What kind of strap do you use?

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
I've decided I'm not too happy with the strap that came with my XTi and I'd like to replace it with something that fits me better. I've been looking at the Lowepro Transporter and the Tamrac N-25 but I'd like people's opinions on other straps or even on these two.

Thanks.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Take a look at the optech straps. I have the pro strap and it is very nice. The edges are "unfinished" so to speak so it looks kinda blah vs my buddy's tamrac (dunno what model, sorry) but he says he sorta wishes the edges weren't finished so he wouldn't feel it as much.

But the optech does feel real nice, but if you start sweating, it gets a little annoying. altho, I'm not sure if there's a strap that wouldn't.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Originally posted by: BornStar
I've decided I'm not too happy with the strap that came with my XTi and I'd like to replace it with something that fits me better. I've been looking at the Lowepro Transporter and the Tamrac N-25 but I'd like people's opinions on other straps or even on these two.

Thanks.

I use the straps that came with both of my cameras, (Rebel Xt and Rebel XTi) and I havent seen a need to change form the, they work just fine....

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SaigonK
Originally posted by: BornStar

Thanks.

I use the straps that came with both of my cameras, (Rebel Xt and Rebel XTi) and I havent seen a need to change form the, they work just fine....
It does work, I won't dispute that, but it's uncomfortable for me. I'm a rather tall individual and I have trouble moving it out of my way without taking it off. It also digs into my neck when I just have it hanging from my neck. I figure I can find something that's a lot more comfortable for me.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've been thinking about getting the UPstrap for awhile now, but I haven't bothered to order one. When I go on an extended trip, I will. For now, my Sony strap is ok, but my older Konica-Minolta strap was better.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
As you can see from the responses already, this is a very subjective thing. Not a one size fits all. I would suggest you visit a local camera shop that has many choices and try them out for feel based on your particular build, etc.

I have always found the factory straps to be perfectly comfortable, but I can understand how body differences can affect that.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I think my OEM strap is a bit uncomfortable, but I'm not going to run out and get a new one.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
My camera is on me for 8+ hours at a time. It's holding a 30D, grip, flash, and some sort of fast zoom lens.
The optech is lifesaver. However, I have to handwash it once in a while. It can get funky after a days work in hot weather.
I'm sure that's the same for any strap. I have to wash my watchband too.

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Op/Tech pro loop strap here as well. The neoprene has saved my neck plenty of times. When I bring my backpack I can switch on the neck strap for the swivel hooks instantly.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
I've gone through a few Optech Pro's so I switched to the Classic about half a year ago. It's a little more compact (never liked how bulky the Pro was) and I like how the edges don't fray, but I do admit the Pro is more comfortable.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Do you people wear the strap like a... necklace around your neck? Or do you wear the strap like a holster and carry the camera on your side? Did this play into your strap buying decision?

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Do you people wear the strap like a... necklace around your neck? Or do you wear the strap like a holster and carry the camera on your side? Did this play into your strap buying decision?

Around my neck if I am just holding one camera. If I am carrying a backup, I have the backup over one shoulder with the main around my neck. It really depends on what you shoot. If you are an event photographer and carrying your camera around all day its prob more comfortable to wear it around your shoulder. If you take studio shoots, you wouldn't even need one at all. If you are just out shooting for pleasure, I would wear it around my neck.