What kinda bug is this? My house is being swarmed

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
What kind of bug is this? My house is being swarmed with them.

Link to pics of bug and swarming

Pic 1 is a close up of the bug in question.

Pic 2 is between our cars in the garage.

Pic 3 is my driveway.

OK its not really a swarm, but there is a crapload of them, and the pool is full of them in the morning. Or actually their dead carcasses floating on the surface, and their bug guts collecting on the bottom. :(

EDIT

Please give some kudos to my Fuji FinePix cam for the nice Macro shot on the bug :)

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I agree with Beast on this one, you're gonna have to burn the house down, those are nasty.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
IT JUST HIT ME! Sluggo I know who you look like now. You look like my uncle that's pretty much abandoned the family and he's pretty much now a bum.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Fish fly? Do you live close to a big river or lake?

Fish flys come out a couple times each summer. The fsck like bunnies for a day and then die.

Last city I lived in (Dubuque, IA) was right on the Mighty Miss and two or three times each summer this things would show up cover EVERYTHING and then die. There were so many dead bug bodies that you litterally had to sweep the sidewalks up and then use a shovel to scoop up the piles. It was pretty nasty to walk outside because you would have to walk through a wall of bugs.

BTW - love the happy face on the hitch :D

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I think etech is right... nothing else matches as well!

Nasty looking, eh?

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
vi-edit we live about 100 yards from a huge lake. So maybe they will only last a few days. They just all came up real quick, there were none, now there are millions.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000

<< IT JUST HIT ME! Sluggo I know who you look like now. You look like my uncle that's pretty much abandoned the family and he's pretty much now a bum. >>

Crap, I knew I never shuld have posted a pic.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
westfly.com/ento/mays
Mayflies live underwater as nymphs until they reach maturity, then they hatch into winged adults called duns. The duns molt once more into a spinner that mates, then dies. Before dying, the females lay eggs in the river. A mayfly's adult life is brief, usually only a day or two.

Ask any trout fisherman, they could confirm it.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn. I want a digicam that can take pics like that. ;) What did you say you had again?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
You had what every fly fisherman drools over - a big hatch. Go out and get some similar flys and mark your calendar for next year. The trout in that lake will be going nuts over them...

As freaky as this is, it'll be gone as soon as it came. I am gonna guess you've had a lot of rain recently and now one or two days of sun?

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
You should go to the UC Davis Entomology website. I know they'll be able to answer your question because I work for them.

Click on the &quot;Have an Insect Question?&quot; picture, and you can email either of the outrearch services the department provides.

Or directly, email bmuseum@ucdavis.edu with your comment and a link to the picture.

Here are some links for some info on them. They don't cause any harm except allergic reactions in some.

http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod02/01500547.html
http://www.pestproducts.com/mayflies.htm