What model specific changes you think Intel will make to the Kabylake line-up?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Here are two changes/improvements that I think are likely:

1. Desktop Celeron with GT2 (or at least GT 1.5) graphics.

2. Hyperthreading added to whatever Desktop Pentium SKU has GT2 graphics.

Last edited:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
3) Heavily gimped lower end model like the i5 6400

4) Possible nasty surprises with the iGPU - Skylake only supports HEVC 8-bit say

Doubt Intel will cannibalize its higher end models by pumping up the Celerons and Pentiums either.

Last edited:

zentan

Jan 23, 2015
Frequency bump 100-200MHz to newer SKUs and may be some little changes to uncore.
IGP changes regarding new media/codec capabilities also possibly little improved Quicksync.
270 Series chipset feature improvements over 170 series other than possibly increasing the maximum Z-series PCIe lanes by from 20 to 24.
Overall nothing dramatic from Skylake CPU performance.

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
3) Heavily gimped lower end model like the i5 6400

4) Possible nasty surprises with the iGPU - Skylake only supports HEVC 8-bit say

Doubt Intel will cannibalize its higher end models by pumping up the Celerons and Pentiums either.

It supports 10 bit as well via GPU shaders. I know, because i've tested this on my i3 6100u

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
Here are two changes/improvements that I think are likely:

1. Desktop Celeron with GT2 (or at least GT 1.5) graphics.

hyperthreading would be great. They already do a hyperthreaded pentium on their notebook line.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
hyperthreading would be great. They already do a hyperthreaded pentium on their notebook line.

Yep, Consumer Pentium Mobile has been getting hypethreading since the 3825U (Broadwell):

http://ark.intel.com/products/86348/Intel-Pentium-Processor-3825U-2M-Cache-1_90-GHz

And 4405U is the skylake mobile Pentium with HT:

http://ark.intel.com/products/89611/Intel-Pentium-Processor-4405U-2M-Cache-2_10-GHz

(I believe prior to Broadwell, there was an embedded Pentium with HT but I can't remember the model number)

Meanwhile the desktop Skylake Celerons and Pentium got AES-NI and Vt-D (previously only available on Haswell Core i3 and above). The Skylake G4500 was the first Pentium to receive GT2.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Wouldn't that make for a decent budget chip...

...unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with this.

It could be possible to differentiate Pentiums and i3's by the simple expedient of adding a healthy turbo to the i3's.

Also, I'd like to see at least one native quad core at i3 pricing, but I doubt that's happening. A >4GHz default i3 could be interesting too, especially for legacy software.

Meanwhile the desktop Skylake Celerons and Pentium got AES-NI and Vt-D (previously only available on Haswell Core i3 and above). The Skylake G4500 was the first Pentium to receive GT2.

Both are a very nice addition to the budget segment. But at least for AES-NI, I think Intel has to add that, with the current focus on drive encryption. Even lowly Atom cores have AES-NI support.

386DX

Feb 11, 2010
I'm hoping at some point Intel just incorporates crystal well into all the core chips. A lineup like this:

Celeron: No HT
Pentium: HT
i3: HT + 32MB eDRAM
i5: No HT + 64MB eDRAM
I7: HT + 128MB eDRAM

With chip volume down they could use the extra fab capacity for the eDRAM modules. This would give not only give all the core chips a slight CPU boost (eDRAM also acts as cache) but would help further differentiate a Pentium and a Core i3.