what motherboard has the best onboard sound z270

Always_Winter

Apr 26, 2017
i was going to buy a sound card but since im on a h170 board i could use the upgrade so i want to know which z270 has the best onboard sound between gigabyte,msi,asus and asrock

You are only allowed one post on this subject. I am locking the other post.
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Desired form factor and budget will help you get answers, as well as if you have any brand preference within the ones you list.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Meanwhile I would tentatively recommend the ASRock Z270 Extreme4, not just for the above average sound implementation but for things like good reliability, Intel NIC, and good value for the $$$

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
As I posted in your other thread, you won't notice a difference with either sound card using those spears. As crashtech mentioned, base your decision on other board features.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You can get your sound in various ways and continue to use the speaker system. I am assuming that 2.1 system uses 3.5mm stereo plugs. No doubt about it, I would think.

If you have a graphics card, you can port sound through HDMI to an AVR with HDMI inputs. You can also acquire a decoder device with 3.5mm outputs (in addition to optical, HDMI -- possibly RCA) and HDMI input. I personally had one in mind for myself, but it's been a few years since I looked into it and I can't remember the name or model. Lemme think a-minute:

HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-channel Decoder $58 bucks (!!!!-and-read-on)

This is the same device, maybe renamed, presented in the identical way as the unit I saw three years ago. At that time, they occupied a price-point of ~$130 to ~$140.

Let me say that I dabble in computer-sound apps and options. I am not that knowledgeable. But there are many good analog computer sound systems: Mine is an old Logitech Z7xx (I can't remember the model-code, and the labels aren't immediately accessible) 5.1 system. I can switch one computer between the Logitech and an ONKYO 7.1 AVR, but the Logitech seems to be getting 300 out of 365-day usage.

Anybody who thinks this is not the device I myself am assuming it to be should speak up -- especially -- because the price-point is such that I will spring for it myself. And I wouldn't want to mislead the OP.

Just as afterthought, there are ~$25 HDMI splitters you could combine with this particular model -- I just have yet to try it myself. I happen to have such a splitter, so the impulse-buy is almost a dead certainty unless I'm barking up the wrong tree and somebody gives me a heads up.

UPDATE: Yes, I have conviction this is the device with features I assumed it has. It is also HDCP compliant. Some of these devices -- I found one sold in Australia of a different make -- are priced at $160 or so. I think I found one alternative running between $500 and $600. But if it works and works well . . . I have to tell . . . I just pulled the checkout string from an EBay outfit with 13 to sell.

Last edited: