What kind of keyboard do you use for gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LtMikePowelll

Jan 12, 2011
Logitech G510 for me :D. BTW, I'm a very devout Logitech guy, using G9x, G500, G110, G35, G700 and G730 and G510 for the past few years.:D (too many G for me)

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Logitech G105. It's perfect for my needs.

I recently got the G105 too, good upgrade over my old 'generic' Logitech keyboard. Recognising multiple key presses is probably the biggest improvement for me (followed by the backlight and ability to disable Windows key).

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Does a Nostromo N52 count? It has keys on it. My full sized keyboard generally sits unused when I game but the N52 handles everything I need key wise.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2013. I used to use a Logitech G15, which was fine. I dont think keyboards matter that much. I mainly get gaming keyboards for backlit keys. Some games would benefit from macro keys.

The illuminated keys are also the main reason I choose a "gaming" keyboard. I like to shut all the lights off, and I don't think I could ever live without it now.

I can't handle the clicking of mechanicals, so that rules those out for me. They do feel very nice!

Been pretty happy with the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. Pretty affordable as well.

The keys feel slightly smaller and with less travel than the typical keyboard, which I've grown a bit fond of, but I can see how some people wouldn't get along with it.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Recognising multiple key presses is probably the biggest improvement for me (followed by the backlight and ability to disable Windows key).
Yep, I mainly wanted the backlight but the rest you mentioned (plus being very quiet too) are great bonuses.

Mar 10, 2005
What kind of keyboard do you use for gaming?

a terrible one

k90_top_us_lit.png

corsair k90 - i'm all done with corsair products

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
Microsoft X6 KB

ms-sidewinder-x6-full.jpg

Only because it came with my laptop. Works great for farming shit in mmos using the macro\repeat feature. Only thing I dont like about it is that it takes up a shit load of desktop space.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL

Full N-Key rollover over USB
up to 50 programmable macros (never use that function, but it is there)
All keys are Cherry Browns

ts-g1bl.png

(note: you can remove the stupid hand rest)

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
The illuminated keys are also the main reason I choose a "gaming" keyboard. I like to shut all the lights off, and I don't think I could ever live without it now.

Yeah, I got used to backlit keys from using Macbook Pros. You would think all keyboards would have it. Now all they need to is have more color options. I would prefer white or amber, but its always something like blue or red. Kinda like the green on the Black Window.

I can't handle the clicking of mechanicals, so that rules those out for me. They do feel very nice!

Yeah, the first one I had was Black Window I had was really loud. I kinda like it...reminds me of the old IBM keyboards, but it was annoying for people on voip. The Stealth is better, but its still loud. Now I just use PTT for voip apps.

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Yeah, the first one I had was Black Window I had was really loud. I kinda like it...reminds me of the old IBM keyboards, but it was annoying for people on voip. The Stealth is better, but its still loud. Now I just use PTT for voip apps.

I use a K60 with cherry reds. No click.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
for fps games i use my n52te gamepad and my mouse:

1Belkinn52te.jpg

razer-naga-hex-gallery-1.png

for mmo games i use my logitech g15 and mouse

Logitech_Gaming-Keyboard_G15.jpg

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Corsair K70 Vengeance - cherry red mechanical switches.
k70_straight_k_us.png

Same here. The feel is so much better. I not a very good gamer, but I think the feel alone is worth the price for me.

Also I like how easy it is to clean.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
that does look sexy.

What exactly is mechanical keyboard anyway? Is it those old 90's KB that had metal springs and made spring sound every time?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
CMstorm Quickfire. Grab a wrist rest if you get one because this thing sits almost a inch high in front. heh

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I use a DAS Professional, but I do a ton of typing in my spare time. Gaming keyboards always feel like cheap junk when not gaming, so I now avoid them. I had a G710+ and it just felt cheap.

I am probably going to pick up an Orbweaver or whatever the Logitech version is though.

Squeetard

Nov 13, 2004
Does a Nostromo N52 count? It has keys on it. My full sized keyboard generally sits unused when I game but the N52 handles everything I need key wise.

This. I've used one of these for so long I can't remember. Never go back.
I do have a G19 though, mainly for the LCD screen, I like to monitor my system.

Feb 4, 2009
I had a Logitech G11 but my GF really liked it so now I use a $9 or $12 logitech pretty generic keyboard. Honestly besides the back lighting I kind of prefer the cheaper keyboard.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Microsoft X6 KB

ms-sidewinder-x6-full.jpg

Only because it came with my laptop. Works great for farming shit in mmos using the macro\repeat feature. Only thing I dont like about it is that it takes up a shit load of desktop space.

This is what I have. Works fine. No complaints.

KT

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I have a g15. Its nice to have the little display for things like ventrilo chat without the overlay. Having a clock up while gaming, etc. Macro functions are useful on occasion too.

Biggest reason over a generic though is so you can register enough keypresses simultaneously. A good gaming keyboard will let you press just about every key in the WASD area without losing strokes.