What mean LAG in online gaming

necudo

Feb 18, 2013
Ok its probably is stupid question. i live in Thailand and currently using dad's notebook.Playing a Unreal Tournament 1999(yes i know its old:p) on servers.
So when i play online ,i click a mouse and fire a shot BUT sound and bullet go late about half/even 1 second delay.Is this what is called lag?Ping is like 250.
I saw on youtube even people with ping like that would play BF3/MW3 and get on top 5 players.But with my ,it is even nonsensce to play.
So i was wondering is this a ping or just i get delay of shot because of something else?:confused:
i want to buy a medium gaming pc for BF3,and would probably be playing on Japanese/Korean servers where the ping is 150-200.so i dont know if it is worth it:oops:
thank you for help:colbert:

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I would rather play on a bad pc with a great connection, than a good pc with bad connection.

necudo

Feb 18, 2013
you have lag. you need to find servers closer to you and look for under 100ms ping.
Yeah i know,there are much servers in singapore,hong kong for BF3 where i can get 50-60 ping,which is good.For Mw3,Black Ops i think there are no dedicated servers.
Playing online rts or fifa/pes does high ping(150-200) affect online gaming similiar to fps?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Lag in the traditional sense means the latency between you and the server or other person(s) you are trying to connect to.

If there is a spike in the latency or a sustained high ping, often people will say "Laggggg!!!"

This type of situation may be as follows. You, as player one, press the LMB to fire your grenade launcher. 3 seconds later, the grenade launcher fires on screen and the other players on screen either freeze or dart around making it difficult to track them.

There is a new meaning of "LAG" however, referring to the slow down in framerate due to poor performing hardware or poorly written code.

I.E., You exit a cave and enter a vast outdoor area with buildings, causing the framerate to dip into the 10's or 0's from a steady 30fps or 60fps. As the screen begins to "jitter", you will state "LAGGGG".

Sometimes there is a combination of a low framerate AND a high ping.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Lag in the traditional sense means the latency between you and the server or other person(s) you are trying to connect to.

If there is a spike in the latency or a sustained high ping, often people will say "Laggggg!!!"

This type of situation may be as follows. You, as player one, press the LMB to fire your grenade launcher. 3 seconds later, the grenade launcher fires on screen and the other players on screen either freeze or dart around making it difficult to track them.

There is a new meaning of "LAG" however, referring to the slow down in framerate due to poor performing hardware or poorly written code.

I.E., You exit a cave and enter a vast outdoor area with buildings, causing the framerate to dip into the 10's or 0's from a steady 30fps or 60fps. As the screen begins to "jitter", you will state "LAGGGG".

Sometimes there is a combination of a low framerate AND a high ping.

This is called LLLLLAAA......... AAAAGGGGGG. or shorthand, Lagagheddon

Irony is I lagged at the forum log in to post here >.>

Nov 26, 2005
The original UT is such an awesome game. :)

Fixed. People still play UT3 as do i religiously , and IMO it's closer to the original UT99 than 2k4.

@ OP - turn all your settings down and lower the resolution as much as possible and see if the lag minimizes, if it does then your computer is part of the problem. Otherwise find a closer server.