What kind of hardware will I need for a DVR?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
these things work with video compression right? so presumably i would need a decent CPU? would 1 Ghz be enough? is there any substantial difference with Duron and Athlon when it comes to this?

ram... i'm guessing i won't need too much... 256 sound good?

also, is there anything the ATI 8500 AIW has that the 7500 AIW doesn't (that i would need for a DVR)? i mean, other than the 8500 engine, of course :p

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Hard disk is pretty much the most important thing - go for the fastest 7200rpm drive, as large as you can afford.

Athlons are considerably better than durons at the same speed, especially in things such as video encoding. Go for the cheapest athlon XP you can find.

256mb ram should be plenty, although if you're planning on running XP I would go for more.

The AIW 7500 is lacking only the firewire compared to the AIW 8500, i believe. It also has an analogue tuner rather than a digital one, but apart from marginally slower channel-hopping you shouldnt notice the difference.

hope that helps...

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
thanks for the info woodchuck... i have some spare hd's that are pretty fast. that's why i'm doing this project :)

do you know if such a set up will work on linux? like is the 7500 supported? i really would like to use linux for something... just so i can be cool... :D

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
bump :)

btw, i'm pretty sure it is, but i just wanted to make sure, it is okay to have 512 and 256 sticks of DDR2100 on the same board, right? i'm thinking of getting a 512, and switching it with one of the 256's in my computer.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
For TV time shifting?

At the moment a Tivo or ReplayTV are the way to go. I get my shows recorded, no messing with a PC and all its quirks

If you want to edit and such, pay no attention to me

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

<< For TV time shifting?
At the moment a Tivo or ReplayTV are the way to go. I get my shows recorded, no messing with a PC and all its quirks
If you want to edit and such, pay no attention to me
>>

uh well... i actually want the pc. not for editing but because this is a project for fun, and because i would like to be able to use the internet downstairs.