Question What looks like the sweet spot in drive size and price, the two days before BF edition?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Last batch I bought HGST 4TB refurbs for about $53 each for 6 on ebay, looking now at 4, 6, and 8TB the sweet spot eludes me.

I want to populate a second 4 bay NAS, first got 4TB x3 JBOD, second one I want to run 4x in a RAID5. I could buy two more same 4TB drives as the first, or four larger drives and have longer to not worry about needing more space (current use is about 7 out of 10.7TB without a lot of expected growth).

SimplyComplex

Jul 4, 2009
4tb will probably be cheaper per gig, just because 6tb were never common. 8tb was more common, but were also around $200 drives until two years ago.

A casual check confirms my thinking, the 8tb are about 15% more per tb. Which is close enough I'd probably go with those just because it's fewer drives to deal with and they're probably newer drives. Most of the 8tb would be helium while the 4tb would not.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Price/TB is a factor, but so is fitting sizing needs, bays I have open, drives I already own.
Prices I see now on ebay;
4TB same HGST SATA drives and vendor as I bought before, $55/drive. Two more fills current needs.
6TB HGST various, none with a good warranty, like 3yrs, mostly 30 days, $80/drive.
8TB HGST around $120.
14TB externals at BB $190, USB or shuck, dandy as my last stage mirror of my primary RAID NAS.

Given this is BF week, waiting is a good idea. (Inigo Montoya voice) I hate to wait.