What language should I take this fall?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Summitdrinker

Golden Member
May 10, 2004
take russian, chinese, or arabic..maybe Japanese.....................

why learn the language of two washed up countries

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: HardcoreRomantic
yeah... I've never really seen too many similarities in Spanish and French. Sadly, the U doesn't offer Romanian. (personally, I'd love to learn Lithuanian. I've been taught to read it and have been told I read it well, I just don't understand it.) I don't understand how Romanian was forgotten as it wasn't an option for me to take...

learn greek.
or Japanese for all the anime.

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007
The reason I'm trying to choose between these two is because they are the only two that have open seats in class times that I have open. The rest are all offered during classes that I need to take for my major. This would just be my "fun" class.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Take neither and do what I did. Say you're bi-lingual and your second language is something like Warumungu (choose any obscure African or Austrailian language). Then just make stuff up if they ask you to speak it.

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
German.

They already mopped the floor with the frogs in 2 WWs.

Uh, the French were on the winning side in both those wars, Einstein.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
If you want to stay here in america, learning spanish would be most useful (I guess I'm assuming you have a decent comprehension / mastery of the english language, if not, learn that first).

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
From a business world perspective, French. It is spoken more widely internationally. Truth is that German is only spoken in Germany, Austria and parts of Switzerland, for the most part. The vast majority of people in those countries will also speak English. While the same is true for Francophone countries, there are more of them and they tend to appreciate more if you speak their language. In my experience, Germans, especially younger ones, are more ambivalent about speaking English than French speakers, especially Quebecois.

Spanish, Chinese and Japanese, in that order, are still more useful than either French or German.

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007
As much as I'd like to learn French, I think I'm going to end up taking German, mostly because it meets everday (hearing it everyday as opposed to twice a week makes it much easier to pick up). Again, I know neither of these is really as "useful" as a few other languages, these are really just my only two options since I'm registering so late.

Summitdrinker

Golden Member
May 10, 2004
Originally posted by: sierrita
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
German.

They already mopped the floor with the frogs in 2 WWs.

Uh, the French were on the winning side in both those wars, Einstein.

well.............did the germans mob the floor in WW1, ?????????????????
not really from what I always learned the french were holding there own in WW1, and that the USA didn't need to join in, which helped lead to not wanting to get into ww2

what about the 1000 years before WW1? france was top dog, german wasn't much of powerhouse at all, actually they were weak

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Take french. It will be much easier since you already have some spanish.

Ich habe Deutsch von zwei Jahre im Universitat gelehrnt.
Ich kann Deutsch spreche nicht.

Fixed :) (I hope!)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
hated french. all the accents (like, accents on letters, not how to pronounce things) always messed me up

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Originally posted by: paulney

Ich kann Deutsch nicht sprechen?

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Daverino
Originally posted by: paulney

Ich kann Deutsch nicht sprechen?

I think either way works.
Edit: that should have been 'sprechen' of course, you are right.