What kind of income do I need to not make to benefit from Barack Obama?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I benefit from Romney. I make under 6 figures, but I'm single. No house. No child. No deductions worth crap.

I'll pay less under Romney with his 20% income tax cut.

I also have some capital gains which would get tucked away under Romney.

I ran this through a calculator to be sure, but it sounds pretty true to me.

How could you possibly know how much you'd pay under Romney? You're comparing the existing tax structure with an undefined one that probably will never get passed?

Do you think that a Senate containing 41 Democrats is going to allow ANY substantive legislation to pass, after 2 years of complete Republican obstructionism?

Keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Your battle is in the enforcement of laws already in place, not the proposal of ANY healthcare plan currently being proposed, though suffice to say you'd basically be taking the burden you're complaining about now and dumping it on somebody else regardless because UNTIL we enforce laws already in place, ER's will still be full of those who won't pay a dime and quite honestly, those who aren't supposed to be in this country in the first place. And you'd want to take those legal issues up with the current POS.......errrr.....excuse me.....POTUS.

No my battle in my quote is with exactly what I was talking about, people who think they should be able to skip over those pesky little insurance deductions at work in the hopes they never get sick and when they do... get treated and blow it off. There is no law against that so not sure what are you talking about. No one comes and arrests you for being a deadbeat so my battle isn't with any current laws in place like you are saying nor did I say anything that could be construed as shifting the burden on someone else. I was replying to RA about tax penalties not something already in place.

You seem to have a beef with illegal immigrants which I'll admit isn't something I see a lot of in the ER's I have worked at but yes I agree it is yet another one of the 'major factors' I mentioned in my post you quoted that are driving our premiums up. That's something we certainly have to tackle to but does not mean we should continue to turn a blind eye to the other parts of the problem. I will continue to like the idea of tax penalty for people who roll the dice since we aren't ever going to put a gun to your head and say you have to buy a product you don't want to. This is something that needed fixing.

Trust me, there are shitloads of stuff I see on a daily basis that let's me know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Obamacare doesn't go anywhere near close to solving all the problems that drive our costs up. Don't even get me started on the biggest problem that I see where I work... the people who already have their free government health care (not some new Obamacare) that use the ER as a revolving door for every little GD problem they have none of which could even be close to being considered emergencies or life threatening. You see the same people there every month, sometimes every week, and the pain med seekers? Every night. We have to treat and stabilize and Uncle Sam gets the bill... a bill that is XXX higher than it would have been had they just gone to an urgent care or *gasp* go make an appointment to see their PCP in the morning. The list goes on and on...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
How could you possibly know how much you'd pay under Romney? You're comparing the existing tax structure with an undefined one that probably will never get passed?

Do you think that a Senate containing 41 Democrats is going to allow ANY substantive legislation to pass, after 2 years of complete Republican obstructionism?

Keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking.

Do you realize there's several key assumptions here?

1) How much I'd pay under Obama is simply letting the Bush tax rates expire.

- One could argue Obama could suddenly extend them for a year.
- Or perhaps Obama extends only certain parts of it.

2) I'm calculating how much I'd pay under Romney's plan.
- One could argue that it won't pass, but does the whole thing not pass or do parts of it not pass? You don't even know that. If his 20% across the board slash passes, I pay less. If he provides any relief for capital gains taxes compared to Obama, I pay less. If he allows me to opt out of social security, I pay less.

The point is how do I benefit from Obama's plan to let the Bush taxes expire? I don't.

Just to be fair I'll tell you my taxes did decrease under Obama in 2009 when he passed some sort of relief measure. It was like $10 a paycheck or something very minimal. But that was soon offset when taxes rose in the state of CA.

The point is there are assumptions and its based on what the candidates have said will happen. It's just like Tax Policy Center and all those 3rd party research groups. You perform analysis on people's PLANS. Things end up differing in the end, but that's out of our control. If you're going to make assumptions based on gut feeling, then your assumptions are as good as anyone else's pulled out of their ass.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Do you realize there's several key assumptions here?

1) How much I'd pay under Obama is simply letting the Bush tax rates expire.

- One could argue Obama could suddenly extend them for a year.
- Or perhaps Obama extends only certain parts of it.

2) I'm calculating how much I'd pay under Romney's plan.
- One could argue that it won't pass, but does the whole thing not pass or do parts of it not pass? You don't even know that. If his 20% across the board slash passes, I pay less. If he provides any relief for capital gains taxes compared to Obama, I pay less. If he allows me to opt out of social security, I pay less.

The point is how do I benefit from Obama's plan to let the Bush taxes expire? I don't.

Just to be fair I'll tell you my taxes did decrease under Obama in 2009 when he passed some sort of relief measure. It was like $10 a paycheck or something very minimal. But that was soon offset when taxes rose in the state of CA.

The point is there are assumptions and its based on what the candidates have said will happen. It's just like Tax Policy Center and all those 3rd party research groups. You perform analysis on people's PLANS. Things end up differing in the end, but that's out of our control. If you're going to make assumptions based on gut feeling, then your assumptions are as good as anyone else's pulled out of their ass.

But it's foolish to make decisions based on campaign "promises" that are so politically divisive that there's no way in hell they'll ever get passed, and so lacking in details that they can hardly be called "proposals." Just look at Obama's "promise" to raise taxes on those making more than $250,000.

Might the Bush tax cuts be extended? Absolutely, if they're part of an overall, major budget deal between the two parties. Might Romney's pie-in-the-sky, "ask me for the details after I'm elected" "proposal" get passed? Not in this lifetime.

Feb 19, 2001
But it's foolish to make decisions based on campaign "promises" that are so politically divisive that there's no way in hell they'll ever get passed, and so lacking in details that they can hardly be called "proposals." Just look at Obama's "promise" to raise taxes on those making more than $250,000.

Might the Bush tax cuts be extended? Absolutely, if they're part of an overall, major budget deal between the two parties. Might Romney's pie-in-the-sky, "ask me for the details after I'm elected" "proposal" get passed? Not in this lifetime.

I'm basing my analysis on Tax Policy Center's analysis and Mitt Romney's website, and the status quo and how the Bush tax cuts will expire.

I will pay less under Romney's tax plan.

Whether it gets passed or not is a totally different story.

Did you vote for Obama knowing that he probably couldn't change that much of the system to begin with? Like closing Gitmo, drone attacks, spying on Americans (and now killing them).