What kind of keyboard do you use for gaming?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
I use an old Logitech G15. When it came out, it was one of the best gaming KBs. It still does the trick for me, and those 18 extra programmable keys really help with sims and MMOs.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
What does the ambient light availability have to do with being able to properly navigate a keyboard without looking? There are two bumps on every keyboard on the 'F' and 'J' keys signifying where you are. If you can't find your position around that, I can only assume you hunt and peck when you type and breathe primarily out of your mouth.

I am probably a bit bias because I essentially type for a living.

I'm not a typing nerd.

Sometimes my hands slip out of place when I'm grabbing a sip of beer or something and I need to be able to put them down in the right place quickly. But I get it - the whole "you can't play games without looking at your kb?" bit is classic troll material, so you sort of got me.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I can easily type over 120 wpm, and I still prefer an illuminated keyboard in the dark.

Doesn't matter much with FPSes but with RPG's that control map a lot of different keys, I certainly glance down at times to grab odd keys, especially since I'm using my left hand to hit them all...bumps on "F" and "J" mean nothing when you're fingers aren't there in the first place.

TheBigEarl

May 23, 2013
Use a CM Stormtrigger with cherry blacks. Doesn't make much noise, and has key illumination. I like it, but wouldn't have got it if it wasn't on a really good sale. Mech keyboards are overpriced generally.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless with Cherry Brown Switches. Paid $189 for it(had to import it from UK at the time). Worth every penny.

Eventually I plan on getting a set of custom key caps for it.

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I just went for best bang for buck. Never used a "gaming" exclusive keyboard before, so I got the Microsoft Sidewinder 4 for $36.00 last year. Works fine for me.

The Wife

trillock

Oct 26, 2013
What does the ambient light availability have to do with being able to properly navigate a keyboard without looking? There are two bumps on every keyboard on the 'F' and 'J' keys signifying where you are. If you can't find your position around that, I can only assume you hunt and peck when you type and breathe primarily out of your mouth.

I am probably a bit bias because I essentially type for a living.

I too used to type for a living, and probably learnt to type before you were born....:D
That was when I was in Signals in the RAF, so I learnt in training in 1961.

However, now and again I will check my hands on the G15 keyboard if I have it in a slightly different position on my desk..........and I am not ashamed of it either. :biggrin:

P.S. It seems that the Logitech G15 (original) is quite popular on here. I bought mine, not totally for the extra keys, but it was new, shiny, and wanted it. :cool:

Last edited:

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
I have a logitech G15, the second version. I love it. I only use one of the macro buttons, to make teemo laugh constantly.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
P.S. It seems that the Logitech G15 (original) is quite popular on here. I bought mine, not totally for the extra keys, but it was new, shiny, and wanted it. :cool:

Thats kinda how it is with everything on this forum. You guys listed all these other keyboards and got me looking at them. Also bought a Logitech keyboard with custom color backlighting for each key.

g510s-gaming-keyboard-images.png

And they also have a "silent" mechanical keyboard. I think I just need to back out of the thread before I have another keyboard in its box in my closet.

Last edited: