Question What kind of hardware would I need for 3 monitors?

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I am thinking about using 3 flat screens as a gaming setup. What kind of CPU/GPU would I need to get reasonable frame rate if set the resolution at 1920x1080(5,760x1080) or 1680 x 1050(5040x1050)?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
What games do you plan to play and are you willing to play at medium settings and not use raytracing? Or do you want everything at max?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Windows allows each gpu to drive up to 4 monitors if it supports it. Resolution is gpu dependent as is fps. CPU and GPU determine performance as does monitor quality.

The OP hasn't offered any relevant information other than he wants to use 3 monitors, however, I can offer you a comparison. On my monitors LG 38" nano ips curve 3840x1600 and benq 34" nano ips curve 3440x1440 both at 144hz my desktop with 13900k and rtx 4090 will play world of warships on the primary monitor at max settings around 270-300fps. If I hook my laptop up to the same monitors it can play it at between 60-70 fps same settings with a 5800h and rtx 3060.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Running 3 monitors isn't that much of a task unless you plan to do it at a high refresh rate or use very demanding games. I have 3 24" 1920x1080 monitors running off of integrated graphics from a Dell XPS 15 laptop for work. Office programs really don't need much. It also has a GTX1650 in it for when things get more demanding, like some light CAD work. My previous desktop had a GTX1060 in it and ran those same 3 monitors as well, but only the middle one for gaming. Games like Division 2 struggled to reach 60fps though with an i7-920 CPU. Now I have the system in my signature and run the same game well above 144fps, again, on the same 3 monitors.

So, as the others mentioned, you'll need to be a little more specific about your use case. What games? What refresh rate? Games only on one monitor or all 3? What other tasks will you be running while gaming?

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Running 3 monitors isn't that much of a task unless you plan to do it at a high refresh rate or use very demanding games. I have 3 24" 1920x1080 monitors running off of integrated graphics from a Dell XPS 15 laptop for work. Office programs really don't need much. It also has a GTX1650 in it for when things get more demanding, like some light CAD work. My previous desktop had a GTX1060 in it and ran those same 3 monitors as well, but only the middle one for gaming. Games like Division 2 struggled to reach 60fps though with an i7-920 CPU. Now I have the system in my signature and run the same game well above 144fps, again, on the same 3 monitors.

So, as the others mentioned, you'll need to be a little more specific about your use case. What games? What refresh rate? Games only on one monitor or all 3? What other tasks will you be running while gaming?

They would be TV's so refresh rate would be 120hz. I want to game on all three monitors. The panoramic view for FPS/FPRPG is what I was looking for. I don't have any specific games in mind but something like Mechwarrior 5 comes to mind. I do tend to play older games because my current gaming computer is very dated. I would like to have reasonably high setting not necessarily maxed out though. I usually game at 1680x1050 because I have trouble reading on screen text when I go to 1920x1080.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
They would be TV's so refresh rate would be 120hz. I want to game on all three monitors. The panoramic view for FPS/FPRPG is what I was looking for. I don't have any specific games in mind but something like Mechwarrior 5 comes to mind. I do tend to play older games because my current gaming computer is very dated. I would like to have reasonably high setting not necessarily maxed out though. I usually game at 1680x1050 because I have trouble reading on screen text when I go to 1920x1080.

Fwiw, TVs typically have much higher input lag than monitors unless you’re really picky and on top of those settings.

I’d go for one ultra wide monitor and call it a day, but I understand the appeal.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Fwiw, TVs typically have much higher input lag than monitors unless you’re really picky and on top of those settings.

I’d go for one ultra wide monitor and call it a day, but I understand the appeal.

I've gamed on TV's for 10+ years and never had a problem for the most part. And pretty much everyone with a console games on a TV. I'm just doing an initial evaluation to see if it's worth while to consider. It would be a big under taking.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I've gamed on TV's for 10+ years and never had a problem for the most part. And pretty much everyone with a console games on a TV. I'm just doing an initial evaluation to see if it's worth while to consider. It would be a big under taking.

Unless you are putting the TV into 'game mode' (Which bypasses all the processing they normally do), the input latency is terrible. You can get used to it, to where you wont notice it much. But there is a reason a lot of console games have an input lag setting to calibrate it so that you button presses don't feel as laggy.

But we still need to know what games you want to play, and what resolution the displays are.

Reactions: ZGR

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

If it was me I’d start by just getting three identical monitors like these ($80 75 hz 24” 1080p IPS minimum frames) and… seeing how it works out. If it works well, get the dream setup. If it’s clunky and disappointing then you are out max $240 if you just put them in the trash.

I lied, I’d get 3 of these. Much more likely to be of reasonable quality, plus Freesync. (Dell, $100 each)

The only reason I am not buying one right now is that I need the stand to be height adjustable.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesdsimone

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Unless you are putting the TV into 'game mode' (Which bypasses all the processing they normally do), the input latency is terrible. You can get used to it, to where you wont notice it much. But there is a reason a lot of console games have an input lag setting to calibrate it so that you button presses don't feel as laggy.

But we still need to know what games you want to play, and what resolution the displays are.

All mid range and up TV's have game mode. The LG C2 gets good ratings for low input lag from what I have read.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Well if we are talking an easy $3k plus in displays then a 4090 and a rig to run it seems way more reasonable!

The whole thing displays plus hardware would probably run 5000.00-6000.00 so this is mostly a mental excercise. I could do it if I really wanted to but not sure if it would be worth it.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
All mid range and up TV's have game mode. The LG C2 gets good ratings for low input lag from what I have read.

Well, yeah. It still needs to be placed in that mode, its not automatic. On my TV for instance, I have to configure that specific HDMI port for it.

The whole thing displays plus hardware would probably run 5000.00-6000.00 so this is mostly a mental excercise. I could do it if I really wanted to but not sure if it would be worth it.

I mean, "High End Gaming" is never "worth it" unless you are making money off of it by streaming, or competing or something.

It just comes down to if you want to or not.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
If you plan to use TVs just be aware that most videocards have one hdmi and 3xDP and depending on the TV it might not have a DP so you need a converter.

Reactions: Stuka87

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Well, yeah. It still needs to be placed in that mode, its not automatic. On my TV for instance, I have to configure that specific HDMI port for it.

I mean, "High End Gaming" is never "worth it" unless you are making money off of it by streaming, or competing or something.

It just comes down to if you want to or not.

I know I need a new dishwasher more that a high end triple monitor gaming setup.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015

If it was me I’d start by just getting three identical monitors like these ($80 75 hz 24” 1080p IPS minimum frames) and… seeing how it works out. If it works well, get the dream setup. If it’s clunky and disappointing then you are out max $240 if you just put them in the trash.

I lied, I’d get 3 of these. Much more likely to be of reasonable quality, plus Freesync. (Dell, $100 each)

The only reason I am not buying one right now is that I need the stand to be height adjustable.

Very good idea.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I'm specifically looking for TV support. I was looking at 3x55". Will AMD eyefinity handle all the multidisplay support or does the game have to support it?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I'm specifically looking for TV support. I was looking at 3x55". Will AMD eyefinity handle all the multidisplay support or does the game have to support it?

As noted above, whatever TVs you are using need to have display port inputs. Pretty much no video card has three HDMI ports. Eyefinity is specifically for multiple monitors.

The other issue with TVs is that most of them do not have support for variable refresh (AdaptiveSync/FreeSync).

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
As noted above, whatever TVs you are using need to have display port inputs. Pretty much no video card has three HDMI ports. Eyefinity is specifically for multiple monitors.

The other issue with TVs is that most of them do not have support for variable refresh (AdaptiveSync/FreeSync).

The LG C2 and QNED both support FreeSync G-sync and HDMI Forum VRR and 120hz up to 1440p. There are Display port to HDMI converter cables.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Eyefinity stitches the displays together logically and presents them as a single display of the combined size to the game, so as long as the game can support the custom resolution, it should work fine.

Reactions: jamesdsimone