different network controller vs gaming MB, so I did not try those images yet.
So two questions to the community:

1. Did anybody try the bios for regular MSI B85-G43 on gaming MB?
2. Could the forum members who have some personal experience with MSI B85-G43 gaming (ATX) confirm, this MB is indeed overclockable, and on what bios?

Thanks,
-Victor

ps
the leaked bios was taken from here
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bios-leak-h81-b85-can-oc-with-g3258-now.203155/

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Some comments on:
" MSI B85-G43 gaming (ATX) + post #16, OC was 4.5 Ghz... Glad to see Non-Z overclocking still working on that board in 2014)"

It seems that OC is still locked for "MSI B85-G43 gaming (ATX)" for any bios I could find around, including C0-C6 (v12.0-12.6) available from MSI support site, as well as the leak bios recently discussed on various OC forums.
I flashed all of them today with negative results. The board came from newegg recent MB+G3258 deal. It came with 12.4 bios, if I remeber correctly after all that multiple attempts.
I also have v3.3, and 3.4 bios images for regular MSI B85-G43 (not gaming), obviously it has different network controller vs gaming MB, so I did not try those images yet.
So two questions to the community:

1. Did anybody try the bios for regular MSI B85-G43 on gaming MB?
2. Could the forum members who have some personal experience with MSI B85-G43 gaming (ATX) confirm, this MB is indeed overclockable, and on what bios?

Thanks,
-Victor

ps
the leaked bios was taken from here
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bios-leak-h81-b85-can-oc-with-g3258-now.203155/

You should be able to change the multiplier seeing as we already have confirmation this board has that capability.

So let me ask you the following question:

When you select "CPU ratio" by simply moving the mouse in the BIOS, what happens when you type in a number like 40? Does "Auto" change to 40?

(Please do not right or left click the mouse, just hover over "CPU ratio" in the BIOS with the mouse and then type in an appropriate number on the keyboard)

The reason I am asking is because I find the way a person changes multipliers on MSI boards to be somewhat counter intuitive.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Bought an MSI B85M Gaming motherboard and a G3258. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85M_GAMING.html

Booted up right away with BIOS version 10, no problems. Would not seem to change the CPU multiplier though, maxes at 32. Updated BIOS to version 10.1 in hopes of being able to adjust multiplier higher, no joy.

I guess, unless I am missing something, which could be, this motherboard can't O/C.

Anyone else have experience with this board?

See post #114.

(Yes, I know you have a different model motherboard....but please try the method I explained for changing the multiplier)

victor_12

Jul 25, 2014
>When you select "CPU ratio" by simply moving the mouse in the BIOS, what happens when you type in a number like 40? Does "Auto" change to 40?

Beatifuful, it seems working by simply typing the ratio. I did never see anything like that before, so your help is highly appreciated. The bios is 12.6, which is the latest I believe. The core voltage in the auto mode seems a bit excessive, like about 1.18v for cpu mutiplier = 38. So probably it need to be ajusted in the manual mode.
Should I also just type the voltage numbers in the cpu voltage overide mode?
Also I assume G3258 does not support better than DDR3-1600, it seems to be in the spec. Thanks again, -Victor

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
>When you select "CPU ratio" by simply moving the mouse in the BIOS, what happens when you type in a number like 40? Does "Auto" change to 40?

Beatifuful, it seems working by simply typing the ratio. I did never see anything like that before, so your help is highly appreciated. The bios is 12.6, which is the latest I believe. The core voltage in the auto mode seems a bit excessive, like about 1.18v for cpu mutiplier = 38. So probably it need to be ajusted in the manual mode.
Should I also just type the voltage numbers in the cpu voltage overide mode?
Also I assume G3258 does not support better than DDR3-1600, it seems to be in the spec. Thanks again, -Victor

Awesome! (I am glad that worked.)

Yeah, I remember when I first got my MSI board how weird it seemed to me to change the multiplier that way. (Hopefully MSI is able to change that soon.)

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014

According to asrock support you cant overclock memory on a H81 chipset, so you can only run 1333 (default value for the pentium).

I've lowered the timings instead, should give similar results unless you're trying to boost igp performance or something.

victor_12

Jul 25, 2014
Thanks again gentlemen, what a relief after waisting half of the day playing with flashing the bios.

>According to asrock support you cant overclock memory on a H81 chipset, so you can only run 1333
I believe you are right on 1333 vs 1600, but I thought it is G3258 specific.

>I've lowered the timings instead, should give similar results unless you're trying to boost igp performance or something.

That sounds interesting, could you be more specific on the settings that work for you?
Regards, -Victor

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
All G3258's "support" 1333 memory, any higher is overclocking which isn't allowed by intel on H81, maybe this can be hacked too, but it isn't here yet.

Anyway, memory speed and timing settings will only yield very marginal performance increases. Look into it when you get bored after you've reached the max cpu overclock :).

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Asus H81M-K: No overclocking

I have the Asus H81M-K with update 0805 and It doesn't allow multiplier above 32 so no overclock unless I'm doing something wrong. So unless there is an extra step beyond switching to XMP and then All core and setting a number there. No luck on this one.

Bummer... maybe next update? Beta BIOS maybe?

justin4pack

Jan 21, 2012
So With the Help of Jeeper94 and a specific bios flash (7/11/2013) I was in fact able to Overclock on the Biostar Hi-Fi B85s3+ ver 6.x.

I have some info based off of stock clock and at OC. Currently on air I have not gone any higher then 4.5GHZ as it gets way to hot.

Stock cinebench score was 2.69

@4.5GHZ Cinebench score was 3.67 with a max temp of 95'.
4_5ghz.png

Stock valley bench with a r9-270 was 2647 with 63 average fps.
4.5ghz valley bench with r9-270 was 2751 with 65 average fps.

validate.png

On idle @ 4.5ghz ~44' that's with auto adjust voltage of 1.33v

justin4pack

Jan 21, 2012
Quick update. I was able to manually set the voltage to 1.17 and it was stable @ 4.5ghz. so there is room for improvement. but until I get off the stock cooler im not going to push it. Very nice.