What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
kongnamulbap (soybean sprouts bibimbap)

oVc9jkth.jpg

6Y94eiCh.jpg

And bought box of napa cabbage and box of korean radish to make kimchi tomorrow.
CAW9mfKh.jpg

But today we have to prepare the cabbage. Just finished cutting the cabbages in half and salting it. Going to let it sit overnight in the salt brine. Have to flip it about every 3-4 hours during the night for even coverage. My wife is kimchi master, and I'm her helper. We make a great team. Making kimchi in bulk is not easy for one person as it's very involved process.
PHC8az8.jpg

8hylmws.jpg

If we lived by the ocean, we would've used ocean water to salt the cabbage. But sadly we don't. But sea salt in water works just as well.

You guys are no joke, I wish I had more Korean food fans around me. And restaurants. There's a good one in Montreal, one in Montpelier but it's only open for lunch. Bit of a drive. Hey we own same weed wacker, possibly same mower too.

What do you use to 'get her going'? I know in Korea they throw some oysters or tiny fish/shellfish in there, you do that or is there a packet of something involved?

Nice looking bao you got there pmoa!

Reactions: pmoa

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You guys are no joke, I wish I had more Korean food fans around me. And restaurants. There's a good one in Montreal, one in Montpelier but it's only open for lunch. Bit of a drive. Hey we own same weed wacker, possibly same mower too.

What do you use to 'get her going'? I know in Korea they throw some oysters or tiny fish/shellfish in there, you do that or is there a packet of something involved?

Nice looking bao you got there pmoa!
We used salted shrimp and anchovies sauce.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Been doing some baking every day. Goal is one loaf (or tortilla or whatever bready thing I'm in the mood for) a day. Documenting my progress on Instagram:

Lots of stuff to play with...homemade sourdough starter, home-milled wheat kernels, cold fermentation, etc.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
First try with a pellet smoker. Doing some ribs, corn on the cob and fried okra. I cook for 2 these days so no rolls or beans. It's really hard to cook small quantities after cooking for a wife and 6 kids for 20 years.

Reactions: Kaido

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Frozen South Korea made udon are fairly convenient. So are Frozen Taiwanese fishballs, which is a version of this

I've only really had luck with the dried udon noodles but that's probably due to supply around here.

Those fish balls sound vaguely like Portuguese pasteis de bacalhau. Which are awesome.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
this morning breakfast: ham, egg, cheese breakfast burrito and fresh fruits
uKUi4CEh.jpg

And made more kimchi. This time cucumber kimchi. DIdn't have thin garlic chives at the house and didn't feel like driving to the asian grocery store to buy it. So substituted and made with regular green onions instead.
Lj3zDs8h.jpg

fUEyUYlh.jpg

W5DWZIHh.jpg

8BUvAdah.jpg

Reactions: Zanovar

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Jesus.Some excellent looking and very tasty looking food here.Awesome.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm liking the kimchi thing going on. The only time I get it is in small portions at the noodle shop in town and its fantastic.
I really need to learn to make it then I can eat big bowls of it!