What kind of TV for HTPC use ?

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
LCD, LED, Plasma ? Is there one specific kind of TV, or one or two specific features that are considered must haves for HTPC users ? Like obviously 1080 support etc.

I ask this because I am, of course, planning a purchase of a nice new TV for my HTPC setup.

My goals are 42" or greater and <1200$, 3D capable if possible.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
LCD, LED, Plasma ? Is there one specific kind of TV, or one or two specific features that are considered must haves for HTPC users ? Like obviously 1080 support etc.

I ask this because I am, of course, planning a purchase of a nice new TV for my HTPC setup.

My goals are 42" or greater and <1200$, 3D capable if possible.
Couple of HDMI ports, a network interface...and a pretty picture.

LCD is nice
LED...is better I guess. Can't really tell the difference between a nice LCD and a uber LED.
Plasma - really nice but the fear of burn in always lingers. Unfounded perhaps but fear kept cavemen from being eaten so I'll just leave it at that,

flocko

Aug 30, 2012
Haha, that's great Paul.

How does this one look ? Doesn't have 2d>3d conversion, but other than that I feel like it does everything I want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

STAY AWAY !!

Don't mean to shout but you really need to re think anything to do with Vizio as far as tv goes . I have a 42" Razor edge lit that shuts off on it's own 2 or 3 times before it "apparently" warms up then it is fine .... real pita !!

Plasma burn in is a thing way in the past .

Samsung gets very good ratings / reviews . However , your budget may hinder this option as Samsung's do tend to be a bit pricey .

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Wow, that vizio is very highly rated, and cheap too. What tv exactly would you recommend, I am of course asking for suggestions and advice afterall.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Are you against the brand or the specific TV ? My first and only hdtv has been a Vizio that has served me well.

Plugers

Mar 22, 2002
I got my parents a 42" Vizio 3 years ago for Christmas and it has never let them down. It was a refurb even.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
as part of my job is tv repair, i see all the kinds of brands from the inside out.

vizio usually includes good guts and good design. they can be a miss sometimes, as they are a budget brand, but for the most part they are pretty much on par with samsung's budget tv's.

if you really want to know what brands to stay away from altogether- thats LG and hitachi. just about every model those companies put out is near garbage. the panels are even low quality. they might look good in the store, but they break and oh do they break often.

and my current favorite type of tv is LED backlit LCD. dont worry if its localized dimming, array or edgelit, it really doesnt matter that much. whats nice about led backlit tv's is power usage, heat output and internal simplicity. there are no inverters inside, and usually just 4 boards (mainboard, power supply, led driver and tcon.) this simple design is why they are lightweight, and also why they dont break very often. contrast that to plasma's and... yikes. inside plasmas you find about 50lbs of computer garbage just waiting for something to go wrong. they can be a downright nightmare to work on, especially if they are LG or hitachi.

and the final thing i want to add, always look at the tv you want to buy in person before you buy. even if you compare two tv's of the same model, they might have different panels or guts inside. which means the picture can vary when you think it wouldnt. see what youre buying, and like what you see.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Wired, based on your knowledge and experience, plz suggest me one or two tvs that fit my needs, preferably from newegg.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i think you should look around on newegg for LED tv's, and find a few you like then post them here. i can give you my opinion from there.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
i think you should look around on newegg for LED tv's, and find a few you like then post them here. i can give you my opinion from there.

What about the vizio I previously posted ? Highly rated, not too pricey. LED to boot.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
as part of my job is tv repair, i see all the kinds of brands from the inside out.
and my current favorite type of tv is LED backlit LCD. dont worry if its localized dimming, array or edgelit, it really doesnt matter that much. whats nice about led backlit tv's is power usage, heat output and internal simplicity. there are no inverters inside, and usually just 4 boards (mainboard, power supply, led driver and tcon.) this simple design is why they are lightweight, and also why they dont break very often.

Thanks, wirednuts. I've been thinking of a new HDTV to replace my old 42" (around $1700 back in 2006 - CRAZY!) and booting the 42" to the bedroom (currently no TV at all). I will have to give LED backlit LCDs weight in my considerations.

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
The Panasonic plasmas took home all the hardware for the best picture this year after proper calibration, fwiw. Cheaper per square inch as well.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
plasmas definitely do have the best images. but not by much anymore. calibration is the biggest key to a good image these days. and if you compare the guts of a plasma to the guts of an LED you would laugh. there is 10x more circuitry in a plasma. thats why they draw multiple times more power, and why they are so much heavier and hotter running. the frames that hold plasmas together alone weigh about 20lbs.

its pretty much like comparing an amd dual core machine that uses dust collecting fans to a rasberry pi thats passively cooled.

as to why plasmas are cheaper? who knows. it doesnt make sense, but i think it has to do with led's being new and commanding an artificial premium. that, and people do pay more for devices that are energy efficient.

Last edited:

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Panasonic claims $32 annually for their 65" Plasma. Not saying I am buying that number but just reporting the information. Unless you have your TV on all day long I would think that the energy usage between an LED/LCD and Plasma is relatively small per month. And if you want a 60" TV the cheaper cost of the plasma would likely take a long time to recoup from energy savings of the more expensive yet more efficient LED/LED.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Oh Billy.... I just pulled the trigger on a Panasonic 55" Viera Plasma !

I'm sorry, but if Assasin has it, it's automatically good enough for me.

flocko

Aug 30, 2012
Smart move !!

Please come back and tell us about your experiance . I know for a fact that Assassin loves his

Ok , let me turn my Vizio on now so I can go through the torture before Monday night football comes on .... :thumbsdown:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Panasonic claims $32 annually for their 65" Plasma. Not saying I am buying that number but just reporting the information. Unless you have your TV on all day long I would think that the energy usage between an LED/LCD and Plasma is relatively small per month. And if you want a 60" TV the cheaper cost of the plasma would likely take a long time to recoup from energy savings of the more expensive yet more efficient LED/LED.

i never understood those numbers. for me anyway, it seems every tv i add costs at least $10 more a month in power bills.....

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I would never buy a TV from internet.

That's just about the only item I buy local.

Best buy has never failed me, but you do have to look out for sales etc.