What kind of mask are you wearing?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
also i went through a drive-thru tonight and the goth kid was wearing his mask around his neck

Ah, the ol' "Chin Diaper". Most effective COVID preventer out there :)

Seriously, though... does ANYONE in Florida wear masks? When I watch Cleetus McFarland videos on YouTube (Hell yeah, brother!), there isn't a mask to be seen.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Best I've used:

3M N95's. I bought them for wildfire smoke in N. California way before the pandemic. I was working on my garage, trying to finish before the rains 3 years ago, needed masks to survive. I got them cheap off Ebay. I had bought some non-3M N95s locally that sucked. One 3M order off ebay had vents, and I wear them skating the streets daily. The other set are 3M 9210, which have no vent, so are better for the pandemic. Both 3M sets fit perfectly when I am careful how I put them on. They also work best when I'm clean shaven, and if I'm concerned about infection I will shave before going out with one. I gave away more than a dozen 3M N95s but now I'm holding onto them.

Surprising amount of my co-workers decided now was a great time to grow a beard.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Anyone else getting friggin acne on their nose because of the masks? First it was the surgical mask, and now a black cotton form-fitting one.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Surprising amount of my co-workers decided now was a great time to grow a beard.
Really, it's the time to shave it off. Didn't shower today, but shaved a Van Dike to accommodate my N95 for my skate.

When I was strictly shelter in place a few months ago I grew a beard for maybe 2 weeks but gave up. The itchiness! Ordered some beard wax but shaved before it arrived. A Van Dike doesn't bother me much in comparison. Doesn't interfere with an N95 either.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Anyone else getting friggin acne on their nose because of the masks? First it was the surgical mask, and now a black cotton form-fitting one.

Nope. Maybe you need to check your hygiene and diet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
At the gym - Under Armour
Out and about without glasses - Adidas
Out and about with glasses - standard surgical style mask with the wire around the nose so my glasses don't fog

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Apparently ones that don't work. I'm home sick and waiting for the results of the test.

• Wow
Reactions: skyking

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
My job gives me N95’s today I wore a 3M 8210, they switched me over to the 3M 9105 recently because they leaves less bruises my face. We have mask reuse program so I have to be careful with them

Reactions: brianmanahan

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I just got my results,. by text apparently. Just the flu.

So with a mask and continuously washing my hands I still caught the flu.....

• Wow
Reactions: skyking

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I have a couple from a local shop that I got in March and then I also have a set of 5 from Hanes.com. I have some KN 95s from Aliexpress but I don't wear them regularly. Cloth mask is enough.

Here’s my old Hanes mask.
3CFE3752-C08B-4281-939A-BEF9CE51D731.jpeg

I picked up some newer Hanes masks recently. I heard Hanes converted a jock strap factory to a mask factory so the new ones fit better. :)

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

David Henry

Oct 27, 2020
Best I've used:

3M N95's. I bought them for wildfire smoke in N. California way before the pandemic. I was working on my garage, trying to finish before the rains 3 years ago, needed masks to survive. I got them cheap off Ebay. I had bought some non-3M N95s locally that sucked. One 3M order off ebay had vents, and I wear them skating the streets daily. The other set are 3M 9210, which have no vent, so are better for the pandemic. Both 3M sets fit perfectly when I am careful how I put them on. They also work best when I'm clean shaven, and if I'm concerned about infection I will shave before going out with one. I gave away more than a dozen 3M N95s but now I'm holding onto them.
Okay. Thank you so much for your helpful comments. Now I feel comfortable to buy this mask.

Reactions: Muse

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have some round face masks that come from china and say N95 on it but i suspect they are not real N95.
I normally dont wear those because they hurt, but rather wear the rectangular standard ER mask that come 5 to a packet of £1. much looser fit, they are meant to stop spit, and while they have *some* effectiveness against flu, they are less than idea. They do however fit better with a beard.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i have some round face masks that come from china and say N95 on it but i suspect they are not real N95.
I normally dont wear those because they hurt, but rather wear the rectangular standard ER mask that come 5 to a packet of £1. much looser fit, they are meant to stop spit, and while they have *some* effectiveness against flu, they are less than idea. They do however fit better with a beard.
You might wanna shave that beard... or at least the part of your face where the mask would make good contact without a beard. I do that between full shaves. I full shave ~2x/week.