What kind of music do you listen to while you work?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I tend to listen to classical, laid back electronic music, and even some LoFi. What are you guys listening to at work?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
When i'm not listening to Death Metal, Black Metal, Prog Metal, Jazz Funk, or genre spanning artists like Ihsahn or Ulver, then sometimes I listen to Donny Benet.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
60s and 70s rock, 2000s country, a little 90s alt like silvertide, incubus, etc

i have been on a Chicago and similar kick lately.

i use amazon music. Pandora kept trying to push all my stations to things that were not related at all to my thumbs ups. it seemed to be a gender discrimination issue. i was seeking out some female artists because i noticed my stations were 99% male. i found some great songs, that truly fit in my stations, ie: southern rock. but every time i would add a female artist it would start playing modern shitty pop music. on my country statoin, on my southern rock station, i tried making new ones starting with those artists, i tried down voting a lot of the pop, but as soon as i did that it went back to 99% male. as if every woman artist fits in that category no matter the music they produce. it really started to piss me off, so i'm done with them. i tried Spotify, but did not like it. amazon does not have nearly the selection, but its easy to get a variety and it stays on topic. really just something i am living with because I liked that about Pandora, lots of artists to find, but the gender thing is too much for me to stick with it.

any good suggestions for a music service?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

i use amazon music. Pandora kept trying to push all my stations to things that were not related at all to my thumbs ups. it seemed to be a gender discrimination issue. i was seeking out some female artists because i noticed my stations were 99% male. i found some great songs, that truly fit in my stations, ie: southern rock. but every time i would add a female artist it would start playing modern shitty pop music. on my country statoin, on my southern rock station, i tried making new ones starting with those artists, i tried down voting a lot of the pop, but as soon as i did that it went back to 99% male. as if every woman artist fits in that category no matter the music they produce. it really started to piss me off, so i'm done with them. i tried Spotify, but did not like it. amazon does not have nearly the selection, but its easy to get a variety and it stays on topic. really just something i am living with because I liked that about Pandora, lots of artists to find, but the gender thing is too much for me to stick with it.

Nothing wrong with local storage music, which is whatever you want.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The only streaming I use is somafm. Commercial free, and their playlists have what I want to listen to when I don't want to hear my own music.

If I'm working in the field, and it's quiet, I listen to my phone. It has all kinds of stuff on it. For computer work, I like classical, ambient, post rock, stuff like that...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I use bandcamp, but, don't have any sort of subscription service. I just buy the mp3s i want and download them. In my car, I just use thumbdrives stuffed with mp3s

Reactions: biostud

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

I'm using Amazon Music too but I find their desktop and web-based app interfaces are not very intuitive at all.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Working my day job? I prefer silence.
Working on personal chores/projects, it varies wildly.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Office work, NPR is on in the background. Editing photos, a mish mash of indie pop stuff mostly to some indie rock, streamed on Tidal.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Try Tidal and see how their recommendation works for your genres. If you have higher end audio gear they have a pricier plan for higher quality streaming, including some master level recordings.